The business of war...

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 04:20 pm
I am always in awe over the initiatives and financial committments the US makes for international "causes" (I have deep skepticism over the integrity of many of these international initiatives) and the outright denial of so many domestic problems facing Americans today.
Can anyone please raise me above my skepticism of the America I know, and the America that really is...because from my perspective, the US is a despicable nation (but with millions of great people--I speak of the US solely as a political entity).

We hear so much about wanting to "liberate" the Iraqi people, but nothing of the growing desparation many Americans are in with respect to health care, the environment, education, poverty etc. who need liberation from within their own borders, but get nothing but insurmountable personal and national debt loads...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 869 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 04:32 pm
What is your perspective coming from? (i.e., What is your nationality? Where do you get your info?)
0 Replies

gav

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 05:10 pm
Ticomaya, the dogs on the street know that the spending in this country is "lopsided" at best. "Where do you get your info?".... Rolling Eyes . "Where do you live?" What has that got to do with the question that was asked?
0 Replies

Idaho

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 06:20 pm
Candidone, I guess it's all a matter of perspective. The average American welfare recient owns a car, a television (or 2 or 3), lives in more square footage than your average Parisian (not just the welfare, but all of Paris), many are overweight (not starving), pay for cable television (but not insurance), have access to the same schools everybody else does, etc. That's hardly the definition of poor in a 3rd world country. Insurmountable personal debt? Mostly self-inflicted. Insurmountable national debt? - Nothing is insurmountable. Certainly higher than it should be by a long shot, but we can certainly do something about that - spending cuts across the board would be a great start!
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 09:33 am
Idaho wrote:
Candidone, I guess it's all a matter of perspective. The average American welfare recient owns a car, a television (or 2 or 3), lives in more square footage than your average Parisian (not just the welfare, but all of Paris), many are overweight (not starving), pay for cable television (but not insurance), have access to the same schools everybody else does, etc. That's hardly the definition of poor in a 3rd world country. Insurmountable personal debt? Mostly self-inflicted. Insurmountable national debt? - Nothing is insurmountable. Certainly higher than it should be by a long shot, but we can certainly do something about that - spending cuts across the board would be a great start!

Yeah...that's my point. The wealth of a nation shouldn't be by how overweight their residents are, how many TV's they own, how they de-prioritize things of importance (like insurance) and buy things that make them feel good (like fast food and cable TV).
I never once claimed that Americans on the whole were poor. Almost 36 million Americans live below the poverty line, a stat that has been steadily increasing over the past three years. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A35175-2004Aug26.html
But if you want to compare the US to a third world country, I can't argue with that. I thought Americans had higher standards by which they compare themselves.

A $7 trillion dollar debt with each American "owing" $25000 to settle it (many of which are below poverty lines, too young to earn a living, disbled, retired etc...), I don't see how you can deny that it is insurmountable. http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/
Bush just cut taxes, and with him in office for another 4 years, I can't see spending cuts in the United States' near future.

**edited to make links operative**
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 10:52 am
How many of the poor in this country are illegal aliens? I would think this is also included into the total. They are counted in census data and this is the data that is used in poverty levels.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 11:02 am
The business of war is business. There are no nation-states there is only multination/multi cultural business. China, OPEC and the EU have more influence in american economics than does the USA.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 11:16 am
Idaho
Idaho, I thought most people had given up using the old (usually racist) stereotype description of "welfare queens." ---BBB

Idaho wrote:
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 11:21 am
Baldimo wrote:
How many of the poor in this country are illegal aliens? I would think this is also included into the total. They are counted in census data and this is the data that is used in poverty levels.

How do you know this is true?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 11:31 am
How do I know what to be true?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 11:35 am
That they are counted in the census data, was the question, I believe.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 11:42 am
gav wrote:
Ticomaya, the dogs on the street know that the spending in this country is "lopsided" at best. "Where do you get your info?".... Rolling Eyes . "Where do you live?" What has that got to do with the question that was asked?

The poster has a "skepticism" of America and is seeking our assistance in helping him rise above it. I his view the US is a "despicable nation." In order to provide the best help we can, it behooves us, I believe, to know the cause of any misinformation (read propaganda) that might have been force-fed to him.

(The use of the term "him" is, of course, gender neutral.)
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 11:42 am
Baldimo wrote:

How do you know that they are counted in the data that is used to count the poverty rate.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 04:35 pm
revel wrote:
Baldimo wrote:

How do you know that they are counted in the data that is used to count the poverty rate.

The info is on page 45 of the PDF doc.

They do total in the information.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 09:35 am
Baldimo wrote:

So what's your point?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 11:45 am
candidone1 wrote:
Baldimo wrote:

So what's your point?

Is it fair to judge poverty #'s based on people who are not US citizens and there for the US govt has no mandate to care for them? Most illegals that move here come here at or below poverty level. This would inflate the #'s of people living in poverty due to this fact.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 02:38 pm
Baldimo wrote:
candidone1 wrote:

Is it fair to judge poverty #'s based on people who are not US citizens and there for the US govt has no mandate to care for them? Most illegals that move here come here at or below poverty level. This would inflate the #'s of people living in poverty due to this fact.

They would certainly add to it...if they in fact participate fully in the census process. Illegal residents tend to not be so diligent to report their existence to governing agencies, I imagine.
Plus, massive job losses throughout the midwest and the rest of the nation have contributed more to that demographic than illegal aliens.
If you want to argue the point that the statistics are skewed or misrepresent the reality, then the forum is yours. But illegal residents aside, there are still tens of millions of Americans living below and way[/] below the poverty line--and Bush has found money to "liberate" an entire country, whilst denying Americans the same sort of dignity.

In another note, with all the newfound love for the Iraqi people, who are obviously not American, why would Bush not show support for the illegal residents in his own country?
He's bankrolling a "revolution" halfway around the world for so non-Americans can enjoy democracy and the American way.
I have a problem with this in ways that I can't articulate due to time constraints right now....but illegal aliens hardly explains anything to me.

Gotta run!
0 Replies