How Long Can You Make My Thread Get?

kickycan

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 02:54 pm
Actually, I'm missing the cigarettes, and I'm missing the coital...it's a toss-up as to which one I miss more...
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 03:10 pm
I gave up for two years and started (smoking) in earnest at xmas, but really I was smoking before, just the odd one or two, then three...

Try to be strong - it's difficult days - but it does get easier.

When I'd almost given up for 2 years, I had some bad news and sucummed to a fag, felt I 'deserved' it for having bad news about CANCER, how ironic. I really regret it though kicky...try not to have the 'odd' one.

You might find you get a tickly cough for a while - cigarette smoking destroys the tiny hairs on your 'passages' (I'm not being smutty for once) those hairs mop up all the pollutants, particulants and sh*t and are really vital for the lungs to function properly.

Just writing is making me want to give it another go...after my wedding...

See? Always an excuse - but you've already done the hardest bit - making the decision. Keep it up kicky...chances are it'll kill you if you don't (and me) and I'm sure you are precious to many people, as you are loved here.

Sarah
x
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 03:35 pm
I used to be a 3 pack a day wonder.
Peter Stuyvesant's and other good stuff like that.

Now it's just a very occasional cigar after a round of golf.

The smell of a freshly lit cigarette still makes me giddy happy about 15 years (or maybe a bit longer, I'm getting old and losing track of the years) after the big quit. The smell of old cigarette smoke is disgusting.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 06:55 pm
Beth - me too! I like that first whiff of someone's smoke, after a few drags it just stinks. I also like briefly smelling cigar and pipe smoke from afar.

I suffered through a couple deaths in the family and my own dad going in for angioplasty (and his long road to healthfulness after that) and some other really bad news in the first couple years after I quit. I just new I couldn't start again.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 08:51 pm
so, but see, kicky, it must be easier to quit if you're not getting any. they seem to be mutually reinforcing, so it really is good for you to be celibate for awhile.
Rolling Eyes
well, i was just trying to help.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 09:08 pm
I'm interested in what Kicky sees in Italy... people gathered outside of Bars? Non compliance?

There are, by my reading, plenty of health fans in Italy, but I am guessing they're overwhelmed in many places, re cigs.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 09:10 pm
The time I most wanted a smoke (and still sometimes do) is when I've drank too much alcohol. Mostly I've learned not to drink too much.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 09:25 pm
littlek wrote:
The time I most wanted a smoke (and still sometimes do) is when I've drank too much alcohol. Mostly I've learned not to drink too much.

Me too.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 09:38 pm
I love smoking. I'm in agony here. Not smoking sucks. I hate it. I'm all ******* nervous all the time, I'm becoming a fatass, I'm now rotting out my goddam teeth with stupidass lollipops all day, and I feel like I'm old now. Yes, stopping smoking for me means that I'm old. I'm old. I'm on my way out.

I started smoking in college. I fell madly in love with this girl on my floor in the dorm. She was a smoker, and I would bum them off her. I was with her day and night for a couple of semesters, and I gotta tell ya, that was probably the best time of my life. So the cigarettes sort of represent that time for me in a weird way...I feel like I'm old now, and that great time I had, or should I call it what it is...MY F*CKING YOUTH...is really gone. I can no longer do things that are bad for me without suffering for it. I don't want to be old. I want to smoke.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 09:41 pm
oooohhh, boy, you seem to have hit a wall. S'ok, you'll find a door to get through it - just don't let that door be a lit cigaret (does that make any sense?).

I agree. You're getting old, so am I. Aren't there good things about getting old? Like, a sense of self you didn't have in your 20s. Like a more worldy view on life. Like, erm, help me out here....?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 09:43 pm
No. Life sucks now. That's all there is to it.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 09:47 pm
No it doesn't!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 09:54 pm
Compared to back then? Come on, you MUST be joking. There's no comparison! I'm just talking about my life here, of course. Yours might have sucked when you were in college...I doubt it, but I guess it's possible.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 10:02 pm
Hhhherm. Gigantically happy times happened while I was smoking. Looking back, probably despite my smoking.

I think with embarassment about my smoking in painting classes, so cool I was.
Well, bunches of us were cool like that.

Fi and fah, smoking has nothing to do with appeal and life.
Move along, lad. (trying to paraphrase what I think ehBeth would say).

Ok, I remember, I am not here to nag. Go ahead, smoke up a storm.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 10:11 pm
How ironic you associate smoking with youth. Nothing ages the human body as fast a smoking, well maybe working in a coal mine is worse. All the people I know who smoke look 10 years older than the ones who don't. You don't see the difference until they hit 40, but from then on it's down hill on roller skates for those smokers.

Oxygen tanks are also a big turnoff - my now deceased father-in-law tugged one around for 3 years for his emphysema. There were 10 women to every man in that nursing home, but he could never get a date - he swore it was because the oxygen tank got in the way when he tried to dance.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 10:27 pm
kickycan wrote:
Compared to back then? Come on, you MUST be joking. There's no comparison! I'm just talking about my life here, of course. Yours might have sucked when you were in college...I doubt it, but I guess it's possible.

College was awesome. But life is better now: I have more than $20 in my checking account, and now I know what to do know when there's a naked woman in my bed(knock her out with some sleeping gas and shave her eyebrows). But yea, in college, not a care in the world other than schoolwork. Wait, didn't care too much about that then either.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 10:29 pm
I was thinking about this in the shower. Greenwitch brings up a point I was going to make. Smoking ages you.....

The other thought I had was that smoking, something about it, effects emotions. It sort of lowers the extreme emotions, or calms nerves. Anyone know anything about this? So, when you get upset about something, or have a stressful day, you want a smoke more because it always calmed you before. Because you can't have a smoke (and stay a non-smoker) you get more upset and blame the not smoking. I had to relearn how to deal with emotionally charged issues (I've always been bad at it, but I'm better than I was).
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 10:41 pm
When I felt the way you seem to be feeling in your above posts, kicky, I went running. I am not a runner. But, I'd drive to a park where I new I'd have some privacy and I'd run until I thought I might barf. And, I could run for longer every time I went.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 10:58 pm
I used to do that too. Never'd call myself a runner, just a jogger, but I jogged my lil brain out.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 11:18 pm
I just ran full speed the first few times. Like a maniac. I was purging.
0 Replies