Getting a Crusty top

GRhodes

Reply Tue 2 May, 2017 10:43 pm
Hi. I am having trouble trying to get a good Crusty top to any rolls or bread that I make. I hand mix and knead all of my bread mix and allow enough proving time on 1st & 2nd prove.
They always seem to come out with a soft top, and this is not what I am after. I have tried salted water,egg wash etc but they still come out soft. Is it all in the finish that is put on to the rolls when going in for baking or is it the recipe itself?

Any help appreciated Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 947 • Replies: 4
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 4 May, 2017 01:22 am
@GRhodes,
I have the opposite problem. I always have to cover my bread with foil to stop it getting caught. It's always crusty. What temperature do you bake at, bread is normally quite high, approx. 200C or even higher. Are you using strong flour? Is your oven dry? Putting a tray of water on the bottom level normally helps with soft tops. If you've been doing that, stop. Finally how good/new is your oven, if it's old that might be the problem?
GRhodes

Reply Thu 4 May, 2017 10:28 am
@izzythepush,
Hi. I have been putting a tray in the bottom of the oven, and putting water into it to try and create steam when the rolls go in (because Paul Hollywood stated this in his recipe mix). Because the rolls/bread always seem to catch, I have been cooking on 180C. The oven is only a few years old, so I would not think this would be the problem.
I am using Strong flour and the mix seems to be good and have been complimented on the texture of bread.
So, if I increase the temperature to 200C or higher and leave out the water tray will this give me a good Crusty top?
How long do you bake rolls for?
How long do you bake loaves for?
Do you put anything on the top of rolls before you put them in the oven to bake?

Thanks Graham
izzythepush

Reply Thu 4 May, 2017 02:30 pm
@GRhodes,
Rolls about 15 minutes at 220C, no wash/glaze, no water, but best to keep the foil handy. Sometimes you can get away without foil with rolls, but not a loaf. I do a loaf for about half an hour.

From what you've been saying I should probably turn it down a bit.
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 4 May, 2017 03:09 pm
@izzythepush,
I've not made rolls much that I remember, but have baked a lot of breads in my time. Skipping to the chase, I still like Carol Field's breads, especially Terni bread. It involves using biga, for a sort of sourdough. Her temp in the recipe is 400F, circa 204C.

I don't remember any of my breads not being crusty (but maybe I forget). I follow Field's book, The Italian Baker (by now, it opens by itself as I take it from the cupboard), and sometimes check on Fresh Loaf.
0 Replies