Evidence explains why UN & Aliies failed to support US

woiyo

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 01:59 pm
This Corrupt UN Oil for FOOD Program is bringing out the reasons why the UN, France, Germany and Russia failed to support US and British efforts to overturn the Saddam regime. It is becoming clearer each day that if we did not invade, BILLIONS would have been left for Saddam and his new found friends.

No wonder mainstream US media is under-reporting this story.

http://washingtontimes.com/national/20041116-110708-9030r.htm

Excerpt - "A private intelligence firm hired by the United Nations to look into corruption in the oil-for-food program provided valuable leads to U.N. investigators, but they were ignored, the company's director says.
"We found it extremely frustrating to be in a position where we could do something significant to dramatically assist the investigation into the oil-for-food fraud and not be allowed to proceed," said Derek Baldwin, director of operations for IBIS Risk Management Services Inc. ...

"Three of the company's sources were killed recently in terrorist violence, he said.
Mr. Baldwin said new information related to the U.N. oil-for-food program uncovered by the company includes:
•A network of Iranians who were involved in smuggling oil under the U.N. program.
•Connections between the U.N. program and a French organized crime figure who U.S. officials said was a conduit for oil-for-food-related payments to French President Jacques Chirac.
•Information on the Swiss-based company Cotecna, which was involved in border inspections of oil-for-food goods. Cotecna at one point during the oil-for-food program hired Mr. Annan's son as a consultant.
•Data on the activities of an Egyptian oil broker who took part in illegal activities related to the oil-for-food program.
"As an experienced investigator, it became clear to me that the U.N. is failing to act on the leads and intel streams developed by us in specific areas where we were asked to develop leads and intel streams," said Mr. Baldwin, a fraud investigator and former intelligence official. "That is inexplicable." "

Additional info contained here.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/cRosett/?id=110005904

Except - "In the spirit of shooting the messenger, Mr. Annan has complained often in recent months about criticism of Oil for Food, denouncing it as a "campaign" that has "hurt the U.N." Monday's Oil for Food hearing evoked from Mr. Annan's spokesman, Fred Eckhard, the comment that Mr. Annan feels he has been "misjudged by certain media" and that Mr. Annan is "not being obstructionist" in his refusal to cooperate with congressional investigators. We are given to understand that Mr. Annan would help if he could, but his job entails so many over-riding responsibilities. "
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,073 • Replies: 14
No top replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 02:03 pm
BM
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 02:10 pm
While you're waiting for more commentary, woiyo, you might want to check out what some of us thought of the story months ago.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 02:26 pm
Fox is showing the House international relations committee hearing on Oil For Food Program live. Chirac is getting buried! Turn it on now!
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 05:39 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
While you're waiting for more commentary, woiyo, you might want to check out what some of us thought of the story months ago.

I wonder if the same "nay-sayers" still hold the same opinion based on the additional information.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 05:41 pm
My guess is........... yes.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 09:10 am
Personally it makes little difference. I thought the war was wrong and I continue to think the war is wrong. I am not fond of Chirac.

Also I doubt seriously that oil for food accounts for the public of those countries opposition to the war with Iraq. In other words, two wrongs don't make a right.

Also some of those countries might of oppossed the war even without getting trade offs with the oil for food scam thing.

Lastly so far I don't see any concrete proof, but I am willing to have an open mind with the possiblity that they may in fact be guilty. Which still would not change any thing regarding whether it was necessary to invade Iraq when we did.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 09:41 am
If you feel this "makes no difference" , then you do not understand the ramifications of the scandel.

Why do you think Saddam was "skimming" BILLIONS OF DOLLARS?? No it was not for more Gold Toilets.

Why do you think Russia, France and Germany gave the US a difficult time regarding the invasion NOW KNOWING that MILLIONS of BARRELLS of Oil and Cash were heading their way??
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 10:51 am
woiyo wrote:

Why do you think Russia, France and Germany gave the US a difficult time regarding the invasion

Germany? Because our constitution objects such.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 11:30 am
I do not recall Germany objecting too much during Afganistan, Yugoslavia or Kuwait.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 11:31 am
Perhaps because those were different situations, woiyo, where the evidence actually supported the case for military intervention.

Your debate tactic fails under scrutiny.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 11:35 am
You are correct, woiyo.

That was done with UN legitimation.
(You should re-read some books of your classes in German Constitutional Law, I suppose!)
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 12:10 pm
And that was Germany's only reason, no UN support???
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 12:12 pm
No, our constituion.

(Well, and of course those 85% of the population against it.)
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 12:14 pm
First it has not been proven that any of this has actually happend. The article only says that some of those that are in charge of investigating felt that they were getting the run around in trying to investigate.

Second you can't go to war on things you think may happen sometime in the way distant future if circumstances play out the way you think they might based on things that haven't even been proven yet.

The bottom line is that we said we were going to war because Saddam Hussien possessed some of the world's most dangerous weapons and that he was a direct threat to our nation. That was not the case and they had reasons to doubt the existence of all those weapons and the dire threat to our nation.

While some of this might true, I don't know and neither do you, I think the game of "lets try out another reason for the war on the American people" is just being continued by those that feel that they have to defend the invasion of Iraq.
0 Replies