The anti-gay marriage movement IS homophobic

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 12:38 pm
Five pages later, and we have yet to get a good answer to the question:

In what ways, SPECIFICALLY, does Gay marriage harm pre-existing, or potential, straight marriages?

I suspect there IS no rational answer to this question.

Therefore; Anti-gay marriage is a symptom of the latent homophobia which is still heavily apparent in our society.

This should not be surprising; it's only been a few decades since open gayness was allowable by mainstream society. I believe that those of my generation (I'm 25) are much more open to the idea of homosexuality than previous generations, and as time goes on, you will see that reflected in people's attitudes....

Not that that has anything to do with the law. Which, I remind everyone, should be based upon LOGIC, and sound logic at that.

The consititution says that all men are free and equal.

If you consider homosexuals to be people, you have to give them exactly equal rights that other people have, even if the idea of it makes you uncomfortable.

If you wish to make an exception to this rule, you need to be able to provide logical reasons for doing so.

I eagerly await them.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 12:42 pm
McG said
Quote:
You don't seem to realize a lot of things. A semantics discussion is exactly what this is. An argument over the definition of the word "marriage". Neither side seems willing to negotiate the definition so the debate wears on.

This 'definition' argument gets repeated, but it's non-sensical. Slaves and women were once defined as 'property' in law. Ought we have forevermore hewed up tight to such definitions, or changed them to include those previously outside of equal status?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 12:44 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Therefore; Anti-gay marriage is a symptom of the latent homophobia which is still heavily apparent in our society.

This should not be surprising; it's only been a few decades since open gayness was allowable by mainstream society. I believe that those of my generation (I'm 25) are much more open to the idea of homosexuality than previous generations, and as time goes on, you will see that reflected in people's attitudes....

Not that that has anything to do with the law. Which, I remind everyone, should be based upon LOGIC, and sound logic at that.

Your own logic here is questionable. 1 is not 2, ergo 1 is 3!

Just because people can't articulate an argument to you that you think is rational it doesn't mean that they are homophobic. Some may be but your jump in logic is unfounded here.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 12:48 pm
cyclo

Permit me to introduce fishin, if you haven't already met. He's a good guy, and not much gets past him. But he wears thong underwear.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 12:49 pm
blatham wrote:
But he wears thong underwear.

Yeah. Now quit stealing them. Bastid! Wink
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 12:51 pm
What logic should we use?

If someone has a problem with Gay marriage; AND they cannot give logical reasons why it should not be legal, but still claims it should not be so; THEN they are operating from an illogical position.

I guess fishin' is right; there could be any number of reasons people are against gay marriage, that have nothing to do with logic, and yet are not founded in homophobia. I eagerly await to hear these reasons and people's justification for the formation of policy based upon them.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 12:57 pm
I've given them to you Cyclo, you just do not want to understand or accept them.

Being pro-hetero marriage in no way, shape or form makes one homophobic.

Wanting to keep a traditional definition of family baeing one mother, one father and children is not being homo-phobic.

Wanting to keep the traditional definition of marriage being one man and one woman is not being homo-phobic.

Wanting to be able to pass on a families traditional values to their offspring is not being homo-phobic.

None of these things have ANYTHING to do with homosexuals.

I think the only definition being distorted in this thread has been that of "homo-phobia".
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 12:57 pm
Well, I'm very late to this thread. (I've only read from Cyclops post from 2 posts up). But here's my 2 cents. Apologies if any of this is covered in prior posts.

Many "moral" laws do not appear to "hurt" anyone in particular. (ie, anti-prostitution laws, anti-obscenity laws, anti-sodomy laws, anti-incest laws, anti-drug laws, etc.) I suppose these laws exist either to protect the structure of "society," the human race in general (you know ... "do these things and the race will survive," propagate, etc.), or because there have been "studies" to show there is harm to the public. I'm not sure this is a satisfactory answer to the question, though.

Quote:

Some would say gay marriage is a symptom of rampant homosexuality in our society. To allow it would be to condone it, and many view homosexuality as an abomination. Thus, treat the symptom.

Quote:
The consititution says that all men are free and equal.

I believe the Preamble says all men are CREATED equal.

Quote:
If you consider homosexuals to be people, you have to give them exactly equal rights that other people have, even if the idea of it makes you uncomfortable.

Most would consider murderers to be people also, but do not believe they are entitled to the same rights as you and I. I don't intend to compare homosexuality to murder, just to point out the inherent fallacy in your argument.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 01:04 pm
Ticomaya wrote:

Most would consider murderers to be people also, but do not believe they are entitled to the same rights as you and I. I don't intend to compare homosexuality to murder, just to point out the inherent fallacy in your argument.

When you don't intend to do so, why did you actually do it then Shocked

(And actually, even convited murderers can marry - maybe, not in the USA, but elsewhere.)
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 01:05 pm
Quote:
I've given them to you Cyclo, you just do not want to understand or accept them.

Wanting to keep a traditional definition of family baeing one mother, one father and children is not being homo-phobic.

Wanting to keep the traditional definition of marriage being one man and one woman is not being homo-phobic.

Wanting to be able to pass on a families traditional values to their offspring is not being homo-phobic.

I think the only definition being distorted in this thread has been that of "homo-phobia".

You see,

The things you have listed here are not reasons for being against gay marriage.

I don't have a problem with anything you've listed above. But NONE of those things are adequate reasoning for not allowing people to pursue the same dreams of happiness as other Americans.

Line by line:

Quote:

Of course not. But being anti-gay marriage is quite different from being pro-hetero marriage.

Quote:

Who says you can't do this, in your family, when Homosexuals are married?

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You're absolutely right. Therefore; they don't have anything to do with the reasoning AGAINST gay marriage. The things you listed are great, but have no real place in this thread, yaknow? They aren't logical reasons for the formation of law.

Somebody please tell me how the homosexual marriage is more harmful to the American family than divorce, child abuse, spousal abuse, or infidelity - all of which are common problems in HETERO marriages, but you don't see us trying to legislate divorce out of the country....

I still await a logical reason showing how families are harmed by homosexual marriage.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 01:06 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

When you don't intend to do so, why did you actually do it then Shocked

"just to point out the inherent fallacy in your argument"

Rolling Eyes

(I thought I said that.)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 01:13 pm
Mmh, I think the terminus technicus for such is "Sleigh of mind fallacies".
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 02:01 pm
McGentrix wrote:

McG

You've never done nor said anything to make me suspect you guilty of homophobia (Websters: homophobia n : prejudice against (fear or dislike of) homosexual people and homosexuality), your statements on the matter have been clear.

But what you state above, your preferences for maintenance of a legal definition and legal status, can't be granted any further validity than mere preference. Again, lots of folks did, and some still do, maintain the preference that the races do not intermingle sexually or socially. Preference, arising out of tradition or local cultural norms, cannot be the basis upon which we deny the equality provisions and principles of a just society.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 02:03 pm
Thanks for stating that better than I could, Blatham...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 02:08 pm
blatham wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

McG

You've never done nor said anything to make me suspect you guilty of homophobia (Websters: homophobia n : prejudice against (fear or dislike of) homosexual people and homosexuality), your statements on the matter have been clear.

But what you state above, your preferences for maintenance of a legal definition and legal status, can't be granted any further validity than mere preference. Again, lots of folks did, and some still do, maintain the preference that the races do not intermingle sexually or socially. Preference, arising out of tradition or local cultural norms, cannot be the basis upon which we deny the equality provisions and principles of a just society.

Let me digest this for a bit...
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 03:11 pm
Another deletion by author in the certain knowledge the addressee read message.

As some Italian observed "La donna e mobile....."
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 03:16 pm
It could only - it was meant Embarrassed

Sorry - and "scheenen Dank" HofT!
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 03:22 pm
..... deleted by author, in the belief the addressee read the message....<G>
0 Replies

HofT