Manchester attack: 22 dead and 59 hurt in suicide bombing

saab

Reply Sat 27 May, 2017 09:36 pm
@saab,
If a Swede had been arrested for hate crime and arson and also bragged about the wish to kill people I certainly would prefer him to be in prison than running around free.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 28 May, 2017 12:26 am
@saab,
I doubt Swedish laws are any more strict that other European laws. He wasn't jailed because there wasn't enough evidence to convict. Those laws regarding evidence work across the board. Do you want the law changed so people can be jailed on flimsy evidence like hearsay?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 28 May, 2017 12:28 am
@saab,
saab wrote:

Afterall he attacked other Muslims.

If he had he would have been jailed. He didn't actually attack anyone. The reason I quoted you was to point out that the fast majority of victims of jihadi violence are other Muslims.
saab

Reply Sun 28 May, 2017 01:07 am
@izzythepush,
He was jailed, but got free as there were no technical proof he was involved. On the other hand there were several telephone conversations with IS people after the attack.
camlok

Reply Sun 28 May, 2017 01:03 pm
@saab,
Gee, imagine that, saab, there was insufficient evidence but he was released! What is this world coming to? Why didn't the Swedish government deliver him to the bastion of freedom, civil and human rights, the USA, and they could have put him in Guantanamo.

Or he could have been sent to US poodledom, the UK. I'm sure that something fair and honest could have been worked out among the world's leading terrorist nations.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 30 May, 2017 05:10 am
I've got a friend staying from Brazil. Yesterday we took her to London to visit the British Museum. Despite all the extra security everything seemed pretty normal, the only thing noticeable was a queue for a bag check before we could enter the British Museum. The queue moved pretty quickly, and the tourists seemed to accept this, not so much the British who did a lot of muttering. I heard people saying it was 'bloody ridiculous,' and 'a bit of an overreaction.' We're a bloody contrary bunch.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 30 May, 2017 10:25 am
Quote:
Justin Bieber, Coldplay and Katy Perry are among the stars who will join Ariana Grande at a benefit concert following the Manchester attack.
The One Love Manchester show will raise money for the victims and families of those affected by the blast at Manchester Arena which left 22 dead.
Take That, Miley Cyrus and Pharrell will also play at the Old Trafford Cricket Ground gig on Sunday.
Grande is offering free tickets to those at her Manchester Arena show.

Others performing include One Direction's Niall Horan and Usher, with more to be announced. The venue has a 50,000 capacity and the gig will be broadcast live on BBC TV and radio.
Tickets for the tribute concert go on sale on Thursday, with prices yet to be announced. Those attending are asked not to bring bags.
Proceeds will go to the We Love Manchester emergency fund, which has been set up by Manchester City Council, in conjunction with the British Red Cross. Organisers expect at least £2m to be raised from the event.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40086336
camlok

Reply Tue 30 May, 2017 10:56 am
@izzythepush,
Things are never going to change, Izzy, as long as there are folks like you pumping out propaganda.

Yes, the attack on innocents is sad. But there are innocents on both sides, millions more on the other side. A benefit concert for the half million Iraqi children of the US/UK planned slaughter would go a long long way towards helping solve these US/UK/... caused world problems.

You can't go on stealing others wealth, murdering their kith and kin, destroying their countries and lives and not expect some to lash out.

What kind of seriously deluded people are we westerners?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2017 12:26 am
Attack in London, much less sophisticated, van and knives used. One can only speculate on motivation, but it won't change the way Londoners go about things.

Quote:
Six people have been killed in a terror attack in central London in which three assailants were shot dead by police, Scotland Yard has said.
A white van hit several pedestrians on London Bridge at about 22:00 BST before apparently crashing into railings.
Three men then left the vehicle and stabbed a number of people in Borough Market, south of the bridge, an area known for its restaurants and bars.
Armed officers confronted and shot the suspects within eight minutes.
London Ambulance Service said 48 people have been taken to five hospitals. More than 80 medics were sent to the scene to help those hurt.
One of the injured is an officer from British Transport Police who was stabbed after responding to the incident. His condition is serious, but not life-threatening.
Metropolitan Police Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley said: "The suspects were wearing what looked like explosive vests but these were later established to be hoaxes."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40146916
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2017 12:36 am
@izzythepush,
I can guess that more and more people will become worrisome for matters of heritage or skin color....
centrox

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2017 01:04 am
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:
I can guess that more and more people will become worrisome for matters of heritage or skin color....

Do you mean worried (feeling worried) or worrisome (liable to cause worry in other people) because of their heritage or skin colour? An important distinction. (We don't know anything about the attackers' "heritage" or "skin color" just yet.)

saab

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2017 02:32 am
My thoughts are with the people in London and GB. There simply has been too
much of suicide bombing and killing innocent human beings.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2017 04:13 am
@ossobucotemp,
London has a Muslim mayor, the 7/7 attacks which were the worst Islamist terrorist attack didn't stop that happening. Muslims are very vocal critics of the Manchester atrocity and have been forefront in helping victims and raising money for charity.

The terrorists want to drive a wedge between communities and we won't let that happen.

And as Contrex has pointed out we still don't know anything about the terrorists' nationality, skin colour, religion, ideology or even what team they support.
centrox

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2017 04:20 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
London has a Muslim mayor

Sadiq Khan, a mayor to be proud of, who has said today that the General Election "should not be postponed". That gave me the willies. I don't know if you have read "A Very British Coup" by Chris Mullin or seen the TV adaptation?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Very_British_Coup
izzythepush

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2017 09:00 am
@centrox,
I saw the TV series, it's particularly worrying today. It could happen, Corbyn is like Harry Perkins politically if not in other aspects.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2017 09:01 am
Quote:
Twelve people have been arrested after the London terror attack which left seven people dead and 48 injured.
The arrests in Barking, east London, followed a raid at a flat belonging to one of the three attackers.
A white van hit pedestrians on London Bridge at about 22:00 BST on Saturday, then three men got out and stabbed people in nearby Borough Market. They were shot dead by police minutes later.
Condemning the attack, Theresa May said it was "time to say enough is enough".
Controlled explosions were also carried out at the flat in Barking on Sunday morning.
According to neighbours, the dead attacker had lived there for about three years and was married with two children.
It is the third terror attack in the UK in three months, following the car and knife attack in Westminster in March, which left five people dead, and the Manchester bombing less than two weeks ago, in which 22 people were killed.
Most political parties have suspended national general election campaigning, but the prime minister said full campaigning would resume on Monday and the general election would go ahead as planned on Thursday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40148737
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2017 11:24 am
@centrox,
I mean worried for themselves because of other people's biases or possible actions because of the biases.
centrox

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2017 11:30 am
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:
I mean worried for themselves because of other people's biases or possible actions because of the biases.
In general, I would say not, these 'biases' are pretty unusual. You do hear stories like "Muslim woman abused in bus" but they are so rare they make the headlines and usually bystanders intervene. The police take a robust stance and the abusers are often arrested. Britain, and especially London is a very tolerant and level headed society. That is not to say that some people might not feel slightly awkward sometimes.

camlok

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2017 12:20 pm
@centrox,
Quote:
London is a very tolerant and level headed society.

One that let Blair illegally invade on the flimsiest of pretexts, Centrox? And still let's him walk around free.

How does that reflect a "very tolerant and level headed society"?
camlok

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2017 12:25 pm
@centrox,
The UK has a long history of virulent racism, racism used to subjugate, murder and steal from others. People don't commit these acts because of racism. The history of people being treated in a racist fashion doesn't show up a lot of mass murders/attempted mass murders for that.

But wouldn't you and yours be angry if someone invaded your country, murdered your children with wild abandon, murder their kith and kin with the same wild abandon and stole all you wealth?

Well, actually, most would only be taking back what is rightfully theirs.
0 Replies