Ignorant Ex Friend has one sided political views - to say something or not?

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2017 08:53 pm
So I have this ex-friend. We were friends since we were 3 and for nearly 20 years. I really should have cut her off a long time ago, but our families are friends so I played nice for the sake of our parents. Before I moved away, she tried to reconcile with me for the nth time. I've forgiven her loads of times for being a bad friend, but she just kept doing the same irritating things as before even after we've talked about what she did that bothered me.

If it weren't for the backstabbing stuff that she did that would break up our friendship, it would surely be her extremely one-sided political views. Still to this day she thinks she is so "self-righteous" when she's cheated on all her boyfriends and has been one shitty BFF yet she has the nerve to protest like she's a saint.

I hadn't talk to her in a year or two, the last time she tried to e-mail me before I moved...I'm still hearing her one-sided views, I'm tempted to contact her just to educate her saying she's not all that. She's not self-righteous. She needs to stop parading herself around like she's a saint because saints don't back stab friends since they were 3 nor do they cheat on boyfriends.

If you had an ignorant ex-friend that tried to shove her political opinion down people's throats, would you educate her or just cut her off? She really believes her own lies. It's not just her political opinion. She tries to act like she's a do-gooder when she really isn't that's what irritates me about her. And she never pays for her sins, either and everyone else around her thinks she's awesome. They don't know her like I knew her and no one who knows her who I know will listen to what I have to say about her. They all know what she did to me yet they still want to be cool with her just because she's never done anything to them. (another when you're the only one who knows she's a bitch but everyone else thinks she's awesome) Ugh.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 3,237 • Replies: 27

tibbleinparadise

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2017 10:12 pm
@puzzling,
Judge not lest ye be judged yourself.

Or a more modern version...

Worry about yourself.

If you don't like the way somebody is, don't be around them.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 01:01 am
@puzzling,
You should do two things: shut up, and butt out. That's all. You weren't put on Earth to fix up other people's lives and beliefs.
0 Replies

perennialloner

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 07:49 am
It seems quite malicious to me to essentially want to prove your friend wrong and put her in her place when you don't seem to care about her at all. I could understand wanting someone to change to repair a friendship or relationship, but you just want to put your former friend down for wronging you. This whole post screams revenge to me.
ekename

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 08:27 am
@puzzling,
It really depends on whether she's a republican or a democrat.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 08:42 am
@puzzling,
I guess I am confused -- she is an ex-friend so why are you listening to her?

I would just ignore her. Why let it bother you. Just delete her emails and don't read it.

You are letting it bother you when why should you care; she isn't a friend and you should have no contact with her. You are causing your own problems. Easy just delete anything you get from her without reading it.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 08:55 am
@puzzling,
This is what the block button is for on social media. And in person, it's what the sentence, "Does anyone want more pie or coffee while I'm up?" was made for.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 10:11 am
@perennialloner,
perennialloner wrote:
This whole post screams revenge to me.

Revenge, and a spiteful grudge.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 10:15 am
@puzzling,
Tell her off for once and for all and then completely cut ties with her.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 10:31 am
@puzzling,
There seems to be a theme to your relationships

https://able2know.org/topic/389776-1#post-6434912
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 10:32 am
@puzzling,
puzzling wrote:
And she never pays for her sins

this is known as the myth of the just society

life isn't fair. once you stop expecting it to be, things get a bit easier.
puzzling

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2017 11:54 pm
@perennialloner,
Of course I'd want revenge. It's like she gets praised for being a bad person and no one gives a **** that she is a shitty person who does need to be put in her place.
chai2

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2017 12:36 am
@puzzling,
....and you really believe your telling her off is going to "put her in her place" and change anything.

You just said yourself no one gives a ****, and you shouldn't either.

You're poisoning. and only harming yourself.

Perhaps you might might concentrate on being a better, or good person yourself and not concern yourself with others.
centrox

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2017 12:40 am
@puzzling,
puzzling wrote:
she gets praised for being a bad person and no one gives a ****

Who says she is a "bad person"? You.
Quote:
she is a shitty person who does need to be put in her place.

What good does putting bad people "in their place" (i.e. make them feel bad, I guess you mean) do for anybody? Probably the person doesn't even accept they are "bad", especially if you are the only person who says so. You sound pretty "bad" yourself, full of spite and grudges. Get over yourself.
chai2

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2017 06:51 am
@centrox,
Spite. That's the word I was looking for.

Spite will eat you from the inside out, and most of the time the only one who feels the pain is you.

Spite desicates a person, turning their heart and soul into a tortured, pained thing that lives on its own malice.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2017 10:10 am
@chai2,
I don't disagree with your advice, I just think that sometimes a cathartic moment of "telling someone off" can lead to closure.
chai2

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2017 11:34 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I can honestly say that I've never achieved whatever it is some people call closure by "telling someone off", "showing them", etc.

I guess immediately afterwards you might feel really good about yourself because you were able to make someone else angry, or making them feel bad.

I mean, it's not like you're going to say this perfect something and the other is going to stand there gob smacked, unable to think of anything to say back to you.

If they don't respond, it's because they really don't care or haven't been influenced one whit by your dressing down, and can't waste their time.

Then, that other person just continues to exist, living their life, and you know they are doing just that.

I don't think one closes the door on something in general. It just sort of drifts shut by itself when you stop holding onto it.
centrox

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2017 11:47 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
I don't think one closes the door on something in general. It just sort of drifts shut by itself when you stop holding onto it.

Very well put. Thank you.

0 Replies

camlok

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2017 11:24 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
this is known as the myth of the just society

life isn't fair. once you stop expecting it to be, things get a bit easier.

What a hypocrite!
0 Replies

celebritydiscodave

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2017 04:08 pm
@puzzling,
Could be her true nature has been suppressed with others for want of her being sufficiently tested, or could be that her other friends are no better than herself and thus do n`t have the same level of expectation from a friendship that you do? Sounds like she deploys her mouth to fill in where her actions fall short of the mark, and sounds like even she herself is into her utterances. She likely talks a lot? She needs to!
0 Replies