Let's get into vegies & fruit!

Wy

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 01:31 am
'm gonna barge in here, almost time for bed (actually way past time, but here I am anyhow)... I, too, should eat more fruits and veggies. I bought a box of clementines today, that should help -- I love them for a while, then get tired... What are silverbeets? I love regular beets, just found a recipe for roasted beets in an orange-ginger sauce with a pistachio garnish in today's paper. I think I'll take it to the Thanksgiving dinner/potluck I'm going to. The dish, not the receipt.

msolga, part of the problem is we're just getting the nice winter veggies and you're looking toward spring (I'm cold, I'm jealous)... I went to a friend's house last weekend and she served the best lentil soup I've ever had (I'm not a great fan of lentil soup but this was delicious) and, among other things, a pomegranate! She just peeled it and put the seeds in a bowl on the table with a spoon. We all took some and nibbled... it was so good. Are there other ways to serve them? I've always just bought one and hogged it. Smile

Some people said you weren't supposed to EAT them, just suck out the juice and spit the rest out -- that eating them is what got (what was her name???) Demeter's daughter in trouble. Anybody else hear that?

I remember -- Ceres! (First year Latin comes to the rescue again...)

Anyhow, off to bed... see y'all tomorrow.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 01:33 am
ossobuco wrote:
gotcha, Olga, but now I am weary, yesterday was long, ya know. And today is longer, sort of like art.

See you tomorrow..

<hug, hug, stroke, stroke> .... I understand osso, I understand! Sad
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 01:41 am
dyslexia wrote:
tofu is neither a veggie nor a fruit, it's a secondary construction adhesive. I take Tums for Balsamic, works every time.

Love tofu, too, dys! With lots of chinese greens & garlic, chili & whatever!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 01:44 am
CalamityJane

"Try a salad made from cooked asparagus and strawberries,
tastes excellent."

Really? Surprised I might just try it! Any added embellishments?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 01:48 am
shewolfnm

What is Braggs liquid aminos? I ask from another country. Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 01:59 am
Wy wrote:
... What are silverbeets?.

Wy

Silverbeets are also known as "Swiss Chard" .... big, green leafy things on stalks. A larrikin substitute for spinach in some recipes. Does that help?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 02:09 am
Wy wrote:
...msolga, part of the problem is we're just getting the nice winter veggies and you're looking toward spring (I'm cold, I'm jealous)... I went to a friend's house last weekend and she served the best lentil soup I've ever had (I'm not a great fan of lentil soup but this was delicious) and, among other things, a pomegranate! She just peeled it and put the seeds in a bowl on the table with a spoon. We all took some and nibbled... it was so good. Are there other ways to serve them? I've always just bought one and hogged it. Smile

Some people said you weren't supposed to EAT them, just suck out the juice and spit the rest out -- that eating them is what got (what was her name???) Demeter's daughter in trouble. Anybody else hear that?

Pomegranate? Tell me more, anyone who knows! I thought they were just wonderful still life subjects for artists! A mystery to me, a total mystery .... Confused

Hey, lentil soup is great, any time!

Wy, any suggestions are appreciated ... no matter how our seasons conflict! I will experience winter again, before too long, I'm certain! :wink: Very Happy
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:04 am
Ooh, pomegranates are wonderful. Under that rosy skin are myriad jeweltoned seeds, each a little sac of wonderful juice. The little wonders are attached to a very convoluted inside -- if you just cut the pom in half you'll lose a lot of juice.

I peel them carefully and break the seeds out into a bowl. One will give you a taste. A handful will be a burst of sunshine, followed by a (to me anyhow) satisfying crunch.

And use a glass bowl, so you can pick it up and admire the light shining through!

All the lentil soup I've had has been thick and pasty. This was more of a broth type soup. It's funny, I love bean soup (especially the recipe called Senate Bean Soup) but I can't stand split pea or, until the other day, lentil soups...
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:45 am
msolga wrote:
CalamityJane

"Try a salad made from cooked asparagus and strawberries,
tastes excellent."

Really? Surprised I might just try it! Any added embellishments?

Not really, except I squeeze some juice from an orange over it.
If you like to add salt or pepper, go ahead, I prefer the plain
version.

By the way, the juice of a Pomegranates is very good too. Just
roll the Pomegranate really hard on the counter, so the seeds get
squished and then put a straw in it and drink.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 10:34 am
My recent favorite vegetable is swiss chard. I've been picking up the one with sort of apricot/gold stems, but I like red chard too. I use it in my pasta recipe that involves sauteing the chard in butter or olive oil (I usually use olive oil, and sometimes add garlic, sometimes add chili pepper flakes), cooking the pasta such as farfalle or penne, draining it, putting it into pan with chard, adding a couple of tablespoons of ricotta and a topping of grated parmigiano. Best piping hot...

have also put it in an ossobuco recipe...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 07:19 pm
ossobuco wrote:
My recent favorite vegetable is swiss chard. I've been picking up the one with sort of apricot/gold stems, but I like red chard too. I use it in my pasta recipe that involves sauteing the chard in butter or olive oil (I usually use olive oil, and sometimes add garlic, sometimes add chili pepper flakes), cooking the pasta such as farfalle or penne, draining it, putting it into pan with chard, adding a couple of tablespoons of ricotta and a topping of grated parmigiano. Best piping hot...

have also put it in an ossobuco recipe...

Oh, NICE, osso! Very Happy I'm gonna make it! Yum. Love silverbeet/chard! I've got everything I need for your recipe apart from some fresh ricotta. So off the the Mediterranean Wholesaler's this afternoon!

The yellow & red stemmed chard are the ones I grow in my garden. They're called "rainbow chard" at the plant nursery. I planted 6 yesterday. They're so pretty to look that at I plant them in my flower beds, amongst the flowers, herbs & bushes. Actually, I haven't room, nor a desire for a separate vegie/herb garden, so they're part of my overall " decore plan". Laughing
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 07:34 pm
Wy wrote:
Ooh, pomegranates are wonderful. Under that rosy skin are myriad jeweltoned seeds, each a little sac of wonderful juice. The little wonders are attached to a very convoluted inside -- if you just cut the pom in half you'll lose a lot of juice.

I peel them carefully and break the seeds out into a bowl. One will give you a taste. A handful will be a burst of sunshine, followed by a (to me anyhow) satisfying crunch.

And use a glass bowl, so you can pick it up and admire the light shining through!

All the lentil soup I've had has been thick and pasty. This was more of a broth type soup. It's funny, I love bean soup (especially the recipe called Senate Bean Soup) but I can't stand split pea or, until the other day, lentil soups...

Wy

Obviously preparing the pomegranate to eat is a highly aesthetic experience! Smile I wonder where I can find some here? I'd love to try them!

There's lentil soup & lentil soup! Laughing I don't go for the thick & pasty varieties, either. Mad Sludge! I make a very simple Turkish one with green/brown lentils, frying onion first, with garlic & spinach (or silverbeet, if there's lots in the garden). Then a little splash of olive oil just before serving. Nice, I promise!
And of course, there are red lentils, too. I have a wonderful, quite spicey recipe (with chard, potatoes & other vegies) courtesy of Anna Thomas, from years ago. Tell me if you're interested & post it.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 07:39 pm
Oh, & I've just gotta tell you all: It's rained all night & it's still coming down steadily. It's WET out there! My little silverbeet/rainbow chard seedling & salad greens are happily waving their little leaves heavenward! It was worth getting soaked to plant them yesterday. Very Happy
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 08:56 am
msolga, that's just what this was -- a Turkish version of lentil soup. My friends just got back from three weeks in Turkey and brought the recipe and instructions back with them. The soup alone was very delicate, but M said to sprinkle some of the ground peppers (they brought back) and squeeze in a little lemon -- wow!

I'm gonna have to try swiss chard -- heard of it all my life but never had it (yet)... Osso's receipt sounds good. I wonder what would happen if I asked the produce man in my supermarket for silverbeet! Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 01:03 am
Swiss chard/silverbeet (depending on where you live) is a very useful little vegie, Wy. If you have a garden, it's also extremely easy to grow! Very Happy And is very hardy, too. It can cope with quite a bit of neglect! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 07:49 am
This soup, I absolutely guarantee, is wonderful!
And it's great for winter! Very Happy
It's a lentil+ vegie soup from Anna Thomas' book, From Anna's Kitchen.
This is a big soup -it will yield 12 - 15 servings, but trust me, it's well worth the trouble!

Guillermina's Lentil soup:

450 g (1lb) lentils (red or brown, but I prefer the red in this recipe)
2 tsp salt
3 medium carrots
2 celery stalks
small bunch fresh coriander*
6 spring onions
8-10 swiss chard leaves, chopped*
575 (1 1/2 lb potatoes
2/3 ripe tomatoes
1 large red or green pepper
3-4 leeks, white part only, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons cumin seeds
freshly ground black pepper
pinch of cayenne
juice of 1 lemon

Boil the lentils in 3-4 litres (6 pints) of water, with a teaspoon of salt, for about 30 minutes

Meanwhile peel & slice carrots, trim & slice the celery, prepare the coriander (discarding the stems), slice the spring onions, prepare the chard leaves (removing the tough part of the stems & chop leaves), cut potatoes in 1.5 (1/4 inch) dice, peel & coarsely chop the tomatoes, seed & coarsely dice the pepper, clean & chop the leeks.

Heat the olive oil in a medium-sized pan & saute the leeks, spring onions & garlic in it, stirring often, until beginning to colour. Add the chard & cook a few minutes more.Then add the saute mixture, as well as the other vegetables & another tsp salt, to the lentils. Continue simmering the soup for 30 minutes.

Toast cumin seeds in a small pan, stirring constantly, until they release their fragrance. Grind them in a mortar & add to the soup, along with freshly ground black pepper to taste, a good pinch of cayenne & the juice of a lemon.

Simmer the soup for a few minutes more, or until all the vegetables are tender. Taste & correct the seasoning if needed.

* If coriander isn't available in winter you could substitute with parsley.
* Of course, you could substitute the Swiss chard/silverbeet for spinach. (fresh or frozen)

Yum!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 08:15 am
Another tried & true favourite:

Zucchini & silverbeet soup:
(serves 8)

3 tbsp olive oil
60g pancetta (optional)*
1 large onion, chopped
2 leeks, well rinsed & sliced, both white & green tender parts
4 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
6 cups degreased chicken or vegetable stock*
I kg zucchini, trimmed & coarsely chopped
1 large potato, peeled & cut into 1 cm cubes
1/2 cup chopped continental (flat) parsley
250 silverbeet leaves (half a bunch) well rinsed & chopped
salt & freshly ground black pepper
lemon wedges to serve

Combine oil, pancetta, onion, leek & garlic in a large, heavy-based saucepan & cook very slowly until the vegetables are tender but not brown, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add stock, zucchini, potato & parsley & simmer till the potatoes are tender, about 20-30 minutes.

Add the silverbeet & season with salt & pepper. Cook a further 1 minute & remove from heat. If a thicker soup is required, remove 1/2 the soup & blend, then return to the pot & heat through. Serve in heated soup bowls, with lemon wedges separately.

Variation: for a crunchier soup, saute a few chopped zucchini in a little olive oil 7 stir in before serving.

* I've made this soup both with & without the pancetta, also with both chicken & vegetable stocks & the results have been good. If you haven't pancetta, perhaps some bacon could be substituted.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 08:22 am
Oh, & both those soup recipes freeze well, so it's well worth making the whole recipe/s & freezing what's left over for later. (That's if you're not living in a big household. Smile )
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 08:24 am
I'm a big fan of purple kale, and white kale. The stuff usually costs me about $3 a bunch though. Regular green kale is cheaper. So what do I see every day walking through the city? Flowering kale being used as decorative plants to pretty up the public spaces. I'm thinking of digging it all up and making caldo verde. If you are going to use decorative plants in the city, they really shouldn't be edible.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 08:32 am
I've never cooked with Kale, cav .... I'll check out my recipe books & see what they suggest! Very Happy
0 Replies