Where is the line?

blatham

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 10:35 am
Tres

It may be. Let's hear from sozobe. Either way is fine with me, and I do think it of particular relevance and import.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 10:35 am
ps

gone for the day
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 10:47 am
<blowing kisses Tres' way>

I think it is of import, to be sure, and sprang directly from this discussion, to be sure. I'd like to see it as a separate discussion, myself, because it would bring in people who haven't been following this one, and because there's no reason we can't carry on parallel discussions (i.e. this one can continue along more general/ philosophical lines, while the specifics are discussed in the new thread.)
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 10:56 am
NEW TOPIC: Separation of Church and State
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 11:30 am
blatham wrote:
Hegemony/Pre-emption

The easy one is the external policies of pre-emption and hegemony. I'll trust, first of all, that you've read the appropriate information (as in Bush's speech at West Point or the numerous other analyses) such that you acknowledge these policies are driving present policy.

Both policies are unique to this administration as foundations or givens for foreign engagement.

The policy is neither unique nor new. You could go back as far as prior US policies of Manifest Destiny and the Monroe Doctrine and find the very same scenario. The Mexican War was launched in such a manner.

But.. For some more recent items which again point to the views not being anything new, from a 1999 speech by Samuel R. Berger, Assistant to the President (Clinton) For National Security Affairs:

"It is quite an experience travelling around the world with the President
of the United States. America is still special for most people in the
world - a symbol of hope and resolve for those struggling to be free, to
be at peace, or simply to have their voices heard. If you were to ask
Jose Ramos Horta of East Timor what role America plays in the world; or
John Hume of Northern Ireland, or Aung San Suu Kyi of Burma, or any
Kosovar refugee, central European democrat, Israeli or Palestinian
campaigner for peace, you would get one answer: America has and must
continue to lead. If we disappoint, it's usually not from doing too
much, but too little.

And yet, there is another image of America abroad -- of a country that
is unilateralist and too powerful. We see that in the view expressed by
the French, as only they can, that we are not merely a superpower, but a
"hyperpower."
We see it in the European reaction to Kosovo: relief we prevailed, but also angst over the necessarily disproportionate role
America played, and among some the quest for a security identity
detached from NATO. We see it in Russia's and China's reactions to
Kosovo - in their fear that what we saw as a legitimate, multilateral
defense of common interests and values was in fact the start of a
crusade to contain their power and impose our will on the world.
We see it in the dismay among our friends and allies that we do not live up to
many of our international obligations, even as we demand that others do.

The perception persists among some that the United States has become a hectoring hegemon. And since perceptions do matter, this is a problem we must do what we can to resolve. Let's begin by understanding the various strands of the criticism we face.

At one extreme, we are accused of trying to dominate others, of seeing
the world in zero sum terms in which any other country's gain must be
our loss. But that is an utterly mistaken view.
It's not just because
we are the first global power in history that is not an imperial power.
It's because for 50 years, we have consciously tried to define and
pursue our interests in a way that is consistent with the common good -
rising prosperity, expanding freedom, collective security."

Additionally, The US while saying there was no pre-emptive use policy has ACTED preemptively on numerous occassion. Cuba and Thailand in 1962, The Dominican Republic in 1965, Honduras, Grenada and Chad in 1983 and Panama in 1988 and 1989 are a few examples of actions within the last few decades.

So what has really changed? The announced policy or the actions that underlie what the policy really has been? What is unique to Bush 43?

Quote:

Church and state

Let's acknowledge first of all that church/state issues have arisen both in the courts and in public discourse coincident with two other phenomena - the internal organization and political engagement of the evangelical community, and the rise of that group's influence within the Republican Party. (As a relevant anecdote, a dozen years ago I met the fellow who had been contracted to write the organizational software for the Moral Majority. He said, as he passed me a chubby joint, "I hate these guys, and I've armed them really really well...but I needed the money.")

I don't think you'll contest that the last ten or twenty years have witnessed a distinct increase in attempts to bring 'creation science' into classrooms, to forward biblical mention in schools (prayer,etc), and to place christians on local school boards.

And this is odd? How so? The reason the phenomena is noticable over the last few decades is because up until that point in time School prayer and such was Constitutional! Evangelical Christians aren't anything new. They've been around for centuries. In general tems people don't exert political power for things they already have. From the founding of the US up until the USSC ruling in Engel v. Vitale (1963) prayers in schools were allowed. It wasn't until after the 14th Amendment was interpreted to apply to the states that religion was banned from public schools (againt the will of the democratically elected representatives within the states..). The issue was entirely up to the states to contend with. One should hardly have expected there to have been an outcry from the religious right when the laws that existed supported their position. They didn't organize until the laws were struck down and barred by the Courts.

Quote:
Or, to limit access to abortion through judicial appointments, attempts to change law, and through organized efforts towards placing christians on local hospital boards (I'll leave the fringe element out of this).

Which was done (according to the ACLU, NOW and numerous other groups..) under the Reagan and Bush 41 administrations as well. Nothing unique there. Again, are discussions on the views of Judicial appointees regarding abortion something unique to Bush 43? Has there been any federal judge approved in the last 40+ years where the question of their position on abortion hasn't been raised?

As for "attempts to change the law"... Well, jeez... We wouldn't want to do that now would we? lol How is attempting to change laws unique to Bush?

Quote:
And, I don't think you'll contest that the evangelical community has become deeply influential in the Republican Party. Enough traditional Republicans have themselves spoken to this issue.

I also doubt you will contest here (after acknowledging dys above) that this administration is more deeply influenced by this evangelical element than any administration previously.

True enough... I can also point to any of several groups that have pushed for an increase in the seperation of church and state. What makes one acceptable but not the other? Isn't the ability for individuals to organize as a group and voice their views and push for those views to be enacted in legislation a hallmark of Democracy? Or is it only a Democracy when the views you prefer are advanced? Democracy is a double edged sword... It cuts both ways.

Quote:
So, what threat to separation of church and state? Read any legal brief put forward by the ACLU, or Jewish or Muslim interested party, as to where the constitution is in danger. What, for example, would be the response of this part of the Republican party to a rotation of spiritual beliefs and symbols in the operation of the state? For example, if a fellow stood up in Congress and brought forward for discussion a bill which would change US currency for one year to "In Vishnu We Trust", then the following year it would become "In Hubbard We Trust"?

Well, while I get your drift I won't speculate on what MIGHT be the response be to some fictional proposal that MIGHT come about since it has nothing to do with what IS and or HAS come about.

Quote:
The 'freedom' being pushed for is NOT freedom of religion, it is freedom for ONE religion. There's the danger.

Really? Can you point to one single piece of legislation or Executive Order signed by Bush that applies to only ONE religion? You've run off into the realm of rhetoric here and left facts out of the picture. What groups push for and what is actually enacted are usally very different things. I don't recall any policy or proposals from this Bush administration saying that programs that provide Federal funds for private schools can't be used for Jewish or Muslim schools. I haven't seen anything that limits Hindus, Pagans, Christian Scientists, 7th Day Adventists or any other religious groups from qualifying for Federal programs under the any of the proposals...

Quote:
It is precisely this danger, the monopolization of power and influence within the nation which the framers had seen more than enough of in Europe and which they wanted desperately to avoid here.

You greatly mis-state the Constitutional framers actions. The Constitution, when written, applied to the FEDERAL government. The states were free to do with religion as they pleased. Of the original 13 states only one (New York) made no mention of religion in their state Constitutions. The other 12 ALL referenced religion and in fact 9 of them actively supported religion in their states. South Carolina declared "Protestant Chiristianity" as their State religion. Mass. not only stated that public funds would be used to build churches and pay the salaries of clerics but they assigned the power to force attendance at Protestant services regaredless of the individuals personal faith.

You can fall back on the Seperation of Church and State in the Constitution but you can't fall back on the original document and it's framers to support your statements. All of the statements you've made are based on positions developed by the US Supreme Court over the last 40-50 years which have turned the Seperation clause on it's head. Those decisions, and the opposition to them are what gave rise to the "Religious Right".
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 11:57 am
Fish'n,

Thank you for the effort taken in the detailed response to Blatham. I believe it well written and to the point. While I doubt that we would agree on all points, for the most part I wholeheartedly agree with your remarks.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 05:15 pm
fishin

Now, look here! I craft sentences of such beauty that men and even beasts of the field might weep. And you expect me to actually do some work. Bugger, I say.

It's a delicious response. Well done. I likely won't be able to get to it until the morning.

ps...I'm very pleased you and Olga hit it off.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 05:24 pm
It took me all morning to put that together! lmao

(btw, were you aware that if you stuff a quarter in Olga's ear her teeth fold back and her tongue vibrates? Well.. I'm off to find a few rolls of quarters... )
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 11:06 pm
This is interesting (long, but interesting):

http://www.oriononline.org/pages/om/03-2om/Berry.html

(fishin' and Olga, sittin' in a tree...)
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 12:15 am
sozobe - I won't pretend to have read far, but this leaped out at me as I started:

Quote:
While the United States will constantly strive to enlist the support of the international community, we will not hesitate to act alone, if necessary, to exercise our right of self defense by acting preemptively against such terrorists... (p. 6)

I have come across this line of thought many times recently, and each time I do so I want to ask, "So what?"

What seems so fundamentally novel or dangerous to so many in the notion that the US has always and will always put US interests first, whether aided by our allies or not. Frankly, who would want a federal government whose primary concern was not for this nation and these people? Not I.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 05:50 am
I did read it. Familiar cant about the United States being the "richest most wasteful nation in the world", the perceived nexus between our security & our economic aims, and our failure to wage peace with anything near the effort and discipline as our preparations for war. Some truth in it, but I don't see any connection between these points and the matter in Iraq.

Even if the United States were to reduce its consumption of petroleum by half, the oil produced in the Persian Gulf region would be critical to us and to the world. The evident absolute domination of Iraq by Saddam Hussein, and his intent, through Iraq, to dominate the region by any means necessary, would be unchanged. The connection between Iraq and various terrorists (not all of them religious in their central motivation) would continue to expand, despite the evident secularism of the Iraqi regime. The danger these motivations, together with the evident intent and ability of Iraq to develop chemical, biological, and nuclear weapons, and to use them to further its aims, would be unchanged.

In addition the strategic connection of France and Russia to their relations with this regime in Iraq would also be unchanged. The Iraqi military is equipped with French and Russian weapons almost exclusively. Indeed Iraq owes both countries large sums for previous acquisitions. The Iraqi aircraft shown testing and dispensing aerosol chemical/biological weapons in Powell's presentation to the UN was a Mirage, manufactured in France. The Exocet air to surface missile which another Iraqi Mirage used to hit the USS Stark in the early 1980s was also manufactured in France and sold to Iraq to support her aggression against Iran. The nuclear reactor which was the core of the Iraqi nuclear weapons program was built and sold to her by France. The thousands of Iraqi tanks that rolled over Kuwait (and which later were destroyed or fled) were supplied by Russia. The list goes on. Germany has also been a principal supplier of the manufacturing and industrial base for Iraq's own weapons development programs.

It is a great mistake to assume that the motivations of France, Russia, and Germany in this struggle are for peace alone. That, of course is in their rhetoric, but the facts tell a different story.

The United States is far from perfect, but our actions and motivations in this matter are far more useful to the peace and stability of the world than those of these other nations. It may be useful to consider the history of each of these nations for the last century or so when one is tempted to seriously consider their criticisms of our national strategy.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 08:39 am
fishin

Monroe Doctrine...there is no licence here for either hegemony or pre-emption. In fact, the constraints the US is obliged to acknowledge are contained in it...
Quote:
Our policy in regard to Europe, which was adopted at an early stage of the wars which have so long agitated that quarter of the globe, nevertheless remains the same, which is, not to interfere in the internal concerns of any of its powers; to consider the government de facto as the legitimate government for us;
(from Monroe's address to Congress Dec 2, 1823... more http://gi.grolier.com/presidents/ea/side/mondoc.html )

Manifest Destiny... I'll assume you aren't defending this rather arrogant and nutty messianist idea, and you are just making the much easier claim that the Bush administration is a believer in, and proponent of it, thus is off the hook (on the charge of uniqueness) because others held the same position earlier. Well....who previously?
Quote:
To some, the Manifest Destiny Doctrine was based on the idea that America had a divine providence. It had a future that was destined by God to expand its borders, with no limit to area or country. All the traveling and expansion were part of the spirit of Manifest Destiny, a belief that it was God's will that Americans spread over the entire continent, and to control and populate the country as they see fit. Many expansionists conceived God as having the power to sustain and guide human destiny. "It was white man's burden to conquer and christianize the land" (Demkin <manif_l.htm>, Chapter 8). For example, the idea that the Puritan notion of establishing a "city on a hill" was eventually secularized into Manifest Destiny--a sort of materialistic, religious, utopian destiny.
http://odur.let.rug.nl/~usa/E/manifest/manif1.htm That last sentence sounds about right for this present administration, if extended out past the New World.

Then you quote a Clinton staffer, I guess to suggest that if a Democrat says nice things about the US's role in the world, it must be so. The more important error you make is to imply that the present administration's views and goals are that of previous administrations because another previous politician simply spoke about hegemony.
Quote:
The perception persists among some that the United States has become a hectoring hegemon. And since perceptions do matter, this is a problem we must do what we can to resolve. Let's begin by understanding the various strands of the criticism we face.

At one extreme, we are accused of trying to dominate others, of seeing
the world in zero sum terms in which any other country's gain must be
our loss. But that is an utterly mistaken view. It's not just because
we are the first global power in history that is not an imperial power.
It's because for 50 years, we have consciously tried to define and
pursue our interests in a way that is consistent with the common good -
rising prosperity, expanding freedom, collective security."
Well, aside from the 'see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil' three monkey thing...What is entirely avoided here is Bush's speech at West Point (that the guiding purpose of US strategy after the end of the Cold War should be to prevent the emergence of any 'peer competitor' anywhere in the world. It also avoids acknowledging the 1992 'think tank' document by Wolfowitz, Perle, and the rest of Rumsfeld crowd. This IS new. This doctrine has no previous voice in US adminstrations. And it seems likely that if you folks don't get a grip on your administration, what is going on now with the UN and NATO will only get worse...
Quote:

http://slate.msn.com/id/2078389/

(I'll take up church and state separately)
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 08:50 am
Sorry...forgot the pre-emption corner...let's go with this...
Quote:

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/15790
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 10:35 am
fishin

You said
Quote:
All of the statements you've made are based on positions developed by the US Supreme Court over the last 40-50 years which have turned the Seperation clause on it's head. Those decisions, and the opposition to them are what gave rise to the "Religious Right".
That's just about the greatest compound fracture of fact I've bumped into for a while. The social phenomenon in question is far more complex, but this IS one of the myths associated with the movement and which is commonly used to grant it 'normalcy'.

On church and state you avoid discussing the modern influence of the evangelical community in the party and in American politics. Perhaps you are doing the 'devil's advocate' thing, as you've acknowledged (to Dys) previously the notable influence of this wing in the party. If you are, I don't think it terribly valuable. Evangelists have been around for centuries, but never so powerful an influence. Perhaps in a hundred years, the Scientologists will have replaced them in power and influence. I suggest this is not likely to be a grand thing.

The claim is that the religious right got organized to combat a particular judicial trend, to merely get things back to the way they were before these usurpers took charge and began 'interpreting' the constitution. But as you likely know, this division of opinion on how the constitution ought to be considered is very rich and nuanced. The version of the debate forwarded by folks like Bennett is simplistic at best (read anything by Ronald Dworkin on the matter). A piece from Didion...
Quote:
What had been for the past several decades the origin myth of the neoconservative right had become, in part because it so uniquely filled the need of the political class to explain its own estrangement from the elec-torate, the official story, shared by all participants in the process: America, in this apocalyptic telling, had been from its inception until the 1960s a deeply religious nation. During the 1960s, through the efforts of what Robert H. Bork called "the 'intellectual' class and that class's enforcement arm, the judiciary, headed by the Supreme Court of the United States," the nation and its citizens had been inexplicably and destructively "secularized," and were accordingly in need of "transformation," of "moral and intellectual rearmament," of "renewed respect for moral authority." In a country already so increasingly steeped in evangelical teaching that a significant number of its citizens had come to believe that "God created man pretty much in his present form at one time within the last ten thousand years" (47 percent of Americans surveyed by Gallup in 1991 said they believed in such a fell swoop, or "recent special creation"), those who wrote and talked were arguing how the nation's political system could best revive those religious values allegedly destroyed (in an interestingly similar fell swoop) during the 1960s.

The important point is not how or why they got organized, but rather what consequences are, or are likely to, follow.
Quote:
"I wish we could send copies of this book[Compassionate Conservatism: What It Is, What It Does, and How It Can Transform America by Marvin Olasky] to all Americans who still believe - all evidence to the contrary - that their religious freedom will be protected under a Bush administration," Ira N. Forman, Executive Director of the National Jewish Democratic Council, noted today. "The book outlines, in no uncertain terms, that the goal of the 'faith-based' domestic agenda espoused by Governor Bush is indeed taxpayer-funded proselytization of the poor. When Governor Bush - in his forward - calls this book 'a blueprint for government' and 'an approach I share,' he does a better job than we could ever hope to do to of showing just how out of touch he is with the Jewish community and all Americans who treasure their religious liberty and the First Amendment of the Constitution."
So, we have some non-Christians who clearly feel threatened. Why? And what is the Olasky connection? I'd referenced Didion's "God's Country" previously. When you get some spare time, take a good careful read....
Quote:
Yet the phrase "compassionate conservatism" describes a specific and deeply radical experiment in social rearrangement, the aim of which was defined by Governor Bush, in his acceptance speech at the Republican convention in Philadelphia, with sufficient vagueness to signal the troops without alerting the less committed: what he meant by compassionate conservatism, he said, was "to put conservative values and conservative ideas into the thick of the fight for justice and opportunity." Marvin Olasky, the journalism professor at the University of Texas who has been a Bush adviser since 1993 and is the author of the seminal work on the subject, The Tragedy of American Compassion[1] (this was the 1992 book that Newt Gingrich received as a Christmas present from William J. Bennett in 1994 and promptly recommended to all Republican members of Congress), and of this year's Compassionate Conservatism,[2] has been more forthright. "Compassionate conservatism is neither an easy slogan nor one immune from vehement attack," he advises readers on page one of Compassionate Conservatism:
It is a full-fledged program with a carefully considered philosophy. It will face in the twenty-first century not easy acceptance but dug-in opposition. It will have to cross a river of suspicion concerning the role of religion in American society. It will have to get past numerous ideological machine-gun nests. Only political courage will enable compassionate conservatism to carry the day and transform America.
The source of this "river of suspicion" and these "ideological machine-gun nests" becomes clear on reading the text, which is largely devoted to detailing a 1999 road trip during which Olasky, who before "God found me and changed me when I was twenty-six" had wrestled first with atheism ("I was bar mitzvahed at thirteen and an atheist by fourteen") and then with the Communist Party USA ("What if Lenin is wrong? What if there is a God?"), introduces his fourteen-year-old son, Daniel, to anti-poverty programs in Texas, the Midwest, and the Northeast. The drift soon emerges. "God's in charge," a retired couple who run a community center in South Dallas tell Olasky and Daniel. "I had to learn that God's in charge," they are told by a former user of heroin and cocaine who now runs the day-to-day operation of a recovery center in Minneapolis. A teacher at an evangelical summer school in Dallas explains how "curriculum is cleverly tied" to a pending mountain field trip, for example by assigning "Bible passages concerning mountains, eagles, and hawks."
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 10:43 am
fishin and sozobe

it occurs to me that perhaps this discussion on church/state ought to continue elsewhere. It's not a simple discussion and will, if we continue it in necessary depth, take over this thread. I believe Tres started such a thread, though I haven't had time to look yet.
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 10:48 am
NEW TOPIC: Separation of Church and State
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 11:06 am
blatham wrote:
Monroe Doctrine...there is no licence here for either hegemony or pre-emption. In fact, the constraints the US is obliged to acknowledge are contained in it...

You managed to only quote one line from that entire page and ignored the rest of the document.

"What came to be known as the Monroe Doctrine was originally embodied in several paragraphs of the annual message delivered to CONGRESS on Dec. 2, 1823, by President Monroe. The doctrine had four elements. The first was the proposition that "the American continents, by the free and independent condition which they have assumed and maintain, are henceforth not to be considered as subjects for future colonization by any European powers." The second was the nearly corollary proposition that nations in the Western Hemisphere were inherently different from those of Europe republics by nature rather than monarchies. The third element was a statement that the United States would regard as a threat to its own peace and safety any attempt by European powers to impose their system on any independent state in the Western Hemisphere. By implication, the United States thus declared itself the protector of independent nations in the Americas. The final element, complementing these assertions of the separateness of the Americas, reaffirmed that the United States would not interfere in European affairs."

Why did you only concern yourself with the last line and not the other points in the doctrine?

Quote:
Manifest Destiny... I'll assume you aren't defending this rather arrogant and nutty messianist idea, and you are just making the much easier claim that the Bush administration is a believer in, and proponent of it, thus is off the hook (on the charge of uniqueness) because others held the same position earlier. Well....who previously?

Did I say I was defending it? Look, you've made the claims here and seem to have taken up the mantle of identifying/proving that Bush's actions are unique. You can either do that or not but attacking me doesn't get you there.

Who previously? Apparently you didn't read the 2nd document you referenced either. It lists several right there.

"Although the movement was named in 1845, the philosophy behind Manifest Destiny always existed throughout American History. For example, in 1818 Andrew Jackson, while taking a broad interpretation of vague instructions from President Monroe, led military forces into the Floridas during the Florida crisis."

"In the months following the Spanish-American War, the idea of expansionism grew stronger across the United States. In Congress, legislators called for the annexation of all Spanish territories. Some newspapers even suggested the annexation of Spain itself. Expansionists such as Roosevelt, former President Harrison, and Captain Mahan argued for creating an American empire."

Quote:
Then you quote a Clinton staffer, I guess to suggest that if a Democrat says nice things about the US's role in the world, it must be so.

So when Bush's staff says something it's a terrble fact that must be crushed but when a prior President's staff says it it can be ignored? Is that your argument? YOU are the one that made the statement the US hegemony is unique to the Bush administration yet when faced with the FACT that the prior administration regconized hegemony you dismiss it?

The political affiliation of the speaker is irrelevant to me. YOU are the one making the claim this is unique to Bush. I demonstrated that the claims of US hegemony existed prior to Bush ever taking office and gave both historical and recent examples. You can either retract or modify your original statement but you haven't countered the point of fact.

Quote:
Well, aside from the 'see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil' three monkey thing...

So you basically are saying that you've lost the point and have to resort to mere insults?

Quote:
What is entirely avoided here is Bush's speech at West Point (that the guiding purpose of US strategy after the end of the Cold War should be to prevent the emergence of any 'peer competitor' anywhere in the world. It also avoids acknowledging the 1992 'think tank' document by Wolfowitz, Perle, and the rest of Rumsfeld crowd. This IS new. This doctrine has no previous voice in US adminstrations.

Well, if that is what is new then why has it taken this long for you to finally say that instead of throwing out a lot of nonsense? I'll happily acknowldge or refute the points. I have no interest in the Bush administration here.. But the onus is on YOU to make your points to back your claims. I'm not going to go about making your points for you.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 11:35 am
blatham wrote:
On church and state you avoid discussing the modern influence of the evangelical community in the party and in American politics. Perhaps you are doing the 'devil's advocate' thing, as you've acknowledged (to Dys) previously the notable influence of this wing in the party. If you are, I don't think it terribly valuable. Evangelists have been around for centuries, but never so powerful an influence. Perhaps in a hundred years, the Scientologists will have replaced them in power and influence. I suggest this is not likely to be a grand thing.

What is irrelevant here in THIS DISCUSSION is whether you believe it's grand thing or not. The focus here was supposed to be on "moving lines" and how those movements are or aren't unique to Bush's administration. You claim I avoid discussing the modern influence of the evangelical community but that hasn't been the case. I quite clearly mentioned that very rise in the context of the last 50 or so years. But 50 years is NOT "unique" to the current administration is it?

Yes, to an extent I have been playing devil's advocate in the hopes it would be quite useful. I had hoped it would prod you into identifying things that are in fact UNIQUE to Bush 43. You, on the other hand, while saying that Bush 43's Administration is unique, haven't narrowed the scope of your comments to isolate what the unique parts are.

Quote:
The important point is not how or why they got organized, but rather what consequences are, or are likely to, follow.

NO! The important point relevant to THIS discussion is how the Religious Right's influence is unique to the current Administration and how they may be influencing the movement of the lines by this administration as mentioned previously. What may or may not happen in the future beyond this adminsitration is ENTIRELY beyond the scope of this discussion.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 12:00 pm
TW,

Bush 43? What does the number 43 refer to? I've seen this several times during the last few weeks and it's a puzzler to me.

George,

Nice anaylsis.
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 12:05 pm
Asherman - That was not I, that was fishin', but "Bush 43" refers to GWB, the 43rd President of the United States. (His father, Bush 41, being the 41st.)
0 Replies