Van Gogh painting almost sold for $US80 in Tokyo

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 02:35 pm
We missed THAT great change to get this picture

http://www.utusan.com.my/pix/2003/0208/Utusan_Express/Entertainment/en_02_big.jpg

for the price of of a good meal!

TOKYO Feb 7 - A Van Gogh oil painting would have changed hands for just about 80 dollars as the work of an anonymous artist at an auction scheduled for the weekend, if not for a last-minute seal of authentification.

The Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam told the Tokyo auctioneer, Shinwa Art Auction Co., in the small hours of Friday that the profile of a middle-aged peasant woman was an early work by the Dutch impressionist master (1853-1890).

``We received from the museum overnight a research report which has certified the work as an authentic Van Gogh,'' Shinwa managing director Shinji Hasada told AFP on Friday

``From the beginning, we had considered the possibility that the painting was a Van Gogh,'' he said. ``But we initially set its estimated bidding price at 10,000-20,000 yen (US$83-US$167) because we had to state its painter as unknown.''

Hasada has now raised the estimated price under the hammer at Satuday's auction to at least three million yen (US$25,000).

The dark brownish oil canvas, 41 centimetres (16.4 inches) high by 35 centimetres (14 inches) wide, is certified by the museum as the ``Peasant Woman'' which was painted between November 1884 and May 1885 when Van Gogh worked in Neunen.

It was one of some 170 pieces of art work to be placed in the auction as part of a collection of the late Japanese painter Kazumasa Nakagawa (1893-1991) an admirer of Van Gogh and French impressionist giant Paul Cezanne.

The auctioneer asked the museum a month ago to verify the work as it resembled ``Peasant Woman'' which was included in an art catalogue published in 1928 although there were ``a few differences'' between the two, Hasada said.

The Van Gogh Museum paintings curator Louis van Tilborgh explained in the report to the auctioneer that the painting was restored twice around 1950.

He said as a result the painting ``has lost most of its original character and Van Gogh's characteristic brushstrokes are only partially recognisable.''

Harada said, ``There are no particular going rates for Van Gogh's works. This work is produced in his very early period and it's very difficult to value it. - AFP

ABC News

Auctioneer verifies new Van Gogh find
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,735 • Replies: 11
No top replies

satt fs

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 06:30 pm
For museums the price would have been a relief for a "worthless" piece without authentication.
For individuals it would have been a value even without authentication.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 06:43 pm
Hey, I dig Van Gogh, but I've gotta say that 80 bucks sounds about right for this one. (No art history student, I...)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 07:09 pm
I wouldn't doubt that the canvas brings more than $25,000. even with the market waning at this time. I would also like to see another expert appraise and authenticate the piece -- experts have been fooled by clever fakes before.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 11:06 pm
van gogh
All the potato eater paintings were grim and colorless.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 04:23 pm
A little bit more than the suggested 80 $, the 'Gogh' was sold even higher than the proposed 25,000:

Van Gogh find sells for $500,000
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 05:47 pm
My Canadian newspaper reported $837,000.

JL....they would have been smiling with a plate of poutine!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 06:21 pm
van gogh
Shepaints Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
What's poutine? I expect it's an expensive food. Caviar? Embarrassed
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 07:46 pm
Jl.....You have to live in the frozen north to truly appreciate poutine...Originally from Quebec, it's a plate of French fries, drowned in gravy and also "au gratin"....An entire day snowshoeing in the outdoors or skiing on the slopes will couteract these calorific pommes frites .....

In a pinch, I guess New York Fries and gravy could substitute.....
but Laughing you'd have to bring your own fromage!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 10:18 pm
Poutine
Oh that sounds good. Even after finishing a bowl of baked red onions, roasted red potatoes and an Italian sausage, with mustard and a beer.
Good night, Mary. Hope everything goes as you want, Wednesday.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 06:35 am
JL-you dont want to try poutine, Its the Canadian version of SOS except the gravy is not as spicy.

i agree with your analysis that this had to be one of his "ministry" period paintings.Wouldnt it be cool if it were a left over otto Wacker fake Van Goghs.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 02:40 pm
sos
Farmerman, now I AM intrigued. What's SOS? Perfection would be SPICY poutine.
0 Replies