My documentaries, the documentaries that I recommend

Albuquerque

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2022 10:39 am

One simple remark: Can we say for sure the idea of a mermaid is impossible to realize forever? I am not so sure about that as one could think about messing with DNA more deeply then we do now we just aren't very good at it yet...
If the answer is to top it up with something more bizarre like a smiling Conscious Star my answer would be it depends on the level of a Civilization and its cosmic process antiquity!
So no, I am not sure upping up the stakes sorts that one either...
On the question "What is Real" most of us are asking what is real "now"...now doesn't make much sense as it is a phenomenal construct to.
I rather go with what is real in what domain of operations...superman is real in comic book stories and in movies...I think no one would question that either, and while I am at it I am also certain caveman would consider modern man superman...so the tricky bit here is tacking the topic into domains rather then absence!
In fact the whole topic is very tribalistic at its heart as when we ask what is real we normally also mean to say what is "more real" and if the "more real" is on my tribe rather then yours...
0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2022 10:23 am
No indeed "it is not the America that we knew years ago..."

0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2022 12:29 pm
it starts bad with the usual compatiblist "free wont" but it gets better in the middle...

0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2022 02:58 pm
Cooling fabrics:
0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2022 03:28 pm
Politicheese USexit...
0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2022 02:41 pm
Chickens!
0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2022 07:07 pm
0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2022 04:05 am
0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2022 10:18 am
An empiricist that doesn't agree with rationalists but that likes to read them...I like people with nuance!

0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2022 03:25 pm
Some trivia for today from Quora Digest:

Quote:
Why do non Portuguese people call Oporto to the city that Portuguese people call Porto?

‘Porto’ means ‘Port’. The real name of the city was ‘Cale’, and was a very important portuary city in Roman times, so: Port of Cale (in Latin: Portus Cale). That’s why the country became known as Portuscale/Portucale/Portugal.

Now, ‘port’ is a proper noun so you never say just ‘port’, you say ‘the port’. In Portuguese: ‘O Porto’. So, when Portuguese people refer to the city, they say ‘The Port’/’O Porto’, and non-Portuguese speakers repeat the name fonetically: ‘Oporto’.

But Portuguese speakers know best.

0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2022 07:06 pm
0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2022 04:53 am
0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2022 08:30 pm
0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2022 09:59 pm

Filipe Albuquerque

I hate half truths...they are dangerous...if anything the State is no longer...Oligarchs rule the world by tacit agreements and not free competition, they are untaxable and for that reason we have lost the middle class, proper education, and social peace...If for one it is true the rule of Law has been inverted all over the world, as the best lawyers work against the law and for holes in the law and ways to circumvent the law, they do so because they are slaves to the oligarchy...a naive export of Reagan and Thatcher that really believed government is not needed in the world...but if we take a deep look into what a company is it is a mini "government", a tribe, with its on absolutist rulers that impose an endless list of rules that prejudice innovation and TAX peoples lives more then any conversional government ever can. That is how they make their profits, by taxing their employees taking their time, their lives, their basic liberties, their future, the education of their kids...

Half truths and playing with words from PHD's that don't have the vaguest deep grasp on what is really going on.
The worst part is that they believe themselves which is intellectual mediocrity at its best.
If our best don't do better then this, we are indeed not that far ahead of chimps...sad to watch, sad to witness, sad to be part of such a failed species!
Filipe Albuquerque

I can see the arguments on the other side, mostly based on a fundamental Ontological flaw, eternal growth, denying the basic axioms for a sustainable economy..."growth brings jobs and innovation, and competition to stay afloat, prevents the implementation of fair salaries..." "How am I going to pay higher salaries and hope to stay in business with the Chinese bots?"

...yeah I can see the typical arguments that are based on Infinite growth, miss evaluation of natural finite resources, and that make miracles at the expense of borrowing from a stable future.

Marketing is a new word for deception, lies, manipulation, and a cleaner more sophisticated form of enslavement...disinformation instead of clarification!

If you can ever go GLOBAL on actually global problems get together and end up off shores everywhere, tax the rich in a moderate amount EQUALLY everywhere so they are at the same level ground of competition and then and only then claim to live in a Capitalist society. Not much taxing is needed since productivity has grown 40x times in the past two decades...the salaries mean while were split between husband and wife instead of keeping up with exponential technological explosion of productivity.

As I said half truths are dangerous...
Filipe Albuquerque

Filipe Albuquerque
I am not being an hypocrite leftists nor a naive idealist...in short the message is, don't kill the golden goose before their put eggs, and for that they need to eat and be happy in their small comfort zone. Who killed the middle class, the State puppets ruled by huge tech companies that finance politics??? Is that the narrative? Nop, and eventually people will get it and do a French jacobin sad revolution at a planetary scale to explain you in their own terms why it is a nop not viable!
Filipe Albuquerque

0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 04:05 am

I have a different take on the novel. I don't see in Les Miserables social progress but rather a loop of the social dance in which each character is fated in his human condition to try and fail to escape misery either by utopian evasion or by strict order.
Aside the obvious miserables the book extends itself to the non obvious miserables and in my take of the masterpiece Javert is the black mirror of Jean Valjeant. The death of Javert redeems him for being self consistent in is failure to grasp nuance, and the escapist utopia of Jean Valjent condemns him to another kind of misery, hope!
0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2022 08:54 pm
0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 01:27 am
0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 11:27 pm
Back when the nights were long, dark, with roads poorly lighted and badly paved, and the travels were dangerous, tangible, real, and unpredictable, as entering in a car across country was a real Dakar adventure!
The Greek Whine is the music of wanderers travellers and immigrants lost in time as the closest version we have today is a 4K monitor and central heating systems in our homes while gaming in our PC rigs...the wine is still real tho!
To memories of a long lost time!
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2022 12:26 am
@Albuquerque,
Video not available in this country.
Albuquerque

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2022 03:58 am
@edgarblythe,
In English:

Quote:
Greek Wine

It was already dark when I walked home through the streets of the suburb.
There was a pub where there was still light pouring out onto the boardwalk.
I had time and I was cold, so I stepped inside.

Men with brown eyes and black hair were sitting there
And the music coming out of the jukebox was strange and exotic1.
When they saw me one of them got up and invited me.

Greek wine is like the blood of the earth,
Come, pour yourself a glass.
And when I get sad, then it is because
I always dream of home,
You've got to excuse me.

Greek wine and the songs known of old,
Pour another one
Because I feel the yearning for home again, in this city
I will forever be a stranger and alone.

And then they told me about green hills, the sea and the wind.
About old houses and young women who are on their own.
And about the child that has never seen its father.

They kept telling themselves, one day we'll go back
And the money saved up will be enough for a small fortune at home.
And soon nobody will think about it anymore, how it has been over here.

Greek wine is like the blood of the earth,
Come, pour yourself a glass.
And when I get sad, then it is because
I always dream of home,
You've got to excuse me.

Greek wine and the songs known of old,
Pour another one
Because I feel the yearning for home again, in this city
I will forever be a stranger and alone.

Hopefully one of these will be available the music is exactly the same but the presentation in a German concert with Orchestra had much more nuance...

English

Portuguese

0 Replies