Powell lays out U.S. case at the UN.

BillW

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 05:57 pm
What happens when the Rumps Colin meets the Bush Cheney - you get a little Rice?
0 Replies

ZedSquared

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 07:37 pm
Colin Powell's presentation to the United Nations was an example of Alice in Wonderland-type propaganda. Reality has been turned upside down. At the very moment that Iraq, hobbled by 12 years of devastating sanctions and ongoing U.S. bombing, is surrounded by a heavily-armed invasion force of more than 100,000 troops, fighter aircraft, warships and high tech conventional missiles, and is threatened with a nuclear strike, Powell argued that Iraq poses a great threat to "peace."
VoteNoWar.org Cool
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 05:12 am
"intelligence material turns out to be nothing of the sort - but rather an internet cut-and-paste exercise largely lifted from a Californian post-graduate thesis"

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/foreignaffairs/comment/0,11538,892070,00.html

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-570248,00.html
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 05:17 am
Right now Iraq poses no threat, just because its being surrounded by the overwhelming U.S. force. But it is impossible to hold forces in idle status infinitely. They have to act or to withdraw. In case they are withdrawed, Saddam may resume being a global hazard.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 05:49 am
Iraq has not been a global hazard since the original war. We have had our knee on Iraq's throat ever since.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 06:03 am
Not exactly. Iraqis managed to proceed with their military technological programs even under the conditions that emerged agter the Gulf War-1.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 10:04 am
Powell made the case for me and I'd like to see him President in 2008. Very Happy
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 12:09 pm
I would like to see Powell retire. He would make a fair vacuum salesman. So far no one but the Bush administration finds much to attack.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 12:23 pm
New Haven
President of what. I believe all he is at this point is a good soldier following the orders from on high. IMO he is too smart to believe half of what he is saying.
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 03:25 pm
Read this piece from the Consortium...Powell does not command my respect. He was involved with the cover-up of the My Lai massacre and Iran Contra. This is a must read:

"The U.S. news media couldn't heap enough praise on Colin Powell's Iraq warpresentation to the United Nations. But there are two historical precedents that should give pause: one about Powell's trustworthiness and the other about a prior U.S. case to the UN that proved to be a fabrication.

Rather than a man of unchallenged principle, Powell has consistently put his political interests first, as was demonstrated when he played a double game on the U.S. field commanders in the first Persian Gulf War. The second historical precedent was the now-admitted case of a fabrication that the Reagan administration used to fool the American people and the UN in 1983."

For the full stories, go to Consortiumnews.com at http://www.consortiumnews.com
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 04:21 pm
It really didn't matter. But why are they all so careful - in talking about their war - just to talk about Hussein? When I listen I don't hear mention of the Iraqis. So did Powell make a case for going to war against Saddam Hussein? According to what I read, he might have swung a few more - but American opinion seems to say we still want real allies and the UN, opiinions that don't matter, because a small, selective body of minds have made their decision.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 04:39 pm
au:

President of the USA. Very Happy
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 05:46 pm
We have none till 2005 - just an appointee!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 10:09 pm
Powell is not the great man so many think he is.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 10:20 pm
Many are saying that Powell has convinced them that war is our only choice. That's too bad, because I still disagree. I guess, I just don't want to see a lot of dead bodies, and would rather keep Saddam contained for as long as necessary. War will come if Saddam attacks any of his neighbors or the US, but it will be with a true world coalition. Who in the future would contemplate such action after Saddam if they realize the whole world will be at their throat? c.i.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 10:23 pm
Exactly. Iraq has no chance at adventurism and Bush has to know it. His private agenda is all he has to go on.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 04:08 am
"Top Ten Messages Left on Colin Powell's Answering Machine"

From the February 6 Late Show with David Letterman, the "Top Ten Messages Left on Colin Powell's Answering Machine" after his presentation to the UN Security Council. Late Show Web site: http://www.cbs.com/latenight/lateshow/

10. "It's the President. Didn't see the speech -- Regis was on 'The View'"

9. "Hey -- great answering machine message! Is that really Jack Nicholson?"

8. "Jacques Chirac calling about the attack on Iraq"

7. "I'm sorry. I have the wrong number. I was looking for former Baltimore Oriole Boog Powell"

6. "It's Osama. I surrender...just kidding. It's the President...give me a buzz"

5. "Dude, turn on CNN. There's someone who looks just like you"

4. "Bob Barker calling. Pre-empt 'The Price Is Right' one more time and I'll stab you"

3. "It's the bakery. Can you tell us again how to spell 'Condoleeza'?"

2. "Mr. Smith, this is Golden Touch Outcall Massage. Your credit card has expired"

1. "This is Saddam. How much for that Anthrax you held up yesterday?"
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 05:12 pm
Same location, different date, same people, different report, same diatribe, different clothes, same results!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 05:29 pm
BillW, Just notice that? LOL c.i.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 05:31 pm
Unfortunately c.i., first noticed it last August - Rove v Bush Inc. - how sad <sigh>
0 Replies