Two great films that taste great together: double feature

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 07:40 pm
On a thread about riddles and puzzles in movies the film "Sleuth" came up with, of course, led to "Deathtrap".

What a great double feature that would make!

I'm kind of partial to films with narrarators so I'd enjoy "Badlands" and "A Clockwork Orange" together too!

Winter is here and the time is right to cozy in and watch some movies. Pair up a couple of films and give us a good waste the night double feature.

What about "The People v. Larry Flint" and "The Man in the Moon" for a Courtney Love fix?

"The Shawshank Redemption" with "Alcatraz" (prison breaks) or with "The Shining" (Steven King) or with "Mysic River" (falsly accused)?

Dig in!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,442 • Replies: 71
No top replies

msolga

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 07:59 pm
Thinking, thinking ..... I'm sure I'll come up with something ... just not yet! Laughing

(Hello there, boomerang! Very Happy )
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 08:05 pm
Kurosawa's Dreams and My Neighbor Totoro by Hayao Miyazaki for a snowy afternoon of magical movie watching.

Or Dead Alive by Peter Jackson and Kill Bill (haven't seen KB II yet) for an over-the-top gore fete.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 09:18 pm
Hello there to you too, MsOlga. I know you'll come up with something!

little k, you have made me so nostalgic for my old (old) life that you can't even imagine. That double feature makes me want to linger over coffee with my old friend Greg d....

I haven't seen either one of the second two you mention but they sound like a great end to an aggessive day.

How about "The Buddy Holly Story" and "Coal Miner's Daughter"? (And when will they make a bio-pic of Dolly Parton's life?)

Or "Earth Girls are Easy" with "The Fly" for the Jeff Goldblum connection?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 08:29 am
No biopic of Dolly Parton's life, but "Sweet Dreams" is the biopic of Patsy Cline's life.

How 'bout "Fargo" and "Pleasantville" for a William H. Macy fix?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 09:44 am
Those are some good ones, jespah!

"Sweet Dreams" and "Coal Miner's Daughter" would be great together.

"Pleasentville" would be fun with "Wizard of Oz" too -- for that whole black and white v. color thing.

I think "Momento" and "The Illustrated Man" would be a very cool double feature!
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 09:51 am
Harvey and It's a Wonderful Life...just cause Jimmy Stewart makes me feel good.

The Way We Were with The Sting...cause Redford is one fine piece of .....

All About Eve and Now, Voyager...two of my favorite Bette Davis flicks.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 09:52 am
"Old School" and "Billly Madison."

Very cultured movies.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 10:14 am
Those are some really great picks, willow tl. "Harvey" has always been one of my favorites.

At the end of a long day your choices might be the best ones to relax to, Slappy.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 10:41 am
Boomer, do you know of a landscape designer name Liz (or Lucy) Hardiman?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 10:45 am
I wish I did, little k. I could use some help in my current project. The name "Hardiman" sounds familiar but I might know it from elsewhere.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 11:48 am
I was watching a film last night called "Middle of the World" (O Caminho das Nuvens) that ended on the hills above Rio de Janeiro and thinking how much I'd like to watch Black Orpheus (Orfeu Negro) right after.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 09:05 pm
"Metropolis" and "Blade Runner"

"Fillini Satyricon" and Paul Schrader's "Mishima: A Life in Four Parts"

"Vertigo" and "Body Heat"
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 10:35 pm
boomerang: fun idea for a thread. Here are some of my picks:

"The Magnificent Seven" and "One, Two, Three" -- a mini Horst Buchholz film fest!

"A Beautiful Mind" and "The Caine Mutiny" -- decide who has more annoying behavioral tics: John Nash or Captain Queeg

"Born Yesterday" and "My Fair Lady" -- men making women talk better . . . er, more well . . . oh, you know what I mean

"Throne of Blood" and "The Manchurian Candidate" -- women making men "be all they can be"

"Raising Arizona" and "Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult" -- behold the glory that is Randall "Tex" Cobb
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 07:48 am
Chinatown & Atlantic City. Because I loved both, because they both feature fantastic locations, because they're both beautifully directed with great actors, because they're both about criminal activity ... though Atlantic City is lighter & humorous, so it would have to be viewed first. Chinatown is a very hard act to follow ... say nothing recovering from the final scene!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 08:55 am
Hi Lightwizard and joefromchicago! Thanks for joining in with your interesting double features.

See, msloga, you came up with a really good one!

How about "Field of Dreams" and "Bull Durham" both Kevin Costner baseball movies.

Or, "The Trouble With Angles", "A Change of Habit" and "The Sound of Music" for women stuggling with being a nun concept.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 12:16 pm
Was not surprised that boom came up with the topic and have put it into the works to feature.

"Touch of Evil" and "The Third Man"
"Nosferatu" (original b & w) and "Bram Stoker's Dracula" (the Copolla)
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 12:22 pm
"The Usual Suspects" and "Memento" together could cause a warp in the space/time continuum.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 12:34 pm
Maybe:
Tootsie and Mrs. Doubtfire
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 12:39 pm
Austin Powers and Johnny English.... spy movies with a funny zanie twist..

The 13th Warrior and The Last Samurai -both a tale of two cultures who dont understand the other

Hildago and Big Fish- a story about finding oneself (both great movies if you ask me)
0 Replies