Two great films that taste great together: double feature

plainoldme

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 10:09 am
Lightwizard -- Edward Scissorshands and Dial M can be made into another trilogy, but I don't remember the name of the movie. It starred Emma Thompson and her then husband and dealt with the re-incarnation of a pair of lovers after a murder involving scissors.

Emma's ex reminds me of other pairings: The Two films of Henry IV;

a group of Hamlets including Richard Burton's, Mel Gibson's and the tv Hamlets by Kevin Klein and (grrr horrible memory) Hamlet at Elsinore; or Hamlet and its animated update, The Lion King.

Then there are Royal Lion films, The Lion in Winter and the Lion King;

or all of the many Romeo and Juliet films or Romeo and Juliet with West Side Story.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 10:16 am
Loved Deathtrap!!

How about Boogie Nights and 54.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 10:43 am
That's "Dead Again" with Thompson and her hubby at the time Kenneth Branaugh, plainoldme. It did contain what would appear to be an homage to Hitchcock with the scissors as a murder weapon and it isn't the only one. There are other movies with scissors as a murder weapon and I can't help thinking of the scissors in the sewing box in "Nasty Habits."
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 11:03 am
Coincidentally I was thinking about the film 'Dead Again' yesterday.
I was watching Kenneth Branagh in Wild Wild West.
I didnt fall aslepp this time round.

Anybody know of the best films with Ted Levine in?Preferably when he is looking as good as he does in Fast and Furious.Thanks
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 02:46 pm
How about this explosive threesome:

Tick Tick Tick (1970 George Kennedy, Jim Brown)
SSSSS (1973 Dirk Benedict)
Blow-Up (1968? David Hemmings, Vanessa Redgrave)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 05:56 pm
Hey! Guess what?

I had my little letter to the film reviewer published in the paper! They had run a list of the "50 best comedies ever" and asked for input about what people thought of the list.

They left off my favorite comedy ever - "A New Leaf".

In honor of seeing my name in print I will propose two kind of dorky girl scientist makes good movies: "A New Leaf" and "Contact".
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 10:04 am
"A New Leaf" is not on the AFI 100 list and I often wondered if romantic comedies are aced out by full-on comedies. Looking over the AFI list, there are few on the list that are outright romantic comedies of the calibre of "A New Leaf." It is a forgotten classic.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 10:13 am
boomerang- I am always looking for good films to add to my "Blockbuster Online" queue. "A New Leaf" sounded like fun, so I checked it out on IMDB, and they agreed.

Blockbuster did not have it in their library. I checked it out on Amazon. Seems that the flick is only out on VHS, and is considered rare. Some of Amazon's affilliates are selling the VHS, costing anywhere from $49-150. I think that I will pass! Very Happy

Link
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 10:27 am
I'm glad to hear that there are others that appreciate, and are curious about "A New Leaf" it is so funny. I just love Elaine May.

Maybe I just identified with her klutzy, klunky single minded Henrietta in that movie, being that I am a klutzy, klunky, single minded girl.

I'm surprised to hear that it is so rare! It really is a forgotten classic.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 10:31 am
I'm sure the film is slated for a DVD release in the future -- one of the definite reasons why the VHS is allowed to go out of circulation.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 10:39 am
That is probably one of the few movies I would actually buy. I laugh just thinking about it.

They used to show it on TV all the time and I never missed it when it played.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 11:03 am
TCM or ACM played it quite often but perhaps it's been actually pulled completely out of circulation. Just think, we had to wait for over a decade to be again privileged to see Hitchcock's "Vertigo" and "Rear Windows," at least in any decent wide screen restored version (there were a few terrible truncated pan-and-scan cable showings). Cutting either of those films is a sin.
0 Replies