You need a license to watch TV in UK?!

farmerman

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2017 08:41 am
@izzythepush,
so your overall point is an attempt at "nyah Nyah"?

US is a great melting pot of just about Everything. We took "Steptoe and SOn" and converted it for an age of ARchie Bunker .
So your point that US doesnt have any "chefs" telling the Brits how to run restaurants, well, really, what do we get out of THAT?? Your entire country is smaller than New York and Pennsylvania and the Ramsey show only gets one VOLUNTEER RESTAURANT in those states willing to undergo his abuse in order to get a total face lift of their businesses(for free).
Its entertainment. (PS Ramsey's pretty much last Week's item). Everything has a peak and a decline, like Duck Dynasty or "Naked nd Afraid"

My friend 's son, is the producer of a lot of these "Flip sisters " TV shows qhere partially dressed hotties, buy ND SELL HOUSES WITH MINIMAL UPGRADING and totally self imposed deadlines based on "bridge loans" paybacks.

I do like most UK Tv and find them much better than ours because we have so many outlets that its easy to be just bored hitless with crappy TV. However our comedy and much drama (like the Sopranos) takes a back seat to noone. The only thing I have against Brit Crime drama is the apparent 1950's presentation of actual crimes committed . We do seem to celebrate gratuitous violence, But Brit TV seems to deny it.

The Canadian Film Board produces some really good comedy nd drama.

farmerman

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2017 08:43 am
@izzythepush,
If youve never seen any American cooking shows, how then do you come up with the "too much fat etc" assertions??

You are rather clueless and are just trying to sound informed .

farmerman

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2017 08:48 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
We have to(buy) a license to fish which I never understood.

Most sport fish species are not sustainable, and unlike many countries where prime fishing waters are SEALED OFF, we have Fish and Game Agencies within each state which take on raising hatchlings to restock streams and rivers.
Also, we use license fees (fishing and hunting) to pimp up the streams and public game lands.

ehBeth

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2017 08:57 am
@izzythepush,
If you are interested in cooking, missing some American and Australian cooking shows is a shame. There is some excellent cooking happening in the US and in many other countries. I think Australian cooking shows are by far the best of cooking shows I've seen from around the world.

Cooking and cooking shows are one place where I would definitely not give people in the UK or Europe the lead.
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2017 09:13 am
@farmerman,
Thanks, now I know. I always wondered what was the big deal about sticking a pole in the water off the boat dock...
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2017 09:44 am
@farmerman,
Having been in America, everything is oversweetened, even the bloody cornflakes, and by actually trying to cook from American cookbooks. I had to use a quarter of the sugar they put in.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2017 09:48 am
@farmerman,
No you didn't. Steptoe and Son became Sanford and Son. Alf Garnett became the much watered down, anodyne, Bunker. You're right about one thing, America does have a reputation for taking good TV and shitting all over it.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2017 09:50 am
@revelette1,
I've not started a thread about how shitty America is. McGentrix started this Anglophobic thread. I'm just not prepared to lie back and take it.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2017 09:53 am
@farmerman,
There aren't very many British Restaurants in the US. Here in Boston we have Italian Restaurants, Thai Restaurants, Chinese, Senegalese, Mexican... and a bunch of others... but not a single British restaurant. I wonder why that is.

Strangely enough, googling "American Restaurants in London" comes up with many fine options, from Cajun to what is advertised as "American Diners" to Burger Joints.

A British person complain complaining about food from other countries. That is a joke. What's next, are they going to complain about dentists?
centrox

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2017 10:03 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I've not started a thread about how shitty America is. McGentrix started this Anglophobic thread. I'm just not prepared to lie back and take it.

I think he wants you to bend over and take it.
Olivier5

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2017 10:08 am
@saab,
saab wrote:
The licence goes to make good programs and to pay the people working there.
That means less or no ads.
What´s wrong with paying for people´s work?

Exactly. And that's why the only good US TV channels are the cable ones like HBO, that one pays to watch. The networks have far too much adds to be watchable.
farmerman

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2017 10:15 am
@Olivier5,
Before Izzy got all testy thats what the smart information was about.
We all pay for better stuff in on fashion or another. The teabaggers want to sit and watch commercials all day? Most of which are mindless twaddle.
Thats what they define as "FREEDOM"
farmerman

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2017 10:20 am
@maxdancona,
I hadda rethumb you up. Seems like IZZY is starting to overheat.
When I worked in UK qnd Ireland, finding anyplace decent was a hike each day. We usually wound up at some foreign place.

We have 2 English "pub style" joints in Lower Delaware and one near West Chester Pa "estate country".
Both have reasonably authentic English food. Kinda tastless, loaded with salty white "sauces" and the only thing memorable would be sticky toffee with "clotted cream"
maxdancona

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2017 10:22 am
@farmerman,
I will give you pubs. A pub is a place to get beer, not a place one generally goes to get food. The places around here are mostly Irish pubs, the drinking and the music is great. But I will concede the point.

I don't expect to ever see a Cornwall Fried Chicken franchise opening up in the US though Wink.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2017 10:30 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
No you didn't. Steptoe and Son became Sanford and Son.
Thats what I sorta said Izzy. Dont explode please. Sanford was made during the same time of "All in the Family" qnd was a Black version of a racist POV.

You try to make a Saga as good as the old "Lonesome Dove". (First off youd have to go to SPain or Morocco to find locations representing the old west.)

0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2017 10:33 am
@farmerman,
Yep. There no such thing as a free meal... Either you pay for your TV shows through watching endless advertisements, or you pay cash by getting a cable provider so that you can watch entire movies or shows without adds in them.

French public TV is paid from both a licence fee and some adds. They are not allowed to interrupt a program or movie by adds though. The adds are only in between shows, and kept below a certain time limit, so it remains watchable.

Likewise, there are a few add-free newspapers and magazines in France, and their cost is obviously higher than the ones with adds. The value-added is a total independence of these newspapers from big firms. They can say whatever they want even if it does not please l'Oreal and the likes.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2017 10:37 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Both have reasonably authentic English food. Kinda tastless, loaded with salty white "sauces" and the only thing memorable would be sticky toffee with "clotted cream"

that's like saying McD's and KFC are authentic American food.

There is very good food in England - some of the finest restaurants and food creators in the world. I'd hurt someone to get into a Heston Blementhal restaurant when he's cooking. Simon Rogan is another chef whose table I'd love to be at. http://www.greatbritishchefs.com/michelin-guide-results

Still nothing like Australia, which does seem to be the lead in food innovation this last decade plus.
McGentrix

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2017 10:41 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

There aren't very many British Restaurants in the US. Here in Boston we have Italian Restaurants, Thai Restaurants, Chinese, Senegalese, Mexican... and a bunch of others... but not a single British restaurant. I wonder why that is.

Strangely enough, googling "American Restaurants in London" comes up with many fine options, from Cajun to what is advertised as "American Diners" to Burger Joints.

A British person complain complaining about food from other countries. That is a joke. What's next, are they going to complain about dentists?

There are only so many ways you can serve bland, tasteless, boiled meat.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2017 10:41 am
@Olivier5,
Id like a cable tv channel that had commercials in unobtrusive spots of time. I have learned to tape shows and remove commercials on cable movies (We pay for much cable and still get these stupid "fat burner" and " hardon helper" drugs which are for idiots).

My cable bill with premium channels is approaching 200$ a month. I dont know how anyone can claim that US tv is supeior. Thats just BS. We are but a few islands of really good stuff in a sea of flotsam.
farmerman

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2017 10:43 am
@ehBeth,
Rudy MAxa said recently that WNglish food has had to improve markedly since the 1990's . English people dont consider salt a spice any longer.

0 Replies