How Long Can You Make My Thread Get?

Dutchy

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2007 03:01 pm
I understand Clayton's was the name of a soft drink that was promoted as a substitute for alcohol. The term came to mean something that is not what it seems.

Blue Heeler is the name of a tenacious Queensland cattle dog hence the name was given to a copper who never gave up.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 03:31 am
You a blue heeler? I would have thought you avoided blues, where possible.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 04:07 am
I don't care for blue shoes but I like bluebells.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 08:45 am
I have been in more blues than you can poke a stick at.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 08:51 am
In England we say 'shake a stick at', yours is more logical somehow, esp for a cop.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 09:03 am
You know we have our own language downunder! Poke can be interpreted in many ways. Laughing
0 Replies

whiteviolet

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2007 07:40 am
Some more interesting than others but let's not go there. Have you acquired an Australian accent?
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2007 06:23 pm
Yes I have, they tell me my Dutch accent has disappeared altogether.
0 Replies

whiteviolet

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 10:42 am
That's one blessing, then!
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 04:42 pm
You think so, I've heard it sounds sexy. Smile
0 Replies

whiteviolet

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 03:21 pm
Personally, I prefer English spoken with an Aussie accent. But presumably you can always turn on the Dutch accent if you wish to up the sexiness ante?
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 05:20 pm
Quite a good suggestion wv, remind me when we meet. Laughing
0 Replies

whiteviolet

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 04:27 am
Can you distinguish between different English accents - Cockney, Liverpool etc? When I went to Washington DC I kept being asked if I was Australian and I've never been near the place!
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 04:57 am
I can pick an Englishman or an Australian in a crowd but not the different accents you mention. No problems picking an American, a Dutchman or a German either
0 Replies

whiteviolet

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 05:13 am
I don't think I know one word in Dutch - not even yes or no. But I dare not ask you to teach me something as you might take advantage of my innocence.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 07:15 pm
Whiteviolet I am disappointed in you, do you think as an Officer and a Gentleman, I would hoodwink a naive English lady?
0 Replies

whiteviolet

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 02:10 am
I suspect you would have a damn good try. Do you speak any other languages? I just speak French - did Latin at school and hope to learn Italian when I can find the time. It's strange visiting a country and being unable to speak the language - although English does seem to be becoming the world language, don't you think?
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 09:42 am
Your suspicion is unfounded. Smile . German is another language I speak, learnt French and Esperanto at school but have forgotten that. English will get you anywhere.
0 Replies

whiteviolet

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 03:25 pm
I agree - and certainly people all over the world are trying to learn English. It makes me wonder why our education bosses still try to make all school children here (with minor exceptions) learn a foreign language. The only real point is to read literature in the original - but language lessons here concentrate on basic conversation anyway so it sems very muddled thinking. Perhaps someone will educate me on the point of learning languages that are less spoken than English! Am open minded.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 03:32 pm
The other way round here wv. Our biggest trading partners and close neighbours are China and Japan, yet their language are not taught at school here. In my view this is a great oversight, as trade, in particular with China is literally skyrocketing. My son does a lot of trade with Japan and he often says I wish I could speak Japanese things would be a lot easier.
0 Replies