Manchester attack: 22 dead and 59 hurt in suicide bombing

izzythepush

Reply Fri 26 May, 2017 03:25 am
Quote:
Police have arrested a man in the Moss Side area of Manchester in connection with Monday's attack at the city's Arena venue that killed 22 people.
He is one of eight men - aged between 18 and 38 - now in custody on suspicion of terror offences, Greater Manchester Police have said.
Police believe Manchester-born bomber Salman Abedi, from a family of Libyan origin, acted as part of a network.
In total, 10 people have been arrested in the UK but two were later released.
A 16-year-old boy and a 34-year-old woman were the two released without charge.
The 22nd victim of the attack has been named as 15-year-old Megan Hurley, from Halewood in Merseyside.
The UK terror threat level remains "critical" - meaning another attack could be imminent.
On Friday, police said they had searched an address in St Helens, Merseyside, in connection with the attack.
Residents who were moved from their homes in Wigan on Thursday night, while armed police and a bomb disposal unit searched a house, have been allowed to return.
In the Libyan capital Tripoli, Abedi's younger brother Hashem, 20, and their father, Ramadan, were held by special forces linked to the interior ministry.
A Libyan official has said Abedi's brother knew of his aim to carry out an attack, but did not know its timing or location.
Abedi, 22, was known to the security services, but his risk to the public remained "subject to review".
Security Minister Ben Wallace told the BBC there were 12,000 people in that category, those who had formerly been come to the attention of the security services.
Meanwhile, the UK has resumed sharing information with the US after assurances were received by counter-terrorism officers in the UK.
UK officials reacted angrily after the New York Times published leaked photos on Wednesday appearing to show debris from the crime scene, including bloodstained fragments from the bomb.
US president Donald Trump called the leaks "deeply troubling".
General election campaigning, which was suspended in the wake of the Manchester attack, will resume on Friday, with Labour set to draw links between wars abroad and terrorism "at home".
Leader Jeremy Corbyn will say that under a Labour government, UK foreign policy would change to one that "reduces rather than increases the threat" to the country.
Prime Minister Theresa May will be attending a G7 Summit meeting in Sicily on Friday.
In a speech, she will urge world leaders to do more to combat online extremism.
In other developments:
Security minister Ben Wallace has said a "protective shield" is in place for events over the bank holiday weekend, adding there is "no specific" threat against an event
The Changing of the Guard ceremonies at Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle will resume on Friday, having been cancelled on Wednesday to allow police officers to be redeployed in the wake of the Manchester attack
NHS England is warning health organisations to "ensure care is in place should it be needed" in the run-up to the Bank holiday weekend
Armed officers are to patrol trains nationwide for the first time
Former independent terrorism reviewer, Lord Carlile, has told the BBC it was a "grave mistake" for the government to "dilute" control orders and said T-Pims - the measures which replaced control orders - should be used more
US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson is due to meet Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson on Friday on his first official visit to the UK to show UK-US solidarity
UKIP's Suzanne Evans said Theresa May had to take "some responsibility" for the Manchester bombing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40056102
0 Replies

saab

Reply Fri 26 May, 2017 04:23 am
Hopefully everyone involved in slightest way will get arrested.
saab

Reply Fri 26 May, 2017 04:27 am
@saab,
Just read that 23 Coptic christians have been killed in Egypt. Again IS.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 26 May, 2017 09:52 am
Quote:
Police have made "significant arrests and finds" in their Manchester investigation, according to the UK's top counter-terrorism officer.
Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley said they had "got hold of a large part" of the terror network they believed bomber Salman Abedi to be part of.
"Immense" progress has been made, he added, but more arrests were likely.
Amid increased security at UK events, Mr Rowley also urged the public to "go out as planned and enjoy yourselves".
He added that police have reviewed security at more than 1,300 events across the country, and people could be "100% confident" they are doing everything possible to protect them.
But for the investigation team, he said, there were still "important" lines of inquiry to pursue, and the security level will not yet be reduced from "critical".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40056102
Below viewing threshold (view)
centrox

Reply Fri 26 May, 2017 11:09 am
Camlok, please leave this discussion.
Below viewing threshold (view)
centrox

Reply Fri 26 May, 2017 11:46 am
This thread had been pissed on. Maybe time to stop? Show how we feel?

camlok

Reply Fri 26 May, 2017 12:27 pm
@centrox,
I say, chaps, what say you we retire to the drawing room for brandy? I'm not much up to discussing facts. Truth be told, they bore me.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Fri 26 May, 2017 02:01 pm
Do not let us blame these attacks on anybody else, but the ones who planned them and those who did them and of course those preaching hate.
No matter where in the world these suiced attacks happen - they are a sign against our Christian values, our culture, our traditions and all what is good in our western world and they are also against education and more equality in not western countries.
camlok

Reply Fri 26 May, 2017 02:11 pm
@saab,
You have learned your propaganda well, saab. Go to the head of the class!
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 26 May, 2017 02:25 pm
@saab,
The cause of all the hatred is probably multi layered and no side is pure in this.

Religious values? both sides have them in different forms, likely with both sides also having non believers in the varied religions.. I understand your gripes. Have you tried to understand theirs? My saying this is not that I don't find Manchester a city I now like a lot, I'm now very pro Manchester - and not that don't decry the horrible.
centrox

Reply Fri 26 May, 2017 02:37 pm
Camlok just posts crappy nonsense in all kinds of topics, sometimes amazingly stupid, just so people will see his signature. DON'T FEED THE TROLL.
camlok

Reply Fri 26 May, 2017 03:00 pm
@centrox,
That is a description of you, Centrox, especially in the ESL/EFL sections, though I will note that you actually get some things right there.

Why are you so terribly frightened about discussing things?

Ossobuco is trying to break out of her shell. What is holding you back?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 26 May, 2017 03:08 pm
@centrox,
It's y fault for saying everyone on this thread had been thoroughly decent. Tempting providence.
camlok

Reply Fri 26 May, 2017 03:14 pm
@izzythepush,
Izzy, bringing up "thoroughly decent". What incredible irony!

How many UK politicians have been hung/sent to prison for the murders of the millions of Iraqis, Afghans, Libyans, Syrians, ... ?
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sat 27 May, 2017 01:49 am
@ossobucotemp,
Ossobuco
I was under no way generelizing the Muslims - they have their religious values and they are basicly very much like ours.
I was refering to the suicied bombers and people connecting with IS.
You asked me if I have tried to understand theirs? As I referred to IS and the likes and in no way to Muslims in general. I can only say that I have not and will not try to understand their values.
It is a very small percentage of all Muslims who are connedted with IS.
Amongst IS are also Europeans - not religious who converted. Also Christians who converted.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 27 May, 2017 02:58 am
@saab,
Osso could be forgiven for believing you were. Hate and bigotry are not confined to Muslims. Prior to this outrage Manchester was bombed by Christian IRA terrorists who also targeted innocents and killed children. Christian White supremacists in America have also butchered plenty of innocents. Closer to home there's Anders Breivik.

The vast majority of Muslims have condemned this atrocity. Muslim groups in Manchester have been at the front in trying to help the victims, from Muslim taxi drivers who took people home for free on the night of the bombings to Muslim, Libyan women brining pastries to hospitals for the victims and medical staff.

Manchester will not be divided, but you do sound like you're claiming some sort of moral superiority for Christians. That's what the extremists want, and that's how division starts.
saab

Reply Sat 27 May, 2017 03:55 am
@izzythepush,
The Manchester attack is too sad and too tragic to start a discussion about who did what when. Every terror attack is wrong - no matter from what side it comes.

izzythepush

Reply Sat 27 May, 2017 04:18 am
@saab,
Politicians are starting, UKIP have already put the blame on Theresa May for cutting police numbers. May has accused Corbyn of blaming the victims after he said the war on terrorism was a complete failure and that foreign policy needs to change so it stops fuelling terrorism.

Although the blame falls squarely on the perpetrators the fact remains that we never had problems with Islamist terrorists in Britain before the illegal invasion of Iraq.