How Long Before The Attempt To Repeal The 22nd. Amendment?

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 09:55 am
and how do you think they'll go about it in order to make it look like it wasn't bush and roves idea?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 861 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 10:03 am
When pigs fly. I don't think that anyone with a brain in his head would attempt that. I think that there would be a huge backlash!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 10:04 am
ditto pho.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 10:05 am
but Phoenix, in the 21st. Century 51% is a mandate.....anything can happen and be accepted if marketed correctly......in a state that birthed Britanny Spears and Justin Timberlake you should know that better than anyone.....
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 10:20 am
I thought it was originally Reagan's idea... Confused... Of course, this link is news from 2003, but clearly something republicans (especially) attempt to change...

http://www.thecarpetbaggerreport.com/archives/000176.html

I keep thinking about Roosevelt's excuse of WW2, to buck tradition; how it would be imprudent to change leaders at such a time... Shocked An expert manipulator could probably make a good argument for such to be the prudent course again... Shocked
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 10:24 am
all it would take is one well place threat, actual atack, or close call and the american public would eat **** sandwiches if bush told them to. That's a proven gimme.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 10:24 am
Wow. I can't understand why democrats would introduce that legislation at this time. Just goes to show they are all creeps.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 10:30 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Wow. I can't understand why democrats would introduce that legislation at this time. Just goes to show they are all creeps.

It's supposed to insure a more effective 2nd term for presidents... but it does seem to be a double edged sword, doesn't it? Shocked
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 10:34 am
Personally, I thinnk that eight years in the White House is quite enough, thank you.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 10:37 am
If anything, I would support making the presidency a single six year term. You get your shot and it's over. This would, to a degree place the office above mundane politics. Getting reelected would not be a consideration in the decision making process.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 10:38 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Personally, I thinnk that eight years in the White House is quite enough, thank you.

phoenix no offense meant, truly, but based on your posts these last couple of years you are the perfect representatioin of the voter who would allow bush a third term if frightened by the terrorist problem......
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 10:39 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Wow. I can't understand why democrats would introduce that legislation at this time.

I can. There is a movement afoot to change the qualifications of the presidency by an amendment so that a naturalized citizen could run. Now if Bush were allowed to run for a third term, he might lose, or it might be another four years.

But if Ahnold were able to run, it might be another eight years of the Democrats being out of power. Who do you think has a better chance, Hillary or the Governator?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 10:54 am
Quote:
phoenix no offense meant, truly, but based on your posts these last couple of years you are the perfect representatioin of the voter who would allow bush a third term if frightened by the terrorist problem......

Bi- First, now that the election is over, let me say that I think that Bush is a first class jerk. I despise his social policies, and his apparent priority of his religion over his mandate to adhere to the Constitution.

The problem that I had was that Kerry, to me, was a non-entity. I could not get a handle on him, felt that he had no real compass. The whole Vietnam issue bugged the hell out of me, as was his, IMO, very weak response to the concept of terrorism.

No, I don't think that Bush is handling terrorism, and the war in Iraq as well as it ought to be handled, but I felt that with Kerry, the scenario would get much, much worse.

Find me a conservative Democrat with a good sense of reality as to what is happening in the world, and in would vote for him in four years, in a heartbeat!
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 10:59 am
so you're saying you declined to vote for someone you weren't sure about over someone you were sure was a world class piece of ****. <sigh> and why? because you thought he might keep you safe...... Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 11:10 am
Quote:
so you're saying you declined to vote for someone you weren't sure about over someone you were sure was a world class piece of ****. <sigh> and why? because you thought he might keep you safe......

Bi- The last few months for me were not easy. It is true that I take terrorism VERY seriously. Apparently, many people on this site don't. My cousin, who was a surgeon with the NYC police force, became disabled while helping clean up the mess after 9/11. I don't ever want to see anything like that happen in the US again.

Never said that Bush was a world class piece of ****...the words that I used were "first class jerk". Laughing Let's just say that I didn't think that Kerry had it in him to run the country at this time. There was more to it than just the terrorism, although that WAS a priority. I am more in agreement with Bush's economic policies as well.

0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 11:25 am
http://www.nypost.com/postopinion/editorial/33455.htm

Timber posted this on another thread. WOW!
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 11:34 am
I would not take anything I read in the New York Post seriously. This is a Ruppert Murdock rag and is just one notch above the National Inquirer.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 04:49 pm
I agree with Acquiunk about the single six-year term. I don't see why Americans often feel they need a perfect democracy, no matter what it impedes or cripples.

If such an amendment did pass, it would only be classy for the current president to only support the change for future candidates. Otherwise it would seem underhanded. Of course, class has never been requisite to presidency.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 04:52 pm
Of course, in playing their cards for additional terms they are more likely to comply to majority will.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 05:11 pm
I think they will look to change the first amendment initially particularly the portion that pertains to separation of church and state. Not that it seems to have been a deterrent to this point.
0 Replies