New C.I.A. Chief Tells Workers to Back Administration Polici

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 01:32 am
Even conservatives should be alarmed at this potential threat to unbiased intelligence the US so desperately needs. Shocking! ---BBB

November 17, 2004
New C.I.A. Chief Tells Workers to Back Administration Policies
By DOUGLAS JEHL

WASHINGTON, Nov. 16 - Porter J. Goss, the new intelligence chief, has told Central Intelligence Agency employees that their job is to "support the administration and its policies in our work,'' a copy of an internal memorandum shows.

"As agency employees we do not identify with, support or champion opposition to the administration or its policies," Mr. Goss said in the memorandum, which was circulated late on Monday. He said in the document that he was seeking "to clarify beyond doubt the rules of the road."

While his words could be construed as urging analysts to conform with administration policies, Mr. Goss also wrote, "We provide the intelligence as we see it - and let the facts alone speak to the policymaker.''

The memorandum suggested an effort by Mr. Goss to spell out his thinking as he embarked on what he made clear would be a major overhaul at the agency, with further changes to come. The changes to date, including the ouster of the agency's clandestine service chief, have left current and former intelligence officials angry and unnerved. Some have been outspoken, including those who said Tuesday that they regarded Mr. Goss's warning as part of an effort to suppress dissent within the organization.

In recent weeks, White House officials have complained that some C.I.A. officials have sought to undermine President Bush and his policies.

At a minimum, Mr. Goss's memorandum appeared to be a swipe against an agency decision under George J. Tenet, his predecessor as director of central intelligence, to permit a senior analyst at the agency, Michael Scheuer, to write a book and grant interviews that were critical of the Bush administration's policies on terrorism.

One former intelligence official said he saw nothing inappropriate in Mr. Goss's warning, noting that the C.I.A. had long tried to distance itself and its employees from policy matters.

"Mike exploited a seam in the rules and inappropriately used it to express his own policy views,'' the official said of Mr. Scheuer. "That did serious damage to the agency, because many people, including some in the White House, thought that he was being urged by the agency to take on the president. I know that was not the case.''

But a second former intelligence official said he was concerned that the memorandum and the changes represented an effort by Mr. Goss to stifle independence.

"If Goss is asking people to color their views and be a team player, that's not what people at C.I.A. signed up for,'' said the former intelligence official. The official and others interviewed in recent days spoke on condition that they not be named, saying they did not want to inflame tensions at the agency.

Some of the contents of Mr. Goss's memorandum were first reported by The Washington Post. A complete copy of the document was obtained on Tuesday by The New York Times.

Tensions between the agency's new leadership team, which took over in late September, and senior career officials are more intense than at any time since the late 1970's. The most significant changes so far have been the resignations on Monday of Stephen R. Kappes, the deputy director of operations, and his deputy, Michael Sulick, but Mr. Goss told agency employees in the memorandum that he planned further changes "in the days and weeks ahead of us'' that would involve "procedures, organization, senior personnel and areas of focus for our action.''

"I am committed to sharing these changes with you as they occur,'' Mr. Goss said in the memorandum. "I do understand it is easy to be distracted by both the nature and the pace of change. I am confident, however, that you will remain deeply committed to our mission.''

Mr. Goss's memorandum included a reminder that C.I.A. employees should "scrupulously honor our secrecy oath'' by allowing the agency's public affairs office and its Congressional relations branch to take the lead in all contacts with the media and with Congress. "We remain a secret organization,'' he said.

Among the moves that Mr. Goss said he was weighing was the selection of a candidate to become the agency's No. 2 official, the deputy director of central intelligence. The name being mentioned most often within the C.I.A. as a candidate, intelligence officials said, is Lt. Gen. Michael V. Hayden of the Air Force, the director of the National Security Agency, which is responsible for intercepting electronic communications worldwide. The naming of a deputy director would be made by the White House, in a nomination subject to Senate confirmation.

In interviews this week, members of Congress as well as current and former intelligence officials said one reason the overhaul under way had left them unnerved was that Mr. Goss had not made clear what kind of agency he intended to put in place. But Mr. Goss's memorandum did little to spell out that vision, and it did not make clear why the focus of overhaul efforts to date appeared to be on the operations directorate, which carries out spying and other covert missions around the world.

"It's just very hard to divine what's going on over there,'' said Senator Ron Wyden, Democrat of Oregon, who said he and other members of the Senate intelligence committee would be seeking answers at closed sessions this week. "But on issue after issue, there's a real question about whether the country and the Congress are going to get an unvarnished picture of our intelligence situation at a critical time.''

Mr. Goss said in the memorandum that he recognized that intelligence officers were operating in an atmosphere of extraordinary pressures, after a series of reports critical of intelligence agencies' performance in the months leading up to the Sept. 11 attacks and the war in Iraq.

"The I.C. and its people have been relentlessly scrutinized and criticized,'' he said, using an abbreviation for intelligence community. "Intelligence-related issues have become the fodder of partisan food fights and turf-power skirmishes. All the while, the demand for our services and products against a ruthless and unconventional enemy has expanded geometrically and we are expected to deliver - instantly. We have reason to be proud of our achievements and we need to be smarter about how we do our work in this operational climate.''
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 698 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Instigate

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 01:56 am
All it basically says is that the CIA is gonna get the information the administration wants and present it back in an unbiased manner. People in the CIA shouldnt be writing books, it reeks of partisanship and agenda. A good shakedown is what is needed and thats what theyre gettin.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 09:38 am
If that is all you see in the memo then you must have been blinded in the last two years on just what was going on in the CIA to have caused those in the CIA to oppose the President and to write stories of disent. They have to fight somehow this takeover from the republicans and I hope that people continue to speak out and fight no matter what kind of insults or even their jobs being taken away or worse.

The President did not want just the information, he wanted the information as he already saw it and only chose that information to present to the American people.
0 Replies

dare2think

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 10:44 am
revel wrote:
If that is all you see in the memo then you must have been blinded in the last two years on just what was going on in the CIA to have caused those in the CIA to oppose the President and to write stories of disent. They have to fight somehow this takeover from the republicans and I hope that people continue to speak out and fight no matter what kind of insults or even their jobs being taken away or worse.

The President did not want just the information, he wanted the information as he already saw it and only chose that information to present to the American people.

D i t t o !

This is the sneakiests, most deceptive, most corrupt adm. of recent memory, that bush has.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 10:48 am
"We provide the intelligence as we see it - and let the facts alone speak to the policymaker.''
As they should.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 11:23 am
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 11:37 am
Larry434 wrote:
"We provide the intelligence as we see it - and let the facts alone speak to the policymaker.''
As they should.

Ha!

What happened was that Cheney went over to the CIA in the run up to the war and let it be known what kind of information that they wanted to support and those in the top supplied the information that they wanted. Some leaked out the information or wrote books about it and now they are having to pay for by getting the pink slip and being replaced by republicans from the house who are sure to support the Prez.

We are becoming a bannna republic and we are rightfully loosing respect around the world because of it.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 11:41 am
The Tenet "slam dunk" quote re WMDs in Iraq tells us all we need to know about the CIA, pre-purge. And Bush considered those guys disloyal?

Can't wait to see what we get from this group. (Shudder)
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 11:47 am
In my opinion that "slam dunk" has been misunderstood and misquoted from the beginning.

From my memory what happened was that Bush was telling Tenet that "Joe Public" is not going to accept that we need to go to war just on this information. Tenet responded and said, "it's a slam dunk."

In my opinion meaning that it is a slam dunk that "joe public" is going to buy it because that was the context of the whole dialogue in the first place.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 11:52 am
Joe Public was going to buy what, revel? The idea that we should go to war because of WMDs in Iraq? Or that JP would buy whatever the CIA claimed was going on there?

Your clarification confuses me, I fear...
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 12:09 pm

The CIA Fights Back

The Agency fights back as Porter Goss and the Bush administration push for institutional reform.
by Stephen F. Hayes
11/15/2004 11:00:00 AM

ON NOVEMBER 5, 2004, a top aide to new CIA Director Porter Goss warned the associate deputy director of counterintelligence about unauthorized leaks to the media. It was an admonition that might be considered unnecessary: secrecy is a hallmark of the agency and, in any case, such leaks are often against the law. But several officials bristled at the forewarning and after a series of confrontations the deputy director of Operations, Stephen R. Kappes, offered his resignation as a protest.

How do we know about all of this? The details were leaked and appeared Saturday on the front page of the Washington Post. Both the Post and the New York Times ran follow-up stories on Sunday. That evening, CBS News anchor John Roberts was already suggesting a failure, asking reporter Joie Chen, "What went wrong?" And so we have, three months into Porter Goss's tenure at the agency, a full-blown war between the Bush administration and the CIA.

In fact, this war has been underway for years but only one side--the CIA--has been fighting. The White House response to this latest assault will be an important sign of its willingness to gut the rotten bureaucracy at the CIA.

Dana Priest, co-author of the two Washington Post stories and one of a dozen reporters who regularly receive CIA leaks, previewed this current battle in an online chat on October 13, 2004. A reader from Bethesda, Maryland, asked: "What's your take on Porter Goss's leadership at the CIA after nearly a month in office? Is
he making an effort to reach out to the rank and file or is he pretty much relying on his 'special advisers' to run the place for him?"

Wrote Priest: "He's created quite a stir among employees who are anxious and worried about his intentions. Mainly this is because he brought with him a group of Congressional aides who were not well respected, so I hear, by people in the building. Now, the question is: are they not well respected because they have axes to grind or because they represent change at an agency that has a hard time changing; or, are they not well respected because they don't know enough about intelligence and are mean spirited. Time will tell."

Now we know. According to the Post, top advisers to Goss are "disgruntled" former CIA officials "widely known" for their "abrasive management style" and for criticizing the agency. One left the CIA after an undistinguished intelligence career and another is known for being "highly partisan."

On the other side, though, are disinterested civil servants: an unnamed "highly respected case officer," and Stephen Kappes, deputy director for operations "whose accomplishments include persuading Libyan leader Moammar Gaddafi to renounce weapons of mass destruction this year." (Persuasion? Were the Iraq war and subsequent capture of Saddam Hussein mere details?)

With this description of the participants is it any wonder that the anti-Bush-administration leakers often choose the Washington Post? What exactly has the Goss leadership team done to deserve such a cheap shot? Unfortunately, the Post articles give us few answers.

The reporting consists mainly of a one-sided chronology of the dispute over media leaks and a collection of unsourced and unsubstantiated personal smears of the Goss team. As for substance, the Post reported on Saturday that former deputy CIA director John McLaughlin believes top Goss aide Patrick Murray "was treating senior officials disrespectfully." The article continues: "Current and retired senior managers have criticized Goss, former chairman of the House intelligence committee, for not interacting with senior managers and for giving Murray too much authority over day-to-day operations."

The Post article from Sunday replowed much of the same ground. It added one new wrinkle: Goss has not yet made time to meet with four former senior CIA officials. (These weren't just any officials. According to the article, "the four senior officials represent nearly two decades of experience leading the Directorate of Operations under both Republican and Democratic presidents." The not-so-subtle implication is that Goss was unreasonable for failing to meet with the leaders.

Was he?

According to yet another anonymous source in the Post piece on Sunday, the group didn't want to talk so much as they wanted to lecture. The former officials "wanted to talk as old colleagues and tell him to stop what he was doing the way he was doing it."

After hundreds of words from the Post we still have very little idea of what, exactly, Goss is doing that has caused so much heartburn at the agency. But if he's aggressively reforming the bureaucracy, he should most certainly not stop
what he is doing. In fact, the concern among critics of the agency is that Goss faces a nearly impossible job and will not do nearly enough to change the dysfunctional culture of the agency.

On Friday, the CIA lost Michael Scheuer, a senior official who headed the agency's bin Laden unit from 1996 to 1999. The agency had allowed Scheuer to write two books critical of the Bush administration as "Anonymous." But as he gave media interviews upon the publication of his most recent book, Imperial Hubris, he became more critical of the agency. He was then silenced by his CIA superiors.

"As long as the book was being used to bash the president," said Scheuer, "they gave me carte blanche to talk to the media."

That has been the modus operandi of the CIA for years. Goss wants to end it. He'll have to fight.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 02:55 pm
"Faulty Intelligence" justified the invasion of Iraq.

Note that the "Faulty intelligence" was just what the Bush Admin WANTED to hear.

BUT... the Bush Admin is NOT endeavoring to remove those who supplied the "Faulty Intelligence"... Oh, no, they'll REWARD those who supplied the lies, and focus instead upon targeting those who did NOT provide the "Faulty Intelligence" that they demanded.

I think you would have to be insane to consider the current developments to be in the best Interests pf the nation...
0 Replies

Idaho

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 07:48 am
The memo was not about what intelligence to present to the President. It simply stated that problems are not to be solved by leaking information (illegally, I might add) to the press just because you disagree with the President.
0 Replies

Steppenwolf

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 07:58 am
Idaho wrote:
The memo was not about what intelligence to present to the President. It simply stated that problems are not to be solved by leaking information (illegally, I might add) to the press just because you disagree with the President.

Exactly. The memo basically asks CIA employees to remain non-partisan and to keep information confidential. It's not that alarming.
0 Replies