My documentaries, the documentaries that I recommend

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2020 03:10 pm
The point was is to try to wonder about the origins of this kind of storytelling.
We know Human beings love storytelling as a way of compressing a deep understanding of topics that are extremely complex. The idea of "God" unlike Krauss and some other atheists simplemindedly would like us to believe is not just a wild goose chase. There is more to it. And it needs proper explaining.
We start with, in our own pre-historical tribes, awareness of conscious agents who are more competent than us and a complex world around. From there we extrapolate that we, each one of us, are not as individuals the wisest, knowledgable, or intelligent being in the world. There is always someone better in the spectrum. And from whoever it is at the top we hope for justice. This is asked first of our mother and father, second of our leaders and ultimately asked of a supreme agent...who is at the top? In modern parlance, the question is framed on knowing where does the spectrum of Intelligence leaves us as a species...again who is at the top?
This is the base for Religious belief in "Gods". A committed hope for Justice and Order wherever it might be and it doesn't look like we can get it in this world.
Now, our little obsession with Eden/Paradise is not strictly Religious, on the contrary it is quite secular although Religions all over the world have taken advantage of this yearning for protection. A yearning to get back to our mother's womb. A safe place. In that regard, I haven't seen yet anywhere a committed sociological study on what Humanism should want us to want...or better on what we need that we don't know we want yet...
Some want to live forever, never grow old, never be sick...but is it the case that such yearnings are actually what we need? I am not so sure at all...I find it hard to correct 3 or 4 billion years of Evolution regarding not just species but Ecosystems...
The question is, what kind of Ecosystem do we want in our little fantasy of Paradise? Can secular Humanism do better than Religions did? I surely hope so! But insofar they are selling the same naive dream...
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2020 03:51 pm
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2020 06:32 pm
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2020 01:23 pm
Old rambling repetitive Kasparov still worth listening to! Hang on past the first 15 minutes...
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2020 12:31 pm
Information overload, media manipulation, idiocracy and information anarchy will be the currency of the future. Decentralizing currency won't change a yota on what people will be manipulated to value. It is unfortunate that these topics weren´t debated. The whole system of human reality is in overheat mode and chaos follows naturally. Nevermind the planet has finite resources and economic models should run first upon these. "A world of abundance" yeah...for how long? Even ideas and technology are bound by the average performance of the species as a whole within our embodied cognitive needs. Although they occupy a way bigger space than physical goods/resources they are not infinite either.
The State as Religion has been a social narrative/software that runs human activity...what kind of market-driven narratives would arise in an "open" system and at what rate?
Moreover, there is a talk to be had on what people believe its valuable in contrast with what people actually need...it is an old very old topic!
The problem is not the government the problem is how to make sure the government is not corrupt!

Post Scriptum - No I am not a communist but I don't have infinite faith in the market self-regulation either.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2020 02:20 pm
People lie on average 200 times a day mostly blank lies but nonetheless. Interest in hearing the truth is directly opposed to storytelling and cultural narrative. Policies are built upon manipulating narrative and storytelling. A tells the truth politician never won an election.

0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2020 01:10 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
I just want to throw some clarity to my previous comment on cryptocurrency.
I think the future won't have 1 universal cryptocurrency, it will have hundreds of them, each for each tribe and its sect of believers.
Crypto does not have any inherent value at all other than faith...yes so it is true of most things nowadays that "fashion" regulates, what you call market trends...but the system of believing is more and more volatile. The middle man on crypto will be the one that gains from a previous believer becoming a nonbeliever and want to swap via converting his tribe crypto to the next tribe crypto, or to the next trend super duper crypto...whatever he converts his crypto into to get to the new promise land crypto doesn't matter, be it gold, art, sheep...the middle man is not in the daily transaction via crypto but in converting to the next pop culture crypto...things change but patterns repeat and everything stays the same. My point is the faster the currency, the more abstract and mobile it is, the more overheat it brings to the system and with it a war on propper information on its actual value. People lie on average 200 times a day, nobody wants the truth sadly, they want deception and belonging to a tribe narrative...that used to be the State and Religion...if those go something else will fill the void. Fashion money scares me!
The thing is "money" was always information...but proper information is becoming more and more intellectually expensive!
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2020 02:12 pm
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2020 05:59 am
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2020 07:52 am
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2020 01:00 pm
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2020 03:50 pm
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2020 05:30 am
You may like this, dans le style de Cabrel:

La Rose et l'Armure
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2020 12:05 am
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 03:26 am
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 03:44 am
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 04:07 am
Olivier5

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 04:31 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Capitalism is killing capitalism. More than a century ago, Karl Marx explained why: the system has internal contradictions that make it destroy itself. For instance, wealth concentration is a long-term trend in capitalism, and it leads to monopolies and oligopolies that defeat free markets based on competition, a core tenet of capitalism.

Hence the need for governments to intervene in markets, to save the system from itself e.g. through antitrust laws.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 05:49 am
@Olivier5,
Exactly Olivier!
Here some more:
Olivier5

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 06:14 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Absolutely EXCELLENT piece. Thank you. I have to deal with those fake "winner-friendly" philanthropists quite often and this gives me rhetorical weapons.