The "VP??"

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 01:24 pm
Just announced:
Dick Cheney going to the hospital to be checked.

Might this be a precursor to 'retirement'?
Frankly, I would think it would make little difference. He can run the USA (via Bush), Halliburton, Brown and Root, and all other interests which give his arrogance and greed an inroad, from his bed, armchair, or yacht--- whatever...

Just the rantings of an old 'repug cynic'.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 924 • Replies: 17
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 01:31 pm
Vice President Cheney Heads to Hospital
11/13/04

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Vice President Dick Cheney, who has a history of heart attacks, was taken to the hospital on Saturday with shortness of breath, the White House said.

White House spokesman Ken Lisaius said Cheney, 63, who has a cold, was going to George Washington University Hospital for tests.

"He experienced some shortness of breath Saturday morning and has had a bad cold, which could be the cause for the shortness of breath," Lisaius said.

But Lisaius said Cheney wanted to take "every precaution" so was having the symptoms checked out.

The vice president has had four heart attacks, including a mild one shortly after the contest presidential race in November 2000.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 01:37 pm
I just heard this on the news here. Probably all that stress of the campaign as well as the "cold".

Will keep this good and decent man in my prayers.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 01:38 pm
Interesting question...who might bush pick to replace cheney if that need arose? Edgar Bergen is gone. But seriously folks.

Who might they want to have in a (presumed) electorally-advantageous position in four years?

Frist?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 04:10 pm
Gosh, who knows except he/she is bound to be worse.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 04:16 pm
News just reported Mr. Cheney is now home and just has an "upper respiratory" condition. All tests were negative Smile
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 04:17 pm
The electorally-advantageous part is the scariest. We've been counting on well at least this particular group will be out in four years.

Didn't someone predict this? Craven? That Cheney would stay healthy through the campaign and then whoopsie, has to resign for health reasons...

Eh. Hope he gets better, not for any particular political reason just that I don't wish anyone ill, and if he doesn't, cross that bridge when we come to it.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 04:23 pm
If the office of Vice President should become vacant under the terms of the XXV Amendment, "the President shall nominate a Vice President who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority vote of both Houses of Congress".

Hopefully, the Vice President's health will not force him into resigning his office. If it appears that his health might fail under the stress of assuming the Presidency, he should give thoughtful consideration of what is best for the nation.

If, however, the Vice-Presidency became vacant we might speculate on who Bush might appoint. With a clear majority in both Houses of the Congress, he could probably have almost any nominee confirmed. I think that it would be better though to select a candidate who would have broad appeal. The candidate should be experienced and intimately knowledgable about the Administration's policies. The nominee should have national and international credibility.

Presidential succession is detailed in USC Annotated, Title 3, Section 19 (d) (1). There it is provided that the line of succession is: "Vice-President, President Pro-Tem of the Senate, Secretary of State, Secretary of the Treasury, Secretary of Defense, Attorney General, Postmaster General, Secretary of the Interior, Secretary of Agriculture, Secretary of Commerce, Secretary of Labor, Secretary of Health, Education and Welfare, Secretary of Housing and Urban Development."

My number one pick would be the Secretary of State. Colin Powell is a strong leader experienced in both military and diplomacy. He has the confidence of both Americans and foreign leaders. He would be not only acceptable to many in the minority, his nomination might reduce some of the opposition to the administration's policies. Colin Powell is in the tradition of strong, capable Secretaries of State. The Secretary of State has historically been a "stepping stone" into the Executive Mansion, and his ascension to the Vice-Presidency would be widely cheered. It would also be nice to give him an opportunity to begin building his organization for the 2008 Presidential race.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 05:02 pm
Powell sounds good. I'd love to see him run in 2008. So he probably won't become Vice President.

<sigh>
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 05:14 pm
Cheney "a good and decent man"? Oh, brother. A tough campaigner, sure. Someone who fights hard for what he wants, right again. But "good and decent"?

Of course, if he really were ill, I'd keep those thoughts to myself. But really...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 05:19 pm
Don't want no Powell, no Cheney.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 05:52 pm
Mr Powell is a fine man and I hope that he will be considered for the Presidency by the Repubs in 2008. I think he wants to give up his job at State; becoming VP (in the hypothetical situation of Cheney leaving) would be a demotion. McCain would be good but there are too many Presidential wannabes out there to want to give any potential rivals a leg up. So I would forecast someone as non-descript as Dan Quayle. Someone marginally qualified but not a threat to the power-brokers.
Elizabeth Dole?
0 Replies

theollady

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 07:43 pm
Excellent guess/choice, realjohnboy!! Now there is a Bush mind-reader if I have ever met one!

(Incidentally, any other vp would be so 'in name only' , unless Cheney should happen to pass-- permanently, I mean)
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 11:33 am
Asherman wrote:
If the office of Vice President should become vacant under the terms of the XXV Amendment, "the President shall nominate a Vice President who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority vote of both Houses of Congress".

What do you bet he'd choose Jeb, if Cheney had to retire early? Confused
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 12:22 pm
Name your stakes. Jeb Bush would not be even considered. I expect that the nominee would be chosen from the Cabinet, or the Senate. Another top choice would probably be the President Pro-Tem of the Senate. John McCain would probably be on the short list, for many of the same reasons that General Powell is so attractive (experience and a wonderful reputation built on a very broad base). A nominee chosen from the Supreme Court might play well, but the choice range is far too small. Republican State governors might have an extreme outside chance, but I think that both Jeb Bush and Arnold would be precluded.

I don't believe that Gen. Powell will resign his post as Secretary of State. If offered the Vice-Presidency, I think that Powell might very well accept it. One of the things I like about Colin Powell is his sense of duty, and willingness to loyally serve the nation. Even when his convictions differ from those of his Commander in Chief, he will carry-on and do the best he can. The man's integrity is one of this administrations greatest assets, and I believe that Bush knows that very well.
0 Replies

dare2think

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 12:39 pm
JustWonders wrote:
I just heard this on the news here. Probably all that stress of the campaign as well as the "cold".

Will keep this good and decent man in my prayers.

You mean all that stress of lying and stealing and conniving!
You call him a good and decent man?: You must be crazy!
0 Replies

dare2think

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 12:43 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
Cheney "a good and decent man"? Oh, brother. A tough campaigner, sure. Someone who fights hard for what he wants, right again. But "good and decent"?

Of course, if he really were ill, I'd keep those thoughts to myself. But really...

I agree with you.
Anybody who will call cheney "good and decent" is not dealing with a full deck!..hahahahahahahaha That con-artist is the antithesis of "good and decent".!
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 01:02 pm
So, apparently Mr Cheney just has the sniffles and conjecture about his imminent demise-and who might take his place-is totally hypothetical.
I would rule out Mr Powell or Mr McCain (partially for reasons I mentioned above) but also because they are out of step with the conservative wing of the Repubs who have Mr Bush's ear right now.
Having said that, I think you may be right about Mr Powell, Asherman. A month or two ago he seemed to be a pretty unhappy camper; pretty eager to leave an administration that had chosen to ignore his efforts in the ME. But with Arafat gone I think there is the recognition that Powell is the only American with any credibility; the Bushites might be inclined to give him some slack rather than try to put in a whole new team. Powell may decide to stay at State for another year or so.
0 Replies