My documentaries, the documentaries that I recommend

Leadfoot

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2022 10:14 am
@Albuquerque,
Quote:
Back when the nights were long, dark, with roads poorly lighted and badly paved, and the travels were dangerous, tangible, real, and unpredictable, as entering in a car across country was a real Dakar adventure!

Hey! You’re talking about my neighborhood today.
Getting to the closest paved road in my Bimmer is indeed a Dakar adventure.

Dang these internet walls, can’t get the vid.
0 Replies

htam9876

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2022 09:03 am
Piggy often ride a bike to Shunde city, bump bump bump, trilling adventure...
 https://physicshelpforum.com/data/attachments/2/2450-cb6521f8e4afbe5d165f41f149aca1c2.jpg
0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2022 11:48 am
0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2022 07:51 pm
0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2022 11:14 pm
"Don't look up" is a must see and I dare to say Woody Allen wouldn't do it better! Little pearls all over every ten seconds surmises this masterpiece to remember the first quarter of the new millennia later on...an instant classic!
Albuquerque

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2022 05:51 pm
"Ultimism" explained short:
0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2022 04:26 pm
A slow deep kafkian beautiful movie that reveals itself in mysterious ways...

0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2022 06:37 pm
Someone just showed me this, I am still laughing my azz off!

izzythepush

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2022 03:48 am
@Albuquerque,
South Park has got 24 series and counting. There's lots of stuff like that.
Albuquerque

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2022 03:49 am
@izzythepush,
...yeah South Park is top notch!
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2022 04:27 am
@Albuquerque,
I wasn't that impressed. It was a very blunt instrument, I just found it depressing.

Satire should be subtle, like Swift's A Modest Proposal where you find your self agreeing with the article and have to step back because it's about cannibalism.

There weren't any surprises in Don't Look Up, the only really impressive piece of acting was when Leonardo de Caprio played someone attracted to a woman under 25 years of age.

For that he deserved an Oscar.
Albuquerque

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2022 05:16 am
@izzythepush,
Well I liked "Don't look up" not because of the acting or the mainline story but because of the script that left no one intact including the scientists. The direction was also good.

As for bluntness in South Park I don't mind its bleakness it has its space in satire. While I also prefer subtlety the idea that any other form of humour or satire is minor if it lacks subtlety is a bit of a cliché as much as saying that all pop music is bad by definition...any way as a Brit I see where you are coming from.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2022 05:26 am
@Albuquerque,
After the first ten minutes it was clear where the film was going to go, there were no surprises at all. It could have been written by a bunch of secondary school kids.

Compare it with something like Bob Roberts, that is true satire, subtle, disturbing and ultimately quite terrifying.

That is satire.
Albuquerque

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2022 06:08 am
@izzythepush,
The film didn't intend to surprise anyone in the main story ark its the small kafkian situations that make it special...but alas to each his own.

If you didn't found it terrifying that nobody is at the helm including the most informed people in the world or the bankrupt XIX century model of our Lawful States I seriously don't know what else could scare you.

I say Don't look up is a blunt XXI contemporary version of Les Miserables that is served dry without drama as it spares no one and that ultimately crushes all hope of Humankind rising above its inane incapacity to have any control over its bestiality.

The director makes no concessions to any group either the idiots or the lesser idiots and there is no winning tribe left in the end.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2022 06:13 am
@Albuquerque,
It was too crude to be scary. Meryl Streep did a hackneyed impression of Donald Trump that wasn't even good enough for the execrable SNL.

It was clearly about Covid and about as subtle as a brick round the backs the head.

Viz parodies are better, and they don't try to be clever.
Albuquerque

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2022 06:21 am
@izzythepush,
Agreed and you are still missing the point...
It was never meant to be subtle quite the opposite.
The film aims at the masses but the second and third audience can be charmed in the details in the body language on the continuous relentless absurdism of the dialogues in every situation, that never lets you catch your breath start to finish.

If you wanted finesse on this topic you are looking at the wrong place.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2022 06:27 am
@Albuquerque,
I didn't miss the point. The point was a ******* sledgehammer.

You just can't accept that it's possible for someone to completely understand the film and still think it's a load of old bollocks.

The relentless absurdism was predictable, far from making me catch my breath I could see it coming a mile off and was even duller than I expected.
Albuquerque

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2022 06:35 am
@izzythepush,
I seriously doubt you and I saw the same movie although we both attended.

There is no point on keeping up disputing the merits or lack there off as you Brits use to say and I concur there is no account for taste.

The idea that this film had to be surprising convoluted or twisted is ludicrous.
Albuquerque

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2022 07:30 am

My comment to your source:

I would agree if the film was intended as a convoluted surprising ineffable critique which was not. Don't look up is a blunt dry direct hammer targeted at mass audiences with an explicit target market but the direction doesn't spare anyone including the scientists and pseudo intellectuals that supposedly direct mankind at its technological peak...the satire in the movie is not in the main story arch but on the kafkian monologues that each character endures in their own cognitive bubble while the unstoppable tragedy of attempt and fail at communication unfolds as the real asteroid that ends up destroying culture and civilization springs from within.
Albuquerque

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2022 08:06 am
@Albuquerque,
If anything this film penalizes more the blue audience then it penalizes the zombie red mob.

Its the failure of the top progressive minds to reach control and actual position of power that lets the technological dystopia destroy the world, with or without an asteroid.

The irony in the fated asteroid is that a single data point failed to resonate in collective action as communication cacophony, limelight and tribalism are endemic to both parties at play. Again the dumb and the less dumb bring Don't look up, as the untainted undramatic contemporary XXI spiel of Les Miserables without the need for a Victor Hugo.

PS - It wasn't by coincidence that I started by posting the reaction to this movie by Astrophysicist Neil de Grasse Tyson who totally fails to see he was the most targeted element of the entire movie.
0 Replies