Looking for cheap airfares ...

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 02:41 pm
.... and a website with "the lowest available airfare" worldwide?

Then you should know

Quote:
"A first-of-its-kind international investigation of cross-border shopping for online airfares led by Consumer Reports WebWatch reveals that European travel sites are much more adept at providing lower fares than U.S.-based sites."

Read the full (pdf-file) report HERE
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,608 • Replies: 17
No top replies

margo

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 08:18 pm
I wish they'd incl;uded Oz in the comparison Confused
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 12:13 am
You mean to compare the Oz-engines with the others?
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 08:07 pm
yep!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 05:06 pm
That is a good article. Thanks, Walter.

But I wonder if there are any other tips that anyone has about getting cheaper flights.

For instance, is it cheaper to book your flight way early? Or can you find better deals the closer it gets to the time you're flying? Are travel agents a good way to go? Anyone got any good tips on finding cheap air fares? Come on, let's hear it!
0 Replies

loislane17

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 05:32 pm
Generally, airlines used to let you only book fights for 3 months ahead tops, then they'd jump the costs.
May for your Italy flight will be more expensive, but keep an eye around the end of January and end of March for special cheap flights! Will you be flying in north and leaving south or vice versa or the same entry/exit point?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 05:40 pm
Thanks, loislane. I'm actually thinking of flying into Bologna, and then leaving from the Naples area.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 05:46 pm
I always use www.airbookers.com for travels to Europe.
0 Replies

loislane17

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 05:48 pm
OOps, sorry, I know that Kicky is headed to Italy in May, wondering if you're planning to fly into Milan and out of Rome or what...

I also find that there are a bunch of online specials that can only be found by joining an elist for the airline or by constantly calling!

OH, and my favorite carrier for comfort and lovely treatment is British Airways.
0 Replies

loislane17

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 05:55 pm
Ahh, everything is cheaper and faster from NYC. sigh. I'd almost move back just to have a short flight!

Since Bologna and Naples are secondary hubs, you may find you are paying more to fly there. But you have to weigh the extra cash against what it would cost in time and money (and schleppage) to fly into the main hub, then train to the secondary.

Since you're doing these cities, I would suggest you maybe do hook up with a travel agent who can investigate more than a particular single airline's partners at one time. You can spend a lot of time finding out that Al Italia and say, Naples Air cost much more than British Air to Ryan Air. Just for example mind you.

You can certainly do it yourself, I usually do, but it might be easier. I do know of someone who might be good, but let me ask if she's comfy with these parameters!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 06:23 pm
That's a valid point loislane.

Hm, I just checked with airbookers: a flight NYC to MIL (Milan)
cost $ 433.00 + taxes (end of May), stop over in London,
and a flight NYC to BLQ (Bologna) cost $493.00 + taxes with Air France - stop over in Paris.

Just a few bucks more....
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 07:16 pm
Holy crap, I'm getting such good information from you guys! Thank you. I'll check that Airbookers site later. And Lois, I appreciate the info. I am thinking of possibly going to Milan instead of Bologna, but I'm not sure yet. I wish I had more time. I want to see so much more than these measly two weeks will allow me.

THANK YOU!

Okay, now I'll stop hijacking Walter's thread.
0 Replies

tigerfox1904

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 07:19 pm
there are a couple of good sites, for Oz users. Try www.zuji.com- this is one for worldwide flights. If you are looking for flights out of Oz to anywhere in the world try www.travel.com.au. Not sure how these sites relate to international users, but I hope these help
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 08:23 pm
493, what a great price, says another Californian.

You're right, Kick. If you do all these places you may get the 'it's tuesday I must be in Bologna' effect and spend a fair portion of your time working out the inbetweens and checking in. Not to put a damper..
is it a full two weeks there, or two weeks total you are off from work?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 10:11 pm
May 27th to June 12th. And the city hopping is going to be only for the first few days. The end of the trip will be four or five days in Rome, and then four or five days on the Amalfi coast, so that should be a little more calm, traveling-wise.

By the way, I checked on that airbookers.com, and although it is cheaper than other sites I've been to, those prices are before they add all the taxes and fees. After you pick the flights and actually get the grand total, the cheapest thing I found was a flight going to Milan, and leaving from Rome, for about $635 per person.

Still a good deal. Thanks for the tip, CJ.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 10:19 pm
Unfortunately kicky, the taxes and airport fees are
added to all faires.

As ossobuco said, we Californians can only dream
of those prices, although osso, my last trip cost me
around $ 650 from San Diego to Munich.

Amalfi Coast is breathtaking kicky. Milan is exciting
and beautiful as well (so are the girls there) and the
toscany, and Lake Como and and....

Go and rent the movie "A month by the Lake" with
Vanessa Redgrove. It's a quiet movie about a love affair,
but the setting of the movie is Bellagio and the most
famous "Grand Hotel" - there you get a nice taste of
how beautiful Italy is.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 11:07 pm
Just finished a police procedural set near Bellagio..

(you are talking to an addict here).
0 Replies

loislane17

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 01:57 pm
Ooo, and what might that have been? Sorry Walter, we are so off track here!

btw, if you love the Guido Brunetti mysteries by Donna Leon, I'm pleased to say they are once again being published in the US after a 6-7 year hiatus. Darn, there goes that flimsy excuse to travel to Italy every year!
0 Replies