Falwell: Godless Gays Caused 9/11

Harper

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 07:06 am
Well, I am paraphrasing, of course, but I just heard a quote on Air America radio in which he blames Gays, Feminists, Secularists and even the People for an American Way for contributing to the attack on America, he said this in a conversation to Pat Robertson. This is getting scary, folks. I will see if I can find the quote.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,115 • Replies: 28
No top replies

Harper

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 07:12 am
All I find are the old quotes but, in essence, he just re-iterated his remarks of 9/13/2004.

How long will it take for the reasonable people of America to stand up and discredit these nutcases?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 07:24 am
We can't discredit these nut cases without being called on for being condescending to the 'heartland of America'. They have it wrapped up pretty tight.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 08:05 am
I would love to see all of these expressions of bigotry disappear; but they would only be replaced by others. It was not too long ago that Jews were being blamed for all of the nations' woes. They still are in the eyes of some. Finding scapegoats does make life easier.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 08:06 am
Harper wrote:
All I find are the old quotes but, in essence, he just re-iterated his remarks of 9/13/2004.

How long will it take for the reasonable people of America to stand up and discredit these nutcases?

A better approach might be to make them out to be representative of the right. Then either the Democrats would win the next election, or the professionals would discredit them for us.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 08:14 am
Not surprising that Christian Evangelicals, who believe in a personal god who intervenes in human affairs, would conclude that god has a hand in punishing mankind when they engage in practices he forebade.

Calling people of faith "nutcases" and then wondering why they do not vote for your political party is the height of nuttiness. Cool
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 08:20 am
Okay Larry, I grew up in Lynchburg, hung out and did acid and smoked dope with some Falwell kids, my grandfather worked for the Falwells in his retirement I know the Falwells...they are hoodlums and nutcases in my opinion, and my opinion is based on personal experience with and personal knowledge of them.
Bootleggers who got into the religion business to make money.I could be wrong but I do have personal knowledge of them, as do many of Lynchburgs citizens, the automatons who attend his church notwithstanding......again all my opinion.

A quote from one of Jerry's nephews ( we were stoned at the time I'll allow that)

"The family story is that Jerry came home one day, slammed a bible down on the coffee table and said I'm goingn to make more money with this bible than the rest of you put together." And believe me the Falwell family has made PLENTY of money........
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 08:36 am
Larry434 wrote:
Not surprising that Christian Evangelicals, who believe in a personal god who intervenes in human affairs, would conclude that god has a hand in punishing mankind when they engage in practices he forebade.

Which Old Testament Laws Apply to Christians Today?

Some quotes from the opening statement:

Quote:
When Christians read the Old Testament, they are often puzzled. They find many laws that seem to be part of Christianity, and yet they also find many laws that no one obeys. Laws of sacrifice, rituals and civil laws are all mixed in together with laws that tell people how to get along with others.

Quote:
...although Christians should obey God, our salvation is received on the basis of faith, not on the basis of our obedience.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 08:43 am
MerlinsGodson wrote:
Larry434 wrote:

Which Old Testament Laws Apply to Christians Today?

The Ten Commandments. Didn't Jesus say keep the commandments?

Some quotes from the opening statement:

Quote:
When Christians read the Old Testament, they are often puzzled. They find many laws that seem to be part of Christianity, and yet they also find many laws that no one obeys. Laws of sacrifice, rituals and civil laws are all mixed in together with laws that tell people how to get along with others.

Quote:
...although Christians should obey God, our salvation is received on the basis of faith, not on the basis of our obedience.

That is still being debated in the Christian church, salvation thru grace versus works.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 08:55 am
Harper, this is undeniably horrifying but also very, very old news. This forum wasn't in existence when Falwell said that, but there was plenty of discussion and expressions of dismay on another forum a lot of us belonged to at the time. And there were puh-lenty of articles about it.

Do you mean reiterated his remarks of 9/13/01?

And I'm not really clear if it was a reiteration of what he said then -- he said the same thing, different words, again now -- or if a tape was played of what he said then...?

(If he said it again he is even stupider than I realized, as he caught mongo flack for it back then.)
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 11:30 am
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 02:40 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Okay Larry, I grew up in Lynchburg, hung out and did acid and smoked dope with some Falwell kids, ....A quote from one of Jerry's nephews ( we were stoned at the time I'll allow that)

hahahahaha... i always thought it was funny when i was in school that the "p.k.'s" always had the best weed. god does indeed work in mysterious ways.
0 Replies

Laeknir Scrat

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 02:51 pm
...only they don't call it weed or dope, but manna.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 03:02 pm
Filled with shame at knocking up his girlfriend, the Liberty University student took her hand, looked her in the eyes and asked: "Marriage...you wanna?"
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 03:04 pm
This is old news.

How is it scary?

Considering that his 2001 comments had no measurable impact on American life, it's hard to imagine how repeating them in 2004 might.

Last time I checked, Falwell didn't hold a position of authority in the government, nor has he ever been described as a personal advisor to the president.

There are people on both extreme ends of the spectrum saying foolish things all of the time.

Look to reality and not trumped up ideological nightmares.

I thought it was the Democrats who ran a campaign of hope, and not fear.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 03:18 pm
Quote:
How is it scary?

It's scary that someone would even think such things...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 03:56 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:
How is it scary?

It's scary that someone would even think such things...

Cycloptichorn

Get a grip Cyclo. People think far scarier things every minute. How does it affect your life?
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 10:27 pm
sozobe wrote:
Harper, this is undeniably horrifying but also very, very old news. This forum wasn't in existence when Falwell said that, but there was plenty of discussion and expressions of dismay on another forum a lot of us belonged to at the time. And there were puh-lenty of articles about it.

Do you mean reiterated his remarks of 9/13/01?

And I'm not really clear if it was a reiteration of what he said then -- he said the same thing, different words, again now -- or if a tape was played of what he said then...?

(If he said it again he is even stupider than I realized, as he caught mongo flack for it back then.)

The fact is that even though he was blasted for those insane remarks, he now feels empowered to make the case again.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 10:35 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
This is old news.

How is it scary?

Considering that his 2001 comments had no measurable impact on American life, it's hard to imagine how repeating them in 2004 might.

Last time I checked, Falwell didn't hold a position of authority in the government, nor has he ever been described as a personal advisor to the president.

There are people on both extreme ends of the spectrum saying foolish things all of the time.
/i][/b].

Nonsense, no one on the left as wacked out as Falwell is given any voice in the mainstream media much less given the exposure that Falwell gets.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 05:51 pm
Harper wrote:
Nonsense, no one on the left as wacked out as Falwell is given any voice in the mainstream media much less given the exposure that Falwell gets.

Michael Moore!

You really shouldn't equate Falwell and the rest of the people who follow the Christian faith. He is indeed a nut job and the media shouldn't give him the face time on TV. My wife who is an Evangelical Christian doesn't like Falwell or Benny Hinn. She thinks they are both working for the darker side.
0 Replies