Latin textbook

Reply Sat 27 May, 2017 10:10 am
I need some advice on a Latin textbook. I am very close to completing "Getting started in Latin", and am looking for the next step.
I know that Caesar's Gallic Wars is too advanced, and would be too discouraging. [I have looked it up, the one that has the English translation beside the Latin text? It is way over my head.]
I would like to have a book that would bridge the gap between this book and Caesar's Gallic Wars.
In the textbook i am completing, what we covered was; some Nouns of 1st and 2nd declension, some Verbs of 1st and 2nd conjugation, a few prepositions, a few adjectives (and how they have to match the noun). Then we had Latin sentences to translate into English after each new word was introduced.
Ideally, I would like to have the sequel to this textbook written by the same author. That not being possible, I would like to find one in similar format that goes further, to build a larger vocabulary with more advanced grammar.
Basically, the format of this book is it gives you a new Latin word and its endings, then 10 Latin sentences to translate, with the new word in the first 3 or 4 sentences. All 10 sentences are composed of (Latin) words that were introduced previously.
By the end of the book you can translate some Latin sentences into English. You also have a basic vocabulary to build Latin sentences from; and you know what ending each word of your vocabulary needs to fit in the right place in the sentence.
So that is where i am. Where do i go next?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 987 • Replies: 0
No top replies