How often is Fast Food on your menu?

ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 10:38 pm
I am into the actual SlowFood movement, started by one guy in italy who apparently got charged about McDonalds being at the Spanish Steps in Rome. (Don't even get started, as Spanish Steps are not the Roman name of the piazza or place, that's a tourist name, if a longtime tourist name.)

SlowFood movement is growing in seriousness, almost too serious for me, an earlyish member, though I haven't paid up lately. But all about indiginous and well raised food, both for the palate and the land.

This might have all been helped by the new presence of Dunkin Donuts at or near Trevi Fountain.
If they are on the very small Trevi piazza or even a hundred feet from there, let me tell you, I weep, and wish them ill.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 10:59 pm
maybe once a week, which is a lot less than i used to.

sometimes its out of necessity -- its lunchtime, its pouring, and there's a McD's right around the corner...
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 03:23 pm
i voted "never", but should have voted : a few times a year. earlier in the week had to take the car in for maintenance, and mrs h and i went for a coffee and timbits at the local tim horton's. hbg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 03:26 pm
:-D Funny seeing that particular handle here...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 05:47 pm
What are timbits?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 05:59 pm
Just came home with a Super Tailgate from Bojangles (Chicken). Only the second time this year we have had it. Usually do fast food a couple of times a month if we are out and about, but not much excuse for it when we both work at home.

When the kids want tacos I might pick up Taco Bell. There's no way to make them that cheap or that good from scratch. I like the clean-up, too.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 05:59 pm
Quote:
What are timbits?

i'm guessing something they make at tim horton's...
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 06:15 pm
TIMBITS = the holes left when the donuts are being made ! they are quite tasty and do not contain any calories ... got ye' ! they are just little bits of fried donut dough ; small box of ten for $1.50; just enough to pop into your mouth while you are having your coffee - no chewing required. hbg ... here, have one on me ... isn't it tasty ?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 06:18 pm
FAST FOOD
here is a box of twenty for all to share >>>TIMBITS
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 06:31 pm
Oh, thank you so much!

And here's a basket of Garden of Eatin' PICO de GALLO all natural tortilla chips with cilantro, tomato, jalapeno, and garlic....

(made with no genetically engineered ingredients, and so on.)
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 06:36 pm
Does pizza count as fast food? If pizza counts, then I'd have to say at least once a week, but if not, then I'd say once every month or so.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 06:39 pm
prolly depends -- do you grab a quickie slice on the run, or do you sit down at a place with tablecloths and order a deep-dish?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 06:42 pm
Or, have pizza in italia? one day, Kicky, you will be there..
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 06:44 pm
Funny, when I lived in Firenze in'72 there was no pizza to be found.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 06:47 pm
Quote:
By far pizza has become America's favorite food over the past 50 years. Million of pizza pies are eaten daily, but how often do the people eating the food stop to consider the history. The true origins of this fine cuisine are as colorful as any good pizza pie heaping with toppings.

The common belief is that Italians invented the pizza, however the origins go back to the ancient times. Babylonians, Israelites, Egyptians and other ancient Middle Eastern cultures were eating flat, un-leaven bread that had been cooked in mud ovens. The bread was much like a pita, which is still common in Greece and the Middle East today. Further it is known that ancient Mediterranean people such as the Greeks, Romans and Egyptians were eating the bread, topped seasoned with olive oil and native spices.
the history of pizza...
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 06:47 pm
I love a Big Mac if it's fresh. Have about 4 a year. Hate Wendy's and BK. KFC is delish..once or twice a year. The Publix chain grocery chain in Florida makes the best fresh sandwiches I've ever had. You stand there and tell them what you want on it. A foot-long for $4.99
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 06:51 pm
Oakville Grocery in Healdsburg, CA makes the best fresh sandwiches I've ever had... meet you there, Panz, if you ever come to California.

I have no investment in who invented pizza myself, though I have secreted away somewhere the napolitano version.
Had my first pizza in Firenze, in a bowling alley. But I've told that story before..

Let's just say it's different in different places, even within blocks in Roma.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 06:54 pm
Region Philbis wrote:
prolly depends -- do you grab a quickie slice on the run, or do you sit down at a place with tablecloths and order a deep-dish?

Actually I usually get take-out from a fantastic pizza place near my apartment. It's so good, it can't be considered fast food. So I guess my answer is, once every month or so.

P.S. I talked to a girl today who just moved here from Italy and she said the pizza in New York is "orribile!"
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 06:57 pm
Laughing...
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 06:58 pm
ossobuco wrote:
And here's a basket of Garden of Eatin' PICO de GALLO all natural tortilla chips with cilantro, tomato, jalapeno, and garlic....

(made with no genetically engineered ingredients, and so on.)

OMG! That is so good!!! I LOVE Pico de Gallo... cilantro, garlic... Ahhh!

Could someone pass that basket of chips this way, please?
0 Replies