The anti-gay marriage movement IS homophobic

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 10:15 am
Revel writes
Quote:
It is not an idiotic issue if you are gay and you want to get married to someone you love and you are not allowed simply because of someone's else's beliefs.

Marriage is a civil union between a man and a woman. Whether straight or gay, everybody is subject to the same law and has identical rights. The law neither refers to love nor requires it for that civil union and sexual orientation is a non issue so far as the law is concerned.

Many would support a similar type civil union for others who wish to form themselves into family groups, but they need to pick a different word than marriage as marriage is what it is. And these other groups can have whatever religious ceremony they want or none at all just like married people can.

It is not the word that makes the love you know.
0 Replies

twinpeaksnikki2

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 10:27 am
Sorry, ff, but I am not going to compromise my civil rights because some homophobes have a problem with calling it what it is: marriage.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 10:42 am
It is marriage so long as you legally marry a consenting person of the opposite sex. Everybody has the identical same right in that regard. If you want to form a legal union with a person of the same sex, I will fight for your right to do that. Just pick a different word because it won't be marriage that requires a union of opposite sexes.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 10:44 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Revel writes
Quote:
It is not an idiotic issue if you are gay and you want to get married to someone you love and you are not allowed simply because of someone's else's beliefs.

Marriage is a civil union between a man and a woman. Whether straight or gay, everybody is subject to the same law and has identical rights. The law neither refers to love nor requires it for that civil union and sexual orientation is a non issue so far as the law is concerned.

Many would support a similar type civil union for others who wish to form themselves into family groups, but they need to pick a different word than marriage as marriage is what it is. And these other groups can have whatever religious ceremony they want or none at all just like married people can.

It is not the word that makes the love you know.

Well, now you've just gone too far again. Or I guess you didn't go where I thought your last post went. Pity.

The rest of us don't accept your restriction on who gets special rights and status as 'married'. It's a straight civil rights matter worth fighting for. It will be worked out over time.
0 Replies

twinpeaksnikki2

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 10:47 am
Foxfyre wrote:
and within a couple of generations or so we won't have anybodyaround pushing these kinds of idiotic issues.

You mean like opposing Civil Rights for LGBTs?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 10:55 am
twin_peaks_nikki wrote:
Sorry, ff, but I am not going to compromise my civil rights because some homophobes have a problem with calling it what it is: marriage.

I am not a homophobe, I am a homosexual male who is still working on figuring out the word marriage when it comes to same sex unions. That said, I have to admit that since this matter has come up I find absolutely no reason why it couldn't or shouldn't be called a marriage. When I look at the definition of the word marriage I see that it is a union of 2 people or things. Now if 2 contracts can be married into one, or 2 invoices, or 2 meals are wed on one plate, then why is there an issue with 2 women or 2 men getting married? Clearly for me at least it has to do (in part) with the antiquated upbringing I had. Things change, and the first step towards that change has been placing this issue up on the front burner and getting people to talk about it. Next up will be the action of making marriage legal for any 2 persons who want it. Breathe deep and smile, because it has already started to happen...slowly yes, but it is happening.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 11:03 am
A point of agreement between us, sturgis. I'm pleased we've finally found one.

My father was English in cultural heritage and a leftie union organizer in his politics. He was also homophobic as a consequence of the circumstances of where he grew up and the culture of that area (Canadian prairies). This was so even though his own brother was homosexual, and a fine fellow.

In odd contrast, my mother's family were Mennonite (the church I was raised in) out of the Ukraine and who also raised their family initially in the prairies before moving to BC. They were not in the least bit homophobic.

These prejudices are so incredibly arbitrary and folks take them on or not as a consequence (mainly) of upbringing. It really is exactly like racism or marginalization of women, etc.
0 Replies

twinpeaksnikki2

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 11:13 am
Foxfyre wrote:
It is marriage so long as you legally marry a consenting person of the opposite sex. Everybody has the identical same right in that regard. If you want to form a legal union with a person of the same sex, I will fight for your right to do that. Just pick a different word because it won't be marriage that requires a union of opposite sexes.

Kind of like getting to sit in the middle of the bus. Your argument is classic Orwell.

All pigs are created equal but some are more equal than others.

Where is it written in stone that marriage requires two people of the opposite sex? Marriage has continually evolved over the years. Nothing ever stays the same. If anyone is denied equal rights, everyone is. Unfortunatley, there are many backward-thinking people in this country who don't understand this. Over 50% believe creationism over evolution. It will be a long hard struggle enlightening the ignorant but we will prevail.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 01:31 pm
blatham wrote:
echi wrote:
blatham wrote:
Why not leave churches out of it?

Because marriage is a religious institution. Government's involvement is relatively recent.

Are you sure? In what historical context? Even during much of American history, neither organized civil nor religious authorities were present in many communities. What of other earlier times and cultures?

Marriage began as an establishment of religioun. It wasn't until the 1800s that you needed a license to get married in the U.S. Although it was already somewhat entangled in state law, that was all carried over from the Church of England. State marriage law has been around a long time, but the institution is a spiritual one and, according to the U.S. Constitution, should be left to the church.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 01:32 pm
Quote:
Marriage began as an establishment of religioun.

Where and when? What are your historical sources for this claim?
0 Replies

twinpeaksnikki2

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 01:36 pm
echi wrote:
blatham wrote:
echi wrote:
blatham wrote:
Why not leave churches out of it?

Because marriage is a religious institution. Government's involvement is relatively recent.

Are you sure? In what historical context? Even during much of American history, neither organized civil nor religious authorities were present in many communities. What of other earlier times and cultures?

Marriage began as an establishment of religioun. It wasn't until the 1800s that you needed a license to get married in the U.S. Although it was already somewhat entangled in state law, that was all carried over from the Church of England. State marriage law has been around a long time, but the institution is a spiritual one and, according to the U.S. Constitution, should be left to the church.

So marriage laws are unconstitutional. WTF?
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 01:41 pm
blatham wrote:
Quote:
Marriage began as an establishment of religion.

I will try to find sources that will satisfy you. Do you have any evidence to support that marriage was first instituted by the state?
0 Replies

twinpeaksnikki2

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 01:43 pm
echi wrote:
blatham wrote:
Quote:

I will try to find sources that will satisfy you. Do you have any evidence to support that marriage was first instituted by the state?

The burden of proof is yours. Do you just make things up?
0 Replies

twinpeaksnikki2

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 01:49 pm
echi wrote:
blatham wrote:
Quote:

BTW the fact that you would pose a question like that indicates you do not have a clue what you are talking about. You have an extremely simplistic view of a very complex matter i.e. origins of monagamy.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 01:56 pm
echi wrote:
blatham wrote:
Quote:

OK. There are several issues in play here.

First, just as a matter of logical protocol, the person who makes an initial claim bears the burden of proof. That initial claim - that marriage is historically a religious institution - was your claim. Your task then would be to bring evidence that your claim is historically sound. If I don't find your evidence compelling or relevant, then I'll have to show why it isn't. Tip: stay away from biased sources because they aren't likely to be up to snuff.

Second...well, there are other issues here too but let's go one at a time.
0 Replies

twinpeaksnikki2

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 02:04 pm
To illustrate just how simplistic echi's view is I pst the following from wikipedia. Since the origins of marriage predate history much of the origins are clouded in myth. To flatly ask blatham to prove the state instituted marriage demonstrates how ignorant of the origins of marriage echi is. Blatham never suggested that the state instituted marriage BTW

Quote:
Introduction

Ideographically, 婚 (pinyin: hūn) is identical to 昏 (pinyin: hūn, literally meaning "evening" or "dusk"). In more ancient writings, though the former has the radical 女 (pinyin: nǔ, which literally means "a female"). This implies that courting couples met in the evening. Similarly, 姻 (pinyin: yīn) is the same as 因 (pinyin: yīn). According to Zhang Yi's (張揖) Guangya Shigu (廣雅•釋詁), a dictionary of ancient Chinese characters, 因 (pinyin: yīn) means "friendliness", "love" and "harmony", indicating that correct way of living for a married couple.
[edit]

Marriage in a Confucian Context

In Confucian thought, marriage is of grave significance both to families and to society. Traditionally incest has been defined as marriage between people with the same surname. From the perspective of a Confucian family, marriage brings together families of different surnames and so continues the family line of the paternal clan. This is generally why having a boy is more preferred than a girl when giving birth. Therefore, the benefits and demerits of any marriage are important to the entire family, not just the individual couples. Socially, the married couple is thought to be the basic unit of society. In Chinese history there have been many times when marriages have affected the country's political stablity and international relations. From the Han dynasty the rulers of certain powerful foreign tribes such as the Mongolians, the Manchus, the Xiongnu, and the Turks demanded women from the Imperial family. Many periods of Chinese history were dominated by the families of the wife or mother of the ruling Emperor. Thus marriage can be related to politics.
[edit]

Prehistoric Chinese marriages
[edit]

Marriages in Early Societies

In traditional Chinese thinking people in "primitive" societies did not marry, but had sexual relationships with one and other indiscriminately. Such people were thought to live like other animals, and they did not have the precise concept of motherhood, fatherhood, sibling, husband and wife, and gender, not to mention match-making and marriage ceremony. Part of the Confucian "civilizing mission" was to define what it meant to be a Father or a Husband, and to teach people to respect the proper relationship between family members and regulate sexual behavior.
[edit]

Sibling marriages

Sibling marriage, although forbidden in Chinese culture, was reported to a minor extent in very early Chinese mythology. There was a story about the marriage of Nüwa and Fu Xi, who were once sister and brother respectively. At that time the world was unpopulated. The siblings wanted to get married but, at the same time, they felt ashamed. So they went up to Kunlun Shan and prayed to Heaven. They asked for Heaven's permission for their marriage and said, "if You allow us to marry, please make the mist surround us." Heaven gave permission to the couple, and promptly the peak was covered in mist. It is said that in order to hide her shyness, Nüwa covered her blushing face with a fan. Nowadays in some villages in China, the brides still follow the custom and use a fan to shield their faces.
[edit]

Inter-clan marriage and antithetic marriage

In Chinese society males should not marry females of the same surname (this have been largely disregarded in recent era as the Chinese population expanded to such an extent that people who hold the same surname might have little or no relation with each other at all). This is seen as incest and it is thought there is a risk that abnormal births might result. Marriage of a son to close relatives of his mother, however, is not seen as incest. Different clans might have more than one surname. Historically, there were numerous important clans living along the Yellow River in the ancient China, like the tribe of Huang Di with the common surname Ji and that of Yan Di with the surname Jiang. Because marriage to one's maternal relatives was not thought of as incest these families sometimes intermarried from one generation to another.

Over time Chinese people became more geographically mobile. Couples were married in what is called an extra-clan marriage, or better known as antithetic marriage. This occurred in the midst of the New Stone Age, i.e. around 5000 BC. According to modern Chinese scholars of a Marxist persuasion Matriarchy prevailed in society at that time, therefore husbands needed to move to, and live with, their wives' families. Yet individuals remained members of their biological families. When a couple died, the husband and the wife were buried separately in the respective clan's graveyard. Offspring would be buried with their mother. Antithetic marriage still happens in modern China. In Yunnan, males and females in the minority group known as Nakhi form temporary couples, and they call each other "Ahchu" rather than "husband and wife". The male "Ahchu"s live and work in the home of the female "Ahchu"s.
[edit]

Maternal marriage and Monogamy

In a maternal marriage, a male would become a son-in-law who lived in the wife's home. The husband would also need to change his surname into his wife's one. This happed in the transformation of antithetic marriage into monogamy, which signifying that the decline of matriarchy and the growing dominance of patriarchy in the ancient China.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 02:50 pm
It is precisely because the origins are so shrouded that my request for evidence to the contrary was valid.

twin_peaks_nikki...
I said I would try to find evidence, remember? Settle down.

blatham...
Thanks for the advice. I do know to evaluate the legitimacy of information sources.

I was unable to find evidence to support my claim. I did find some evidence that marriage, in fact, came about for political and economic reasons and that love and religion were in no way involved.
0 Replies

twinpeaksnikki2

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 03:00 pm
echi wrote:
It is precisely because the origins are so shrouded that my request for evidence to the contrary was valid.

twin_peaks_nikki...
I said I would try to find evidence, remember? Settle down.

blatham...
Thanks for the advice. I do know to evaluate the legitimacy of information sources.

I was unable to find evidence to support my claim. I did find some evidence that marriage, in fact, came about for political and economic reasons and that love and religion were in no way involved.

Checkmate.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 03:03 pm
twin_peaks_nikki wrote:

Checkmate.

Huh?
0 Replies

twinpeaksnikki2

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 03:07 pm
echi wrote:
twin_peaks_nikki wrote: