The anti-gay marriage movement IS homophobic

georgeob1

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 06:40 am
old europe wrote:
Aren't those rights in general created for the couple as well? Not just for their children?

Why do couples without children have those rights? Why do couples who never intend to raise children have those rights?

In the first place the "rights" we are speaking of are those fouund Wyiaka's earlier post, mostly relating to Vetran's Administration disability benefits and other legal matters which are readily solved by the issuance of a general power of attorney.

The benefits in question are VA disability payments which also contain a generally reduced payment for the surviving spouse and any dependent children of the disabled vetran. They were enacted in keeping with the phrase Lincoln used in his second inaugrial address "to bind the nations wounds, ... to care for the wounded soldier, and his widow and orphan...". The people have the right, to act through their government to do these things. No one has an inalienable right to VA benefits. He/she must be a veteran and also be disabled as a result of service. The amount of the disability and the associated payment are determined by the government and can be changed at any time. These benefits are not transferable - vetrans cannot grant them to brothers, cosins, friends, or homosexual partners.

Distinctions such as these are an inescapable part of life. There will always be difficult marginal cases on both sides of any line that must be drawn.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 06:40 am
Let's go here first.

Thomas said...
Quote:
It looks as if we might be slouching towards something like agreement. Would you be fine if government legalized all marriage contracts consenting grown-ups might sign, but eliminate all privileges of married people over singles?

To be quite honest, it is the benefits corner of this discussion which has interested me the least and to which I have put little thought, so what I'm about to say could be swiss-cheese stupid. Your question is a good one.

My focus goes immediately to children. I think it not merely a moral matter but also a practical matter that we, in community, encourage conditions where children are provided maximal opportunity to flourish. Thus I would design or support benefit arrangements that could be shown to enhance those opportunities, or very probably do so.

So, a heterosexual couple married and without children would gain no special consideration from me whereas an unmarried homosexual couple (or single parent, etc) raising children (adopted or not) would.

Clearly, this leads us into other possible 'non-traditional' arrangements such as the communal upbringing of children as seen in the early Israeli kibbutz system or as in other cultural heritages.

Quote:
If our disagreement was about the 'science' which the Family Research Counsel uses to 'back up' that homosexuality is destructive, I would stop disagreeing at this point. We agree it's mostly junk. But science isn't really what this is about. Values are. On the pro-gay-marriage side, people are taking a moral position on gay people's freedom of contract. On the anti-gay-marriage side, people are taking a moral position against homosexuality. And science is of extremely limited use for evaluating moral positions. To take the most drastic example I can think of, I know no scientific argument why it's wrong to rape babies for fun -- I just know that it is. This doesn't tell us that it is right, and I am wrong, only that science has little to say about morality. Indeed, if it somehow became the scientific consensus that it is indeed right, my reaction would be: "To hell with the scientific consensus". This is how the anti-gay activists in your Salon article are reacting to homosexuality. I disagree with their position, but their lack of scientific backup has nothing to do with my disagreement.

You've misunderstood my argument here. I'm not making the claim that science can help us much in establishing answers to moral questions. Rather, I'm arguing that in precisely the same manner that we can go very wrong through using scripture or religious authority or political authority or tradition in establishing what is ontologically true or reasonable (eg, the age of the earth), so we can also go very wrong through using those same sources as definitive on moral matters (eg, it's proper for whites to be placed superior to coloreds, homosexuality is immoral). We don't have to make the case that moral 'truths' exist objectively in the manner of truths about the physical universe for us to establish that certain ways of propogating or promulgating them are liable to some of our worst tendencies, ie, demands to conform to a singular vision of reality or 'right/wrong'.
0 Replies

Wiyaka

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 11:53 am
[/QUOTE]In the first place the "rights" we are speaking of are those fouund Wyiaka's earlier post, mostly relating to Vetran's Administration disability benefits and other legal matters which are readily solved by the issuance of a general power of attorney.
Quote:

You had better check on these statements. In my 35 years of dealing with the VA on behalf of others and myself, a general power of attorney is only recognized when an individual is incapable of making his/her own decisions.

The benefits in question are VA disability payments which also contain a generally reduced payment for the surviving spouse and any dependent children of the disabled vetran. They were enacted in keeping with the phrase Lincoln used in his second inaugrial address "to bind the nations wounds, ... to care for the wounded soldier, and his widow and orphan...". The people have the right, to act through their government to do these things. No one has an inalienable right to VA benefits.
Quote:

I agree with this. They are earned through military service which caused the disabilies.

Quote:
He/she must be a veteran and also be disabled as a result of service. The amount of the disability and the associated payment are determined by the government and can be changed at any time. These benefits are not transferable - vetrans cannot grant them to brothers, cosins, friends, or homosexual partners.

Changing the percentage of disability is not done easily. It takes a review by VA staff of all information regarding the veteran's disability. Surprisingly, medical and other experts not within the Veterans Administration are given more creedence than those within it. Perhaps this says something about the VA.

You obviously are unaware that spouses and dependents of totally disabled veterans are accorded the same benefits as the veteran. This is where you show your ignorance., meaning lack of knowledgeg and/or understanding of something. I did mention the word dependents in my previous post. Please read closer or quote me, to be absolutely sure of what was said. I'll be happy to refer you to any veteran service officer for the information on dependent benefits.

The reason these things were mentioned in my previous posting was to make sure you and others understand how our government discriminates against those of us that have same sex partners and what we lose as opposed to those that can legally marry under the present laws. The federal government does not recognise same sex marriages, eliminating people in same sex relationships or marriages from recieving these benefits.

Distinctions such as these are an inescapable part of life. There will always be difficult marginal cases on both sides of any line that must be drawn.[/quote]

This is strictly opinion and should be stated as such. All I can say is, in my opinion a person is either part of the problem or part of the solution.

BTW, if procreation is the sole or primary reason for recognizing a marriage and allowing them benefits, I now ask you several questions about hetrosexual marriages.
1) Should those that are medically incapable of having children be allowed to marry and recieve benefits?
2) Should couples that are beyond the age of having children be able to marry and recieve benifits?
3)Should the spouse of an individual in a prolonged coma recieve benefits?
4)Should lower limb paraplegics and quadraplegics be allowed to marrry and recieve benefits?
I'm really curious to see your responses to these and the arguments you provide.

I read in another one of your posts on this topic (post;1280652, dated Wed. Apr 13 8:03PM)where you stated [/QUOTE]These benefits were in general created to meet our social responsiblitie to those who bear and raise the children who will finance the social security and VA benefits their parents (and others) will recieve. That is the fundamental distinction here, and the people, acting through their government have the right to make this distinction.
Quote:

Can you provide sources for this statement or is it your opinion? If opinion, please state it as such. In my opinion, This is a lot of hogwash and smokescreen. However, Since my discharge from service in 1970, I've worked and paid taxes for 29 years. During that time, I fathered and helped raise three children and now have grandchildren. Using the above criteria, I should be allowed to now marry the person of my choice: male, female or intersex (hermaphrodite, to those unfamilliar with the phrase), after all I've done these things and more.

My question to you is quite simple. Are you worried that by recognizing same sex marriages as legal, you or other business people will have to pay additional benefits that you don't have to pay now?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 12:12 pm
There are documented facts surrounding the enactment of the Vetran;'s benefits legislation that make quite clear what was the intent of Congress. I decribed it accurately.

That the people of this copuntry and their government are able under the law to make distinctions among people is abundantly clear in the many laws that make such distinctions.

With respect to your final question, the answer is yes.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 12:29 pm
I think that all this is anti gay/marriage stuff is wearing thin already after all the hu ha of of it being in the election. In my opinion it is now only a matter of time before people see this for what it is, denying people rights based on moral/relgious beliefs.

Quote:
HARTFORD, Conn., April 13 -- Connecticut's House of Representatives passed legislation Wednesday that would make the state the second to establish civil unions for same-sex couples, and the first to do so without being directed by a court.

The state Senate overwhelmingly approved a civil-unions bill last week, and lawmakers said they expect to endorse the House version as early as next week. Gov. M. Jodi Rell (R) said Wednesday that she will sign it.

The House also passed an amendment -- favored by Rell and designed to make the bill more palatable to more conservative members -- that defines marriage as a union of one man and one woman.

"It's an unbelievable victory," said Rep. Michael P. Lawlor (D), one of the bill's main supporters. "The idea that both houses endorsed this concept of civil unions is an incredible step."

Connecticut's push toward civil unions cuts against a national backlash that has followed the legalization of such relationships in Vermont in 2000 and of same-sex marriage in Massachusetts last year. Unlike Connecticut, court rulings prompted the changes in those states.

source
0 Replies

Wiyaka

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 01:03 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
There are documented facts surrounding the enactment of the Vetran;'s benefits legislation that make quite clear what was the intent of Congress. I decribed it accurately.
Quote:

The government's intentions are not in question. What is questioned are you misleading statements regarding who is or is not allowed to recieved benefits. For the third time, I will state that I had mentioned dependents, not "cosins" or the others. It's because the government does not recognise same sex marriages that my partner and others are denied these benefits. These same arguments were made for segration, keeping women from voting, killing Native Americans for their lands, child labor and a myriad of other "just" causes.

That the people of this copuntry and their government are able under the law to make distinctions among people is abundantly clear in the many laws that make such distinctions.
Quote:

I understand this and it has been made distinctly and abundantly clear by your previous postings. However, does does this make discrimination right?

With respect to your final question, the answer is yes.
Quote:

I appreciate the honesty. Bottom line is more important to some than treating all people equally? Well, each to their own.

You haven't responded to the other questions though, is there a reason?
0 Replies

Sam1951

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 02:57 pm
Chiczaira,

One small problem with Posner's statement... true homosexuals prefer relations with other men, not women. IMO adults who prefer sexual relations with children have a dominance issue.
In order to give consent one must be legally an adult, usually over eighteen years of age.
The whole bestiality thing has nothing to do with same sex marriage, nice red herring.
0 Replies

Sam1951

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 03:24 pm
revel,

The same sex marriage issue is wearing thin, heck it's transparent. The real issues here are MONEY and power, not morals.
The sad aspect of legislating against same sex marriage is: who will be next on the hit parade? As history proves when one group falls to the hands of bigotry, hatred and greed more will follow.
We as a Nation had made great strides toward becoming "The Home of The Free". Now I wonder...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 04:29 pm
Sam! Hey, welcome back to you, too.
0 Replies

Sam1951

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 04:38 pm
roger,

Good to be back.

What a wonderful place to vent.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 04:41 pm
Sam, I've missed hearing your voice here.

<and roger, where's your rat?>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back to the regularly scheduled programming.
0 Replies

Sam1951

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 05:07 pm
ehBeth.

How's the world treating you? Wiyaka and I are back after along and stressful Winter. Our dog Yamni lost his fight against blasto mycosis Dec, 16, 2004. While caring for him and after he passed on we really did not feel like doing much. Now that Spring is here things are getting better.

Sam Very Happy
0 Replies

chiczaira

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 01:44 am
Sam 1951- I don't think you read Posner correctly. He said: "we should expect opportunistic homosexuality tobe greater, all other things being equal, in an polygamous than in a monogamous society and to take the form primarily of pederasty, that is, a sexual relationship between a man and a boy. Perversion, according to Posner is what we would have if we had a society in which, as Blatham said. any consensual relationship was to be allowed by the general society.

Posner pointed out that extraordinary conditions, like the establishment of polygamy, all things being equal, would most probably lead to pederasty. The lack of heterosexual relationships in prisons are a good example. The men may not be primarily homosexual but the conditions in the prison and the lack of the presence of the opposite sex lead men who are not normally homosexual to the performance of homosexual acts.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 04:41 am
Polygamy leads to pederasty. That is absurd.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 04:47 am
chickzaira wrote:
Sam 1951- I don't think you read Posner correctly. He said: "we should expect opportunistic homosexuality tobe greater, all other things being equal, in an polygamous than in a monogamous society and to take the form primarily of pederasty, that is, a sexual relationship between a man and a boy.

It strikes me that "other things being equal" is a pretty big qualifier. It also strikes me that Posner's prediction can be tested empirically. Was there more pederastery in Utah before statehood than after? Is there more pederastery among Arabs in Arabia, where polygamy is permitted, than in America, where it is not? If Posner does not provide empirical evidence of this kind and relies exclusively on theorizing, I would interpret this as him lacking confidence in his own theory.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 04:48 am
I just read Posner. The guy sounds like what you sexually unaware people would call a pervert.

I know for a fact that there are legions of men, probably the vast majority if not all virtually all, that are into some kind of kink or another, what Posner calls perversion. Posner is definitely one of them.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 04:51 am
Chrissee wrote:
I just read Posner. The guy sounds like what you sexually unaware people would call a pervert.

I know for a fact that there are legions of men, probably the vast majority if not all virtually all, that are into some kind of kink or another, what Posner calls perversion. Posner is definitely one of them.

Can you cite what you read, and explain how you reached your conclusion from there?
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 05:05 am
The guy thinks absence of available women is going to lead to men seeking boys as surrogate women, in effect. Sounds like projection to me. The guy is a perv.
0 Replies

Sam1951

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 11:43 pm
One of the reasons many people find pederasty revolting is that they judge others by their own standards. Yes? Therefore, some one who believes that a shortage of women would lead to pederasty is likely to be so inclined themself. Projection sounds like a good term for this situation.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 10:00 am
If it is projection (and if they are then so inclined) where is the fault? Do you claim that such things are themselves perversion?

Could it not also be merely a rational forecast of the behavior of some people based on the observation of human nature and behavior? On what basis do you exclude that possibility?
0 Replies