The anti-gay marriage movement IS homophobic

Omar de Fati

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 05:34 pm
Debra_Law wrote:
Omar de Fati wrote:
Debra_Law wrote:
Omar de Fati wrote:

That's not the funny part. I'm sitting here telling my friend, "she must be a freaking attorney". The reason I thought it? Only attorneys are so slick at misrepresenting anothers statements.

I did not misrepresent your statements. I addressed the statements you made. Unless you delete or edit your original posts, I can show you exactly where you made the statement that prompted a particular response. So let's not go there. Smile

Really? So if I list a few statements you've made that I think are misrepresentations, why I think it, you'll show me why you think they are accurate representations? (that means I don't care if you show me "what prompted the response". I want to see you demostrate it's an accurate representation)

I think that would be seriously great.

Okay . . . you're the accuser. The charge: Misrepresentation.

As the accused, I'm entitled to specific notice of the statements you made and exactly where and how I misrepresented those statements.

Go ahead. Present your case of Omar de Fati v. Debra_Law.

Let's ignore your promise to be 'done with me' & I'll ask the question again:

So if I list a few statements you've made that I think are misrepresentations and why I think it, you'll show me why you think they are accurate representations?
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 05:37 pm
Omar de Fati wrote:
SCoates wrote:
Omar de Fati wrote:
SCoates wrote:
Omar, you're out of line.

You need to cool down a little.

At least, I would certainly recommend it.

Uhm...what exactly does cooling down entail in your opinion?

My opinion is irrelevant. you need to cool down.

I'd love to take your advise, but it's a tad cryptic. Why don't you just tell me what you mean by 'cool down'?

Do you honestly think you're fooling anyone? But sure, I'll play along.

Your posts are angry and disrespectful. By "cool down" I meant to suggest you eliminate those aspects from each post. But focusing on just one or the other would be a sufficient start.

Is that what you wanted? I can explain any of those words if you have more trouble. Smile
0 Replies

Omar de Fati

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 05:44 pm
SCoates wrote:
Omar de Fati wrote:
SCoates wrote:
Omar de Fati wrote:
SCoates wrote:
Omar, you're out of line.

You need to cool down a little.

At least, I would certainly recommend it.

Uhm...what exactly does cooling down entail in your opinion?

My opinion is irrelevant. you need to cool down.

I'd love to take your advise, but it's a tad cryptic. Why don't you just tell me what you mean by 'cool down'?

Do you honestly think you're fooling anyone? But sure, I'll play along.

Your posts are angry and disrespectful. By "cool down" I meant to suggest you eliminate those aspects from each post. But focusing on just one or the other would be a sufficient start.

Is that what you wanted? I can explain any of those words if you have more trouble. Smile

Do you honestly think you're fooling anyone? I'll play along & pretend you didn't see anyone call me a liar, didn't see passive-aggresive attacks on me since I've entered the thread. This very thread itself is a huge attack on the character of anyone who opposes SSM.

And I disagree. My posts are not angry or disrespectful. Maybe you think the words 'cool down' mean to eliminate anger & disrespect from one's posts. Forgive me if I've never encountered the phrase used that way before. I don't know how asking you to explain your use of 'cool down' some how put me at odds with you, but whatever.

If you have any trouble identifying which posts I think are passive-agressive attacks & where I am called a liar, let me know. I'll be happy to point them out. I'd be interested in seeing if you recommend they "need" to cool down. Very Happy

edit: I forgot to throw in a smilie to indicate I'm not angry or being disrespectful.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 05:56 pm
Yeah, I'm a jerk sometimes.

Anyway, I agree with much of what you've had to say, but with the way you've stated your posts, I don't think you should be surprised that anyone takes offense.
0 Replies

Omar de Fati

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 06:27 pm
I'm totally surprised those who are implying opponents of same sex marriage are homophobes, are themselves offended by words like "slick", "abnormal", "misrepresentation" & "ridiculous".

I'm even more surprised someone who calls me a liar gets offended by being called a liar--because he lied. Even more still, I'm surprised the phrase "spelling nazi" means "Nazi". Seriously, that's surprising.

Dude, or dudette because I don't know, I'm so surprised these folks are offended it's beyond my ability to described it.

So we can play the "oh there's a new guy who is caustic" game--let's get him banned! But I'm not backing down. I'll be polite & courteous to start, & I'll continue with people who return the behavior. People who act silly, I'm going to say "Hey, you're being silly", then I'm going to show them why I think they're being silly. People who lie, I'll say they are misrepresenting me. People who call me a liar, & themselves lie, will get called a liar.

Or, I might ignore them. And I'll do it until I get kicked off the board for not figuring out my "place" according to the board's politics or people who disagree with me return the courtesy I extend to them.

And you know what, I still haven't heard word one why I should support same sex marriage or why anyone is otherwise a homophobe. Shocked
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 07:54 pm
Quote:
And you know what, I still haven't heard word one why I should support same sex marriage

Go back and read the thread

Quote:
or why anyone is otherwise a homophobe

Usually it is because they are repressed homosexuals.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 08:26 pm
Omar de Fati wrote:
So if I list a few statements you've made that I think are misrepresentations and why I think it, you'll show me why you think they are accurate representations?

All you do is make ad hominem arguments and accuse people of misrepresenting your statements. If you have a case, spell it out. If not, quit making accusations.
0 Replies

Omar de Fati

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 10:07 pm
Debra_Law wrote:
Omar de Fati wrote:

All you do is make ad hominem arguments and accuse people of misrepresenting your statements. If you have a case, spell it out. If not, quit making accusations.

I believe withholding my support for SSM legislation is a better idea.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 06:31 am
I will give over in the arugment of not everyone who disagrees with SSM is a homophobic. There are a lot of reasons that a person might disagree with SSM.

IMO I think they pretty well all come back to some kind of moral reason.

Here is a deifinition of homphobic from an online dictionary.

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=homophobia&x=9&y=12

One entry found for homophobia.

Main Entry: ho·mo·pho·bia
Pronunciation: "hO-m&-'fO-bE-&
Function: noun
: irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals
- ho·mo·pho·bic /-'fO-bik/ adjective
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 07:37 am
Can we make the claim (validly, or sensibly) that the anti-segretation movement was racist?

Or, that the anti-women's right to vote movement was sexist?
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 07:55 am
blatham wrote:
Can we make the claim (validly, or sensibly) that the anti-segretation movement was racist?

Well, you can make the claim that segregation was racist, but not the anti-segregation movement. :wink:

But what you are hinting at has nothing to do with people who oppose gay marriage being homophobes. If you want to call someone a homophobe, go out and find people who discriminate against homosexuals. Go find people who are trying to treat them as second class citizens. I am certain that some are in the anti-same sex marriage crowd. But, as the title of this thread states, do not paint the majority of those as homophobes simply because of opposition to same sex marriage.

A majority of people in this country currently oppose same sex marriage for a variety of reasons, most of which do not have anything to do with a fear of or aversion to homosexuals.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 08:12 am
Quote:
A majority of people in this country currently oppose same sex marriage for a variety of reasons, most of which do not have anything to do with a fear of or aversion to homosexuals.

How could you possibly know that? As we know, those who are motivated by homophobia and latent homosexulaity are not going to admit it.

I cannot unequivocally state that all or most people who oppose same sex marriage are homophobes. And you cannot state that they are not. What would be refreshing is for just one person here to admit he is homophobic.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 08:23 am
CoastalRat wrote:
blatham wrote:

Well, you can make the claim that segregation was racist, but not the anti-segregation movement. :wink:
Wink noted. But why hedge on this question? Possibly, someone's personal economic interests might have been affected by particular anti-segregation legislation (that is, a person here or there in the south may have been motivated by other than racism) but the movement was most surely an expression of deep cultural preferences for which 'racism' is the appropriate descriptor.

But what you are hinting at has nothing to do with people who oppose gay marriage being homophobes. If you want to call someone a homophobe, go out and find people who discriminate against homosexuals. Go find people who are trying to treat them as second class citizens. I am certain that some are in the anti-same sex marriage crowd. But, as the title of this thread states, do not paint the majority of those as homophobes simply because of opposition to same sex marriage.
The applicable definition of 'homophobia' was entered much earlier on the thread and has again, one page back, been re-entered by revel (tah). Beating or dragging behind a truck isn't a necessary precondition to matching this definition. So far, here or elsewhere, I've yet to come across an argument justifying the denial of gays the rights to full equality (including in marriage) which comes anywhere near meeting the sort of criteria we might need to justify denial of equality.

Yes, you say this, but what are those reasons in their full and non-homophobic variety? And what tests ought they to meet such that they justify placing your preferences, or a majoritarian preference, over the principles of equality and fairness?[/[/color]quote]
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 08:28 am
Chrissee wrote:
Quote:
And you know what, I still haven't heard word one why I should support same sex marriage

Go back and read the thread

Quote:
or why anyone is otherwise a homophobe

Usually it is because they are repressed homosexuals

In your view then, everyone who opposes SSM is a "repressed homosexual"? Am I following your logic correctly?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 08:31 am
CoastalRat wrote:
blatham wrote:

I have seen blatham (or certainly his better half, so perhaps I'm confusing them here) make the argument that someone who wishes that race NOT be a factor in any part of life, is a racist ... so it comes as no real surprise to see him make the claim that an "anti-segregationist" is a racist.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 08:32 am
Chrissee wrote:
Quote:

How could you possibly know that? As we know, those who are motivated by homophobia and latent homosexulaity are not going to admit it.

I cannot unequivocally state that all or most people who oppose same sex marriage are homophobes. And you cannot state that they are not. What would be refreshing is for just one person here to admit he is homophobic.

What would be refreshing is for you to stop spouting the nonsense that you keep spouting. You continue to point fingers at anyone who disagrees with the way you think the law should read, going so far as to accuse people of being homophobes and having latent homosexual tendencies. Keep it up Chrissee. You do your cause more harm than any Bible-thumping fundamentalist could do in a lifetime.

But in all fairness, I will admit one point. It is only my opinion, based upon people I know, that the majority of people against same sex marriage are not homophobes. Read what a homophobe is Chrissee. Do I know anyone who FEARS homosexuals? Nope, no fear and I don't think the churches of America are filled with people who fear them either. We may believe their lifestyle is sinful, but it is not fear. Do I know anyone with an AVERSION to homosexuals? Nope, afraid not. I and people I know have worked along side them, I have friends who are gay, I have family who is gay. I care about them as much as I would anyone else. And people I know feel the same. No aversion that I have ever seen.
My bet would be that if you took a poll of people who are against same sex marriage, you would find that a majority feel the same as I do. But admittedly, it is only my opinion based upon my experience.

Nowhere in all the arguments that I have seen against gay marriage is there any hint of homophobia. But if you can point me to various posts on A2K from anyone stating they are against same sex marriage because the hate gays or because they are somehow afraid of gays, then you will have at least shown that someone is a homophobe.

You and I may disagree over your lifestyle and over the issue of gay marriage. And your experience with Christians may very well differ from my experience with Christians. Thus our different views. But if we knew each other socially, I know I would not look down at you nor treat you any differently than any other person. From reading your many posts, I'm not too sure you could say the same.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 08:34 am
chrissie

I don't buy the assumption that Tico points to either. Those pushing to keep segregationist policies/values in place surely weren't repressed blacks. Nor does it make much sense to suggest that those pushing to disallow womens' right to vote were closet female wannabes.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 08:38 am
Ticomaya wrote:
CoastalRat wrote:
blatham wrote:

I have seen blatham (or certainly his better half, so perhaps I'm confusing them here) make the argument that someone who wishes that race NOT be a factor in any part of life, is a racist ... so it comes as no real surprise to see him make the claim that an "anti-segregationist" is a racist.

Boy, I'd love to see you dig up the quote you seem to remember. Will you get it soon or should I keep reminding you?

But as to your argument, you rather conveniently drop out any notion of how 1950 is not now.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 08:39 am
Ticomaya wrote:
CoastalRat wrote:
blatham wrote:

What I was trying to point out is that an "anti-segregationist" would never have been racist. A segregationist would have been since he would have been against someone having basic equality with someone else simply because of his race. An anti-segregationist would have been people like ML King. His post painted the wrong group as being racist.

I knew what he meant and was getting at though.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 08:43 am
Blatham, since we have both read the definition of homophobia, why don't you tell me how being against same sex marriage would identify someone of being homophobic.

I have I believe explained why I don't think it is. You obviously seem to disagree with me (unless I have read your comments incorrectly). So I honestly await hearing why, simply because I do not agree with allowing same sex marriages that I am somehow homophobic.
0 Replies