Fast No-Knead Whole Wheat Bread

Published: October 7, 2008

2 cups whole wheat flour

1/2 cup whole rye flour

1/2 cup coarse cornmeal

1 teaspoon instant yeast

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

Oil as needed.

1. Combine flours, cornmeal, yeast and salt in a large bowl. Add 1 1/2 cups water and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest about 4 hours at warm room temperature, about 70 degrees.

2. Oil a standard loaf pan (8 or 9 inches by 4 inches; nonstick works well). Lightly oil your hands and shape dough into a rough rectangle. Put it in pan, pressing it out to the edges. Brush top with a little more oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest 1 hour more.

3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake bread about 45 minutes, or until loaf reaches an internal temperature of 210 degrees. Remove bread from pan and cool on a rack.

Yield: 1 loaf.

the article

Quote:
No-Knead Bread: Not Making Itself Yet, but a Lot Quicker

I know a few people here have tried the original no-knead bread. I'm looking forward to making this version once I regain my tastebuds.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,507 • Replies: 1
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2011 10:30 am
@ehBeth,
Am making this again today. First time I baked it too long, duh. It was still good - very good flavor - but almost too dense.
This time I was almost out of whole wheat flour, so it's got about 2/3 c of unbleached bread flour with 1 1/3 whole wheat along with the rye and corn meal. Plus, I added some dill and fennel that I scrunched in a mortar.
0 Replies