Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2020 12:13 pm
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2020 11:06 am
Krauss is now friends with Philosophy!... Very Happy
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2020 01:06 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
And here, my Youtube comment on the latest above posted Lawrence Krauss Origins podcast:

I want to start my comment by stating that I am an agnostic/atheist but let me throw in some spicy remark:
What makes you think we are at the top spectrum of intelligence in the Cosmos statistically speaking? Forget about the Abrahamic God lets set ourselves for a smaller target. What about Super AGI, What about Demi-Gods compared to our monkey Homo Sapiens 200 thousand-year-old species? The Quest for a God of all demigods is a quest for justice which is entrenched subconsciously in Human nature. A quest to ensure the final order of Reality doesn't leave the short end of the stick to the lesser species...of course, being the case that we can't get it in our natural world we strive for another more Platonic more "perfect" reality...this goes way back before Abrahamic religions were even a thing.

On a second note Humanism was debated extensively but what about the Will to Power, the natural order in Biology that clearly governs our Universe? I am all for social justice and balance but I am not sure the way Nature works is compatible with our obsession with some sort of Paradise/Eden on which we clearly don't know much of what we want...for one I would find hell in the idea of living for Eternity...also a world without some measure of suffering is quite arguably a dull facile no game no stakes reality...the point is that even when we go far from classical religious talk there is loads of naivety on secular Humanist thinking. On the other hand is only fair to admit that Neo-Darwinism has shown that social cooperation is a winning strategy that, lets put it in Physics terms, saves energy on accomplishing complex tasks. A civilization without cooperation is not possible. The talk goes back to the rise of the mammals and all that jazz, the success of social species...on a final note just make sure the sort of Humanism we strive for is not a copycat of the simpleminded Religious one ingrained to our bones in our 2000 years of Western culture, even in those like me who clearly state to be nonbelievers.
..oh and by the way, I am not an ultra-right-wing nut job. I am left! Still, I acknowledge the Nietzschian problem...
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2020 02:42 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
PS - In case some of you were left wondering no I am not a fan of "Carriot of the Gods" bulshit either!
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2020 03:01 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
There was an interesting book, "Crash Go the Chariots" some years ago. I don't know if it remains in print.
0 Replies