The Doublespeak Begins Already

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 02:22 pm
check out the highlighted part....

Bush Outlines Agenda for Second Term

Email this Story

Nov 4, 1:45 PM (ET)

By JENNIFER LOVEN

(AP) President Bush speaks during a news conference, Thursday, Oct. 4, 2004, in the Eisenhower Executive...
Full Image

Google sponsored links
Election Results - Happy With The Results? Respond And You Can Get Free $50 Gift Card. aff
www.willkerrywin.com

Throw a Punch at Bush - Bush vs. Kerry Boxing! Online Boxing Game
registration.winsweepstakes.

WASHINGTON (AP) - A minority president no more, President Bush sketched a second-term agenda Thursday that includes fighting the worldwide war on terror while seeking tax and Social Security reform.

"I earned capital in the campaign - political capital - and now I intend to spend it," he said at a news conference 24 hours after securing his second term.

Bush also pledged to pursue the foreign policy that was a flashpoint in the presidential campaign and has sparked criticism by some American allies in Europe.

"There is a certain attitude in the world by some that says that it's a waste of time to try to promote free societies in parts of the world," he said, a reference to Iraq in particular. "I've heard that criticism."

(AP) President Bush speaks to reporters at his first press conference following his re-election at the...
Full Image

"Remember, I went to London to talk about our vision of spreading freedom throughout the greater Middle East and I fully understand that that might rankle some and be viewed by some as folly."

Told by a reporter that Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat had died, Bush said he intended to "continue to work for a free Palestinian state that's at peace with Israel." Later reports said that Arafat, in a coma in Paris, was still alive.

Bush sidestepped questions about changes in his Cabinet and potential vacancies in the Supreme Court, where Chief Justice William Rehnquist recently disclosed he was undergoing treatment for thyroid cancer.

"I haven't made any decisions on the Cabinet yet," Bush said. Nor about his top staff, he added. Changes are widely expected in both, and senior aides said Attorney General John Ashcroft was likely to submit his resignation before Bush's inauguration for a second term on Jan. 20.

As for the nation's highest court, Bush said, "There's no vacancy for the Supreme Court and I will deal with a vacancy when there is one."

(AP) President Bush arrives at his press conference at the Eisenhower Executive Office Building of the...
Full Image

The president seemed relaxed as he took questions, the uncertainty of a hardfought campaign behind him. He joked with reporters at several points and asked for a show of hands on how many of them would stay in their jobs while he remained in his.

Bush fielded questions after securing re-election in a campaign framed by the war in Iraq and economic issues at home. Nearly complete returns gave him 51 percent of the popular vote - a contrast to 2000, when he lost the popular vote but won the Electoral College.

For the second straight day, he pledged to reach out to those who opposed his re-election.

"The campaign over, Americans are expecting a bipartisan effort and results. I will reach out to every one who shares our goals," he said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 756 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 02:25 pm
Fun little link:

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/special/president/press.pundits/results.html

Apparently people aren't too confident in the whole 'uniting' thing. Vote for yerself and see...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 02:41 pm
Four more years of abject failure. Is America truly ready for this?

http://www.democraticunderground.com/images/homepage/20041104_independent.jpg
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 02:44 pm
Quote:
"The campaign over, Americans are expecting a bipartisan effort and results. I will reach out to every one who shares our goals," he said.

Yikes!!! What doublespeak? Translation: Either you're with us, or against us.

If anything, at least Bush is consistent.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 02:45 pm
I'm sure those are marks he's used to seeing.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 12:33 am
(He's got Tom Ridge to "reach out" FOR the dissenters.)

Note the consistency in what W does with "capital"... he SPENDS it.

Generations of Americans worked (and died) to amass our "capital" of International GoodWill...
W squandered it all in one term.

I guess W thinks that "investment" is best reserved for venues such as Professional Sports teams, Energy Futures speculation and Petro-resource Development Support Services.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 08:10 am
Magus wrote:
Note the consistency in what W does with "capital"... he SPENDS it.

And usually on a poor investment.
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 08:18 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Fun little link:

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/special/president/press.pundits/results.html

Apparently people aren't too confident in the whole 'uniting' thing. Vote for yerself and see...

Cycloptichorn

This link might be of some use if it used both sides.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 10:06 am
It remains my way or the highway. The nation is now devided not by issues but by religion. Have we become Europe of the 16th century.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 10:08 am
au1929 wrote:
It remains my way or the highway. The nation is now devided not by issues but by religion. Have we become Europe of the 16th century.

well there has been some progress...we can buy woodchuck shaped dildos on line.....
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 10:10 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
au1929 wrote:

well there has been some progress...we can buy woodchuck shaped dildos on line.....

Embarrassed Laughing
0 Replies