My documentaries, the documentaries that I recommend

Albuquerque

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2021 07:55 am
@farmerman,
So you reiterate that training Logic and questioning assumed concepts is of no use to more productivity in Science? I'm younger but I have seen my fair share of dumb as a brick scientists to think that any Science has everything to gain with Philosophy and nothing to lose. How pragmatic is that eh?
Don't worry my point was never to have some wacko mumbo jumbo philosophers poking on fields they barely understand. The point was and is that scientists need training in general Logic to avoid common sense traps. To much of that going on right now. When you dismiss the use of Philosophy you seemed preoccupied with who has the right to piss on your tree, while I don't give a **** about Alphas...I just care with proper Reason. Finally Leadfoot has a point, I have never seen you make an effort to challenge common assumptions. I believe it gives you an headache of sorts to go on questioning everything...yes you are a pragmatic man Farma and that's your sin and virtue at the same time.
farmerman

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2021 09:09 am
@Albuquerque,
Quote:
The point was and is that scientists need training in general Logic to avoid common sense traps. To much of that going on right now. When you dismiss the use of Philosophy you seemed preoccupied with who has the right to piss on your tree,

Roger Kneebones books agree with your first part, and who am I to disagree. I let anyone "piss" on my tree as long as they give me a urea ppm analyses. I like my trees and dont want em flooded with ammonium nitrate solution if I grow em for fruit.

Common sense drawn from relevant experience is all I need. Degrees dont men much. MY best hired drilling company staff are presided over by a CEO who was a bakery manager and a Lutheran Minister in hi early careers.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2021 09:15 am
@Albuquerque,
Both you guys have missed the point that we are LIVING a new age that was developed by challenging the Orthoodoxy of the day. If youre not aware, then, as I said to Leadfoot, you guys werent part of it. If all our experience is just based on what we read in Wikipedia, then weve missed the enduring experience of history. There had to be a reason to overthrow history but as was said.
Those who dont learn from the mistakes of history are condemned tp repeat them"
The Orthodoxy Ive been part and party in challenging was Global Tectonics, Chemical evolution, Chirality modelling and. Surface chemistry. I was in the trenches so please Ive been given a nice pat on the bck unbeknownst to youse .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2021 09:34 am
@Albuquerque,
PS, nothin wrong with being pragmatic. Its first definition assumes a respect for history. Ive done a lot of forensic work over theyers and being able to quote scientific precedence is amethodoly of presenting evidence In the US ruls of evidence entitled DAUBERT v FRY(look em both up, they are not a single case).
So much science theory is Generational, not AHAAA!!! moments. We recognize ahaaa moments as input and single evidence (The PREPONDERANCE of which makes a theory good for prime time)

When I first joined up in A2K
I was a devout

ANTI LAMARCKIAN

An AVOWED ANTI PANSPERMIAST

A FULL NATURAL SELECTIONIST /ADAPTATIONALIST

A GEOSYNCLINE FAN

A NON GLIDE PATH STRUCTURALIST

AN ALL MINERALS ON EARTH WERE MADE AT THE PLANETS FORMATION

Since neither you and I assume Leadfoot have never had to be part of the publish or perish rules , you dont understand how "challenging Orthodoxy" is often yelling FIRE in a crowded theater, for no reason. It certainly not a discussion topic in a public chat room. Im always amazed at how some scientists say Damn the torpedoes on Quora and write all kinds of dumb stuff .(LAter having to eat muskrat for saying things that have been lately disproven)

I laugh at creationists who repackage their same old bananas to look like new discoveries saying the same old things while real scientists hve to go through committees and often hundreds of papers to even begin Challenging old theories.
It a game and a self healing methodology of the practice. It aint a Reality tv show where the answer has 30 minute audience attention span

Imagine if Donald Trump were in charge of the bureau of standards nd HEW. Wed have "Answers daily" and some of them may even be right.

0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2021 12:26 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Im retired, my "Orthodoxy" hallenging days are pretty much over.
That was kinda my point.

Quote:
You dont remember the HUUUGE Upheaval in Plate Tectonics thats less than 50 years old. It was bitter and it was fun. Lotsa evidence and arm waving.
As I understand, youre a bit oler than I, dont you recall?
I do. Almost as much angst as when Hubble and that priest turned Cosmology on its head.

Quote:
Maybe you re involved in your own fields challenges to Orthodoxy,(or not)
Yes, I see no reason to stop. Alas, my challenges to Orthodoxy in my field of choice are summarily dismissed as blasphemy or met with crickets. That's why I appreciate your presence in this one so much. If I can’t have steak, at least I’ll enjoy a good burger.
farmerman

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2021 01:24 pm
@Leadfoot,
i like habaneros on my 5 guys
Albuquerque

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2021 03:14 pm
@farmerman,
Have you seen The Dig? I thought of you when I saw the film. Is recent and worth seeing!
farmerman

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2021 04:50 pm
@Albuquerque,
is that Netflix? Ive seen the trailers but not the story. Ill heck it out
Albuquerque

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2021 12:54 pm
@farmerman,
A nice Netflix film worth watching Farma, tho not as good as News of the world and Nomadland.
0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2021 12:20 pm
0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2021 08:36 pm
0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2021 06:24 am
Factoids on Pandemics that everyone should know but sadly don't...

...and this is the result of ignorance:

0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2021 10:14 am
0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2021 05:45 pm
Some people go to youtube to see and think about something...others think about something talk about it and then go to youtube to find peers, the pros and cons of what they thought about already!

I've spoke about this, pay special attention on the properties of "god" the Meta Physician talks about, I did it recently somewhere around the forum, today I found this one on Closer to Truth:
Albuquerque

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2021 05:35 am
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2021 06:42 am
@Albuquerque,
Poor Mr. Kuhn, trying to understand the truth, by consulting 'experts' while ignoring obvious errors in each POV.

But we keep watching, to see if he will ever give his own.
Albuquerque

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2021 07:16 am
@Leadfoot,
Khun is a fine nice man. Smart enough but not brilliant, he works in muddy waters...the ignoring of the obvious flaws of each POV which he can only push so far is the NECESSARY concession you make to get an "appointment" with the establishment. Diplomacy is a bitch...

...nevertheless his program, "Closer to Truth" is of interest as it scratches for an attempt to listen to all parts in an almost fair way. In sum Khun does what Khun can do...

...my only pet peeve with Khun is his obsession with an afterlife passport deal for eternity in a self centred and naive egotistical protection of the "I" in a "you don't have a clue on what kind of hell you are asking for" that he gladly admits he needs to buy into.

I feel sorry for him because he really doesn't grasp just how bad of a deal he is making...other then that, as I said before, Khun is a nice chap!
Leadfoot

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2021 11:55 am
@Albuquerque,
Quote:
...my only pet peeve with Khun is his obsession with an afterlife passport deal for eternity in a self centred and naive egotistical protection of the "I" in a "you don't have a clue on what kind of hell you are asking for" that he gladly admits he needs to buy into.

You don’t really believe he is so shallow as to want only 'this' for eternity do you? I thought you said he was a nice guy. I wouldn’t trust anybody who would make that deal.

But come on, you can hear him whisper behind every episode that if there is something behind it all, then there might be something better than 'this'.
He won’t say that out loud for the same reasons you alluded to.

The rest I agree with.
Albuquerque

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2021 12:04 pm
@Albuquerque,
This one cuts lots of corners but makes the point well enough that has eluded Khun for so long!

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2021 12:13 pm
@Albuquerque,
Guess I’ll take that as a 'Yes', you do think he’s that shallow.