http://www.newstarget.com/002356.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,305 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 02:19 pm
The manufacturers want these so they can build safer vehicles? Right. Seems to me they only add safety features when they're made to.

But these devices sound like real double-edged swords. A loss of privacy for sure. Yet if there really were a vehicle design flaw, wouldn't the boxes also lead to massive law suits? I'm surprised the manufacturers aren't worried.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 03:49 pm
I wouldn't object.... if I had the ability to easily erase the memory as I saw fit.

If my car suddenly bursts into flames, I don't mind investigators having more information about the cause.

But I want to be able to participate in subversive activities with the confidence that my route there is kept secret.

Why not just put in a "reset" button on the dashboard to erase memory, and perhaps a on/off switch for the recorder. This should make everyone happy.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 03:55 pm
Sounds OK. As long as I could trust it...
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 03:59 pm
Does that mean it would record the many trips I make to various book-burning rallies across the region? Confused

I don't mind the box being installed, so long as there's no problem with me ripping it out, if I so choose.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 04:16 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
I wouldn't object.... if I had the ability to easily erase the memory as I saw fit.

If my car suddenly bursts into flames, I don't mind investigators having more information about the cause.

But I want to be able to participate in subversive activities with the confidence that my route there is kept secret.

Why not just put in a "reset" button on the dashboard to erase memory, and perhaps a on/off switch for the recorder. This should make everyone happy.

If you had the ability to erase it at will, then that would defeat the purpose of the black box.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 04:18 pm
What I think ebrown means is, the box would be useful after a crash (to determine what happened). Presumably no one could erase it then. The problem is its ability to endlessly record everywhere the car travels and what was going on inside the car all the while.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 05:13 pm
Agreeing with ebrown and bpb. Must be something I ate
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 05:18 pm
The box wouldn't know you are drinking and driving unless they have a camera inside the car. What type of info would you want to erase? Locations traveled? Do the boxes even have GPS on them?

I guess I don't see the harm due to the fact I don't know what someone would do that they wouldn't want recorded.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 05:28 pm
I have no idea what the technology is. The concern is having one's comings and goings tracked, let's say, by the gov't. Think of it like wearing one of the ankle tracker devices, the kind that criminals get to wear sometimes.

That, I would imagine, is the concern.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 05:33 pm
This reminds me of Hitlers government forceing everyone too have identification cards. Makes me nervious as the devil. Next they will want to implant little transmitters in your head so they can tell where your at whenever.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 05:53 pm
Baldimo wrote:
The box wouldn't know you are drinking and driving unless they have a camera inside the car. What type of info would you want to erase? Locations traveled? Do the boxes even have GPS on them?

I guess I don't see the harm due to the fact I don't know what someone would do that they wouldn't want recorded.

and as long as it's not illegal it's no ones goddam business to ever know.....
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 05:53 pm
roger wrote:
Agreeing with ebrown and bpb. Must be something I ate

here, have a mint....
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 05:58 pm
being essential paranoid, I won't even take those grocery stores discount cards that track your purchases.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 05:59 pm
I heard they're attaching those little transmitter thingies to prescription drugs, too. Especially the more powerful ones. LOL. (This is true - I really did hear this).
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 06:01 pm
Wow Dys! I love those things! You only get the item at the "sale" price if you give them that little card! I LOVE a good bargain LOL.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 06:04 pm
rebel22 wrote:
This reminds me of Hitlers government forceing everyone too have identification cards. Makes me nervious as the devil. Next they will want to implant little transmitters in your head so they can tell where your at whenever.

Hey, rebel, when did you get that painting behind you? Is that Van Gogh's Sunflowers?

And what were you doing at the laundromat today? Your washing machine broken again?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 06:21 pm
dyslexia wrote:
being essential paranoid, I won't even take those grocery stores discount cards that track your purchases.

Dyslexia, I think I found a perfect solution for that one (and the savings from those cards are not insignificant).

As often as I can, I swap cards ... often with co-workers friends or distant aquaintances...

I have had some luck swapping with complete strangers in longer lines at the store. It takes some patience because many people think I am doing something illegal they will get stuck with, but I have been able to explain it well enough to make a few swaps with complete strangers.

I hope I will spawn a small subversive movement... but just feeling I am getting around the system by saving money without giving any valuable information is enough.

And... some of the coupons I get are interesting (but so are theirs ....).
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 06:23 pm
There's another way to get around those supermarket cards: Supply false info. As long as it looks plausible, it ought to work.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 06:29 pm
dyslexia wrote:

I'm with you 100% on that. I'll give the advertised sale discount rather than use one of those. These auto black boxes are equally obnoxious. If the police need a court order to tap my phone why shouldn't they need one to track my car?

As for rabel's computer chip, there is a company in Florida that sells them. They are the size of a grain of rice and are inserted under the skin.
0 Replies