National terror alert raised from yellow to orange. So what?

au1929

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 08:34 am
Phoenix32890
au1929- I beg to differ. If you remember, a lot of people died in the 2nd WTC building, because they were told that there was nothing to worry about, so they stayed

I am not quite sure what your beg to differ is alluding to. However, do you think that at this time and with the knowledge of past events changing the color of the terror alert will change how people will react under similar situations.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 11:10 am
I don't think the alerts are warning to leave the country -- I think they are aimed at local law enforcement and likely foreign diplomats and American travelers. That we should all be cognizant of what is going on in our area is looking for a needle in a haystack but it worked with the serial shootings of last year. Then, one can be cynical and wonder if the administration is using the alerts to shore up their march towards war in Iraq. That would be using fear to gain a positive public opinion but it's up to each and every one of us to decide.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 01:42 pm
LW, Whatever the Bush white house is doing seems to be working, because the majority of Americans are now behind his march to war with Iraq. c.i.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 01:45 pm
C.I., and what explanation may you give to such an overwhelming support that the President enjoys? Maybe, he is just right [/b].
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 01:56 pm
steissd

Could you please give the source for your last response? And explain your understanding of "overwhelming support"? (I agree that Bush enjoys!)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 02:06 pm
steissd, It seems only Americans and Jews are giving the GWBush Doctrine overwhelming support. There are some of us, Americans too, that do not see any ethical or moral value to supporting his march to war with Iraq. I, for one, believe in "containment." It seems to be working fine, and keeping people alive. c.i.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 04:03 pm
c.i
Quote:
It seems only Americans and Jews are giving the GWBush Doctrine overwhelming support.
What do you mean all Jews? American Jews? Israelis?
I would like to enlighten you that Americans of the Jewish faith are no more likely to follow Bush than any other American. In fact the preponderance of American Jews are liberal or at least democrats and are very much against Bush.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 04:10 pm
i think AU just might have it right on american jews.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 04:13 pm
If we put the Jews aside, it is quite natural that Americans support their President when the latter tries to provide the national security to their country. By the way (the question is to both Au and C.I.): what group do you attribute the Jews having the U.S. citizenship to? Do you consider them being Americans, or you tend to suspect them in double loyalty?
One more correction: U.S. plans are being supported not only by its own population and some mystical "Jews" (maybe, Sages of Zion from the ill-famed Protocols?). Bulgaria, Kuwait, Turkey also support the U.S. action and the latter country even plans to participate in it.
As far as I know, governments of Australia and UK share Mr. Bush's approach. Or, maybe, all these governments are possessed by "Jews"?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 04:39 pm
steissd
Strange question. Being Jewish is being a member of the Hebrew religion and is no different from being a Catholic or a Protestant when it comes to our loyalty the this nation. I had the good fortune to be born in this country and am an American first and above all. My family has been here for over 100 years. My father served in WW1, Brother in WW2 and I in Korean war. I trust this answers your question.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 04:51 pm
When I said "Jews," I was thinking of the leadership from Israel who I have heard speak in support of Bush's march to war with Iraq. That all emcompassing statement, after second thought, was unfair and uncalled for. c.i.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 04:54 pm
OK. That is what I always supposed. But C.I.'s comment on some mysterious Jews made me think that the latter are being considered aliens with double loyalty. Your response made me think that Jews in the USA hold monopoly on being anti-Republican. Now your new response made everything clear. I guess, there are both pro-Bush and anti-Bush members of the Jewish community in the USA, and such people may be found in all the ethnic and religious communities throughout the country. By the way, I failed to understand: why do you give yourself as an example while talking about the U.S. Jews? Are you the one?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 05:00 pm
I'm an atheist. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 05:06 pm
No, C.I., the question was addressed to Au, and not to you. I know that you are a Japanese American, therefore you are likely to be a Shintoist; well, you do not believe in God at all.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 05:07 pm
c.i.
I should have understood but as you know we all have buttons that can be pushed
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 05:11 pm
steissd
Yes I am Jewish. I thought that was evident.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 05:12 pm
C.I., Israeli leadership has reasons for supporting elimination of the Saddam's rogue regime. Current Iraqi leadership supports terror, and makes it more difficult to achieve peaceful solutions in the area. If Saddam pays $25,000 to the family of every suicide bomber, you can guess what is the influence of the Iraqi regime on the possibility of establishing peace here.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 05:21 pm
Obviously not a very good guess, steissd.

Besides:
"It is estimated that before World War II, 85 percent of Japanese were Buddhist. Possibly the sole Japanese American community with only a Christian church was Livingston (Yamato Colony). During the World War II internment, churches served as storage centers for personal property left behind by Japanese Americans, and as hostels for returning evacuees. The churches themselves organized into umbrella groups such as the Buddhist Churches of America, the Japanese Evangelical Mission Society, the Holiness Conference, and the Northern and Southern California Christian Church Federation. Most of the original congregations still exist today."
A History of Japanese Americans in California: ORGANIZATIONS AND RELIGIOUS PRACTICES
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 05:24 pm
Thanks for the information, Mr. Hinteler. I just thought that the Japanese immigrants brought with them the religion that dominated in their historical homeland.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 05:32 pm
Out of a population of 126,974,628 (est. 2002), about 90 million are considered to be Buddhists.
0 Replies