IMMIGRATION

gav

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 12:46 pm
Ok, some of you guys think that non-citizens should allowed to own property?. So does that mean that even though I'm here LEGALLY, and refuse to take US citizenship, I shouldn't be entitled to owning my own property? I'm contributing as much to this country as the average US citizen so I dont see why some should think I don't deserve to own land!!!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 12:50 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
A huge amount of U.S. real estate is owned or controlled by foreign interests. I'm not sure what I think about non citizens owning property here.

Americans own a lot of property in countries they are not citizens of.

How do you feel about that?

Me, I think it's just fine. Owning property generally shouldn't be tied to citizenship.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 12:53 pm
Neither Craven nor Gav read the whole thread I think. I don't see anybody saying that non citizens should not own property in the U.S.; however, at some point I do think the U.S. should retain a controlling interest just like retaining the controlling block of stock in a corporation.

The question is not people who are here legally, citizens or not. The question is what should our policy be toward those who are here illegally.
0 Replies

gav

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 01:04 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
I'm not sure what I think about non citizens owning property here. I don't think that would be allowed in many other countries. .

Well Foxfyre, yer getting pretty close to it my friend!!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 01:05 pm
Yes, but you are drawing conclusions of intent that aren't there Gav. You will see that if you consider what else I have posted.
0 Replies

gav

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 01:06 pm
Did you know that even if you are here illegally you can still pay taxes? Now how f**kin ironic is that? "We'll take your tax dollars off you, but if we catch you we're deporting you!!!" Confused
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 01:23 pm
Well right now we don't seem to be deporting anybody. You said you were here in the country legally Gav. How difficult was it to get a work visa or education visa or whatever it was you came in on? You are abiding by U.S. law. But what if after going through the process of getting here legally, some illegal pushed you out of your job or out of your class? Is that okay with you? Should it be okay with any of us?

This discussion is not about the worthiness of people but what a sound immigration policy should be. The Libertarians say have completely open borders but provide no services to non citizens. Some would say let anybody in and everybody here is entitled to the same rights, privileges, and benefits as everybody else. And some say there has to be a happy medium in there somewhere.

I would like to find that happy medium.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 01:23 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Neither Craven nor Gav read the whole thread I think. I don't see anybody saying that non citizens should not own property in the U.S.

Nor do you see me claiming as much. <shrugs>
0 Replies