Happy 229th Birthday USMC

Diane

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 10:36 pm
HofT, your gold braid-to-the-elbow guy sounds like a characterture of a "Mine's bigger than yours" kind of guy.

I would love to read your memoirs some day.

Timber, the regulars at Lola's Cafe are sleepily collected around the fire. Come join us and I'll make sure there is an endless supply of Leinenkugel's Creamy Dark.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 12:24 pm
Thanks to Vietnam veteran David Prendergast, U.S. Marines who served in the Vietnam War can now access their records online. For years, Prendergast, a local attorney, has volunteered his spare time helping Vietnam veterans access their records so that they can establish their disability eligibility.

The Vietnam Files
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 12:49 pm
HofT wrote:
Tiny little detail here - the Carl Vinson's electronic support systems (except weapons) were designed by a team I was in charge of. Went to explain the lot to a gold-braid-to-the-elbow guy who, profoundly unimpressed, interrupted me with: "You realize of course the Carl Vinson only has TWO nuclear reactors whereas I was commander of the Enterprise which has FOUR!" Great thread, Timber - all that remains for the rest of us here to do is buy you a couple of drinks at Lola's Cafe!

That was my good friend Rocky Spane, then Captain of Enterprise. We were usually berthed on opposite sides of Pier Three at Alameda. Rocky and I had crossed paths many times in our aviation tours and had long been very friendly, but intense (but not seriously so) rivals. Perhaps you mistook the friendly irony that usually accompanied our banter. (He is really a good guy.) Actually Enterprise has eight reactors - however both Enterprise and Carl Vinson had about the same propulsive power. (We raced once - off the Coronados islands West of Baja - but that is another story.)
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 12:51 pm
Diane wrote:
HofT, your gold braid-to-the-elbow guy sounds like a characterture of a "Mine's bigger than yours" kind of guy.

Actually mine is bigger.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 01:02 pm
georgeob1 wrote:

Actually mine is bigger.

Which actually is the premier condition for the engagement of Naval Air Force personnel :wink:
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 01:12 pm
G OB - wrong man, the one I was meeting was CNO. If HE has no clue, head for the exit <G>
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 01:39 pm
HofT wrote:
G OB - wrong man, the one I was meeting was CNO. If HE has no clue, head for the exit <G>

If it was the CNO then it was either Jim Watkins or Carl Trost, both of whom know quite well just how many reactors are installed in Enterprise.

Mine is still bigger, and Carl Vinson won the race off Baja California,

Walter, once again your analysis is correct.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 01:46 pm
georgeob1 wrote:

Walter, once again your analysis is correct.

[Don't tell anyone here, why I was commanded only to minesweepers and landing crafts!!!]
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 01:58 pm
Walter, actually we thought more of the minesweeper guys than the sissies on the cruisers.

The real bond among aviators in a squadron was that everyone had seen everyone else, as we would say "scared shitless, out of airspeed, altitude, and ideas." The masks were all off.

The bullshit was just for fun.

But mine is still bigger.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 02:25 pm
georgeob1 wrote:

But mine is still bigger.

Hmmh, talking about facts:
as we said: "Few [like us] have it inside their head, the Naval Air Force .... have it in "their bigger" ".
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 11:49 am
G OB - this is Timber's anniversary thread for the USMC, so you wanna fight, I'll meet you at Lola's Salon to arrange (1) rules of engagement to apply in fight and (2) your terms of surrender pursuant to said fight (might as well plan ahead).

State a date and time, I'll be there - you're wrong, btw, on both CNO name AND reactor numbers. As to your anatomy I neither know nor care - unless you can show cause why I should <G>
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 12:12 pm
Ahhhh, hell! What's a Jarhead party without a brawl? Square off and go for it. I'll keep an eye out for the SPs. Laughing

Oh, Rules of Engagement: Any furniture or bottles you bust up, you buy outta your own pockets, but we'll cover bail if ya need it - you pay us back, of course.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 01:01 pm
Oh, BTW - Flashback Alert
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 12:21 am
HofT wrote:
G OB - this is Timber's anniversary thread for the USMC, so you wanna fight, I'll meet you at Lola's Salon to arrange (1) rules of engagement to apply in fight and (2) your terms of surrender pursuant to said fight (might as well plan ahead).

State a date and time, I'll be there - you're wrong, btw, on both CNO name AND reactor numbers. As to your anatomy I neither know nor care - unless you can show cause why I should <G>

Damn !

Well, as my little brother the lawyer says, "to get a voir dire, you gotta show cause".

ROE -- Marquis of Queensury Rules, -- no surrender.

{{{Gotta think about this one though. She's smart. Knows some stuff too. However, foolishly confident on the reactors in Enterprise bit -- plenty of clues there for her to back off or qualify -- missed them all. Still I have elsewhere seen in her flashes of stuff I don't know. Could be tough. What the hell ! Just a girl. Play to her feminine pride and complacency. Sooner or later she'll screw up, and I've got her. }}}

OK babe, 12:00 Noon EST, Sunday Nov 28, Lola's Cafe.

(I'm off tomorrow for the delights oif Chicago & environs, may not take the machine. - If I do I'll appear sooner,here & at Lola's - to give you some satisfaction.)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 12:24 am
Can't wait until this will happen! (Away, to get some DIN and ISO norms.)
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 09:03 am
Tks, Timber, for the hospitality - appreciate it esp. since Lola wants no part of a brawl in her Cafe. Maybe G OB's little brother can explain "change of venue due to force majeure" to him.

Do we have a referee? I'll be in NY over the weekend and can't very well be expected to blast all of Chicago and environs just to vaporize G OB. The "no surrender" clause suits me just fine otherwise <G>
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 10:50 am
Btw - there's an announcement by Craven (ante-dating G OB's post for proposed date-time) that the A2K site will be shut down for maintenance over most of next weekend.

What next?!
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 01:17 pm
I'm off to Washington National for the long weekend. Helen, you will be safe in Manhattan this weekend. Chicago is grateful for your restraint. I'm ready.

I have the impression you are from the San Diego area. Have we met?

Timber, are you hosting the venue.? OK & thanks. Lola's place may still work - it won't take long. No side deals ole pal - I suspect this lady.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 01:44 pm
Here or there is fine with me. But if it's not going to be at my place....darn, I was gonna sell tickets! Oh well.......

The cafe, backyard and tree house are "no fighting, no politics territory" but Wassau does have a back room library where cigars are chain smoked and political discussions (fights or otherwise) take place. Wassau will serve drinks.
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 09:44 am
CRASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How dimwitted can G OB BE and STILL be able to post IDIOTIC LINKS?????

Any IDIOT can count reactor vessels in a power plant for Crissakes but anyone with ANY CONCEPT of SYSTEMS will look for number of WELLS (aka shafts) because that's what matters as far as REDUNDANCY.

And I hardly need add the Enterprise has FOUR of those.

Um.... Timber.... sorry 'bout all the glassware... Smile
0 Replies