How Long Can You Make My Thread Get?

whiteviolet

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 12:12 pm
That's my point - lots of non English speakers, including the Chinese especially (I will PM you about my textbooks for the Chinese!), are realising that they need to learn English and are putting alot of effort into it. Although I realise we are not quite there yet, I do believe that in a very few years, English will be even more widely spoken - it is the business language increasingly. Nothing arrogant about this just because my native language is English - it's just a fact.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 04:20 pm
Yes, you could be right, in that respect. I see a lot of Chinese and Japanese students at the campus of the University next door and often wondered what the main reason was for them studying here. My neighbours boarded a Japanese student for 4 years, her main purpose was to learn English, she now heads a big Japanese company in Europe. She returns every year to South Australia at Christmas (Japanese don't celebrate X-mas!!) and always pays us a visit, remarkable loyal friend, never forgets she was made welcome in our house during her study days.
0 Replies

whiteviolet

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 11:36 am
Have you ever been to China?
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 01:08 pm
China is a beautiful country, I have spent much time in the wilderness of The Yunan Territories.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 06:05 pm
No I have not been to China wv, the closest I've been is Malaysia.
0 Replies

whiteviolet

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 12:47 pm
I'd love to go to China for so many reasons. Must be great to see the terracotta warriors, Beijing and Shanghai. And I must now find out about the Yunan Territories.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 08:28 pm
Another very scenic country I have been to is New Zealand, absolutely breathtaking, you cannot describe it in a few words,
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 09:58 am
Chinese say, one photo is worth a thousand words; NZ pics available here http://www.globetrotterpix.com/newzealand.html?gclid=COGVx4TBi4wCFRWOEgod0jjXBQ
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 11:02 am
The photographs, no matter how good, never replace being there.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 01:48 am
Of course not, but one can see the sort of terrain and marvel at the natural wonders. I probably wouldn't have bothered to go to NZ if I hadn't seen and heard about the extraordinary geology.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 03:13 am
You took the words out of my mouth Clary, I totally agree with you. Now with a computer and the internet you have the world at your fingertips. Quietly at home, work out a travel itinerary including all the places you intend the visit, from the information available.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 02:34 pm
I always feel under the impression that the pc has the capabilities of taking over ones life. I also meander through the pages of other countries, towns etc. We might just get pc bound, are the various governments doing a good job of 'keeping us in?'
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 04:15 pm
But we should be extra free with the computer, able to go beyond our own boundaries.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 05:54 pm
Oops!!!
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 06:39 pm
My computer takes me anywhere, I can't express how much pleasure I have derived from it, over the past 9 years.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 01:35 am
Exactly, but in my case it's been 21 years! Apple rules!
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 02:35 am
That would be right, I not near as old as you teacher. Laughing
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 02:40 am
I was a precocious computer user and lived near the cheapest computer stores in the world, The Golden Arcade in Kowloon!
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 02:52 am
My first experience with a computer was in 1990 when they were introduced into the department where I worked.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 03:07 am
Do you know, I read that as the 'department STORE where I worked' - had a vision of Dutchy as John Inman in Are you being served?
0 Replies