Former Foreign Minister slams Trump

vikorr

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2017 02:32 am
Interesting article in the Courier Mail today. So far, Evans assessment of Trump agrees with my assessment of Trump.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/national/evans-slams-trump-as-the-most-illinformed-illprepared-ethicallychallenged-and-psychologically-illequipped-president-in-us-history/news-story/b7f2f1641eb17a9e92f60fb5421e1ef2<br />
Quote:
Evans slams Trump as the most ‘ill-informed, ill-prepared, ethically-challenged and psychologically ill-equipped’ president in US history

A LEADING Australian foreign policy expert has delivered a devastating assessment of US President Donald Trump’s ability to handle the growing global tensions with Russia and North Korea.

Former Foreign Affairs Minister Gareth Evans has labelled President Trump the most “ill-informed, ill-prepared, ethically-challenged and psychologically ill-equipped” president in the US history.

In an address to the National Press Club today, Professor Evans said Mr Trump was “personally driven by instinct and impulse” and “unhampered by knowledge or judgment”.

And anyone hoping that “the adults” had regained charge of US foreign policy was “making a very big gamble”.

“He has led an administration acting so far manifestly on the basis of postures and not of policies,” Prof Evans said.

“While the commentariat is beginning to find some comforting early signs that the adults are regaining charge of foreign policy in the United States, I have to say that anyone betting on this administration delivering consistent, coherent, constructive and decent outcomes over the next four years is making a very big gamble indeed.”...

roger

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2017 02:38 am
@vikorr,
Evans slams Trump as the most ‘ill-informed, ill-prepared, ethically-challenged and psychologically ill-equipped’ president in US history.

That's, ah, fairly explicit, isn't it?
snood

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2017 06:19 am
@roger,
Explicit and accurate. But I'm gobsmacked at the noise being made about his sabre rattling "leadership" . Why isn't it obvious that he will do ANYTHING - up to and including start war with N. Korea - to avoid the truth coming out about his Russian ties? Will I have to witness the outrage and actions against this man coming only AFTER he's instigated a cataclysmic confrontation?
camlok

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2017 11:59 am
@snood,
Quote:
Will I have to witness the outrage and actions against this man coming only AFTER he's instigated a cataclysmic confrontation?

That's how things work for the US, Snood. Surely you aren't trying to pretend that this is a one off. Notice how it's always cataclysmic for the poor defenseless nations but all you ever hear from Americans is how they suffered from their war crimes and terrorism.

This is demented, this is bonkers, daft, deranged, loony, ... and you all just keep on sailing on, pretending to believe there is something good about America.

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2017 07:03 pm
@snood,
I'm just hoping there's going to be an impeachment soon.
http://www.politico.eu/article/donald-trump-impeached-you-can-bet-on-it-bookies-odds/
http://thehill.com/opinion/letters/327279-low-approval-will-drive-trump-to-resign-before-he-is-impeached
camlok

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2017 07:07 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Why, Cicerone? Is it because he isn't slaughtering innocents fast enough for you? Give illegal invasions a chance.

None of your presidents have ever let you down before.
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2017 02:12 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
...to avoid the truth coming out about his Russian ties...

Tell me one single inappropriate thing any member of the Trump team has said to any person from Russia. Quote or paraphrase it please.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2017 02:23 pm
@camlok,
Because Trump is unfit to be president. That's proven by his appointment of family members who don't have any experience in important positions of the administration.
InfraBlue

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2017 02:33 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

snood wrote:

Tell me one single inappropriate thing any member of the Trump team has said to any person from Russia. Quote or paraphrase it please.

Trump told all of Russia, with the implication being their governmental hackers,
"Russia, if you’re listening, I hope you’re able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing. I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press.”
Kolyo

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2017 05:35 pm
Oh sure, he says that now.

If he'd spoken up in October, maybe he could have swung the election !

I mean Kasich and McCain not voting for Trump didn't matter, but the former foreign minister from Australia might just have tipped the scales.
camlok

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2017 06:15 pm
@cicerone imposter,
He's lining up to slaughter lots of Koreans. How could you guys ask for anything more from one of your presidents? It's always kept you content in the past.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2017 06:59 am
@InfraBlue,
Context is fun

Quote:
TRUMP: I have nothing to do with Putin. I've never spoken to him. I know nothing about him other than he will respect me. He doesn't respect our president. If it is Russia, which it probably is not, nobody knows who it is.

But if it is Russia, it's really bad for a different reason. Because it shows how little respect they have for our country when they would hack into a major party and get everything. But it would be interesting to see -- I will tell you this, Russia, if you're listening, I hope you're able to find the 30,000 e-mails that are missing. I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press. Let's see if that happens. That will be next./quote]

Both sides do it, especially in a campaign. One sound bite can sometimes make or break a campaign. Remember the "YARGH!" heard round the world? This slid right off Trump like he was made of the new copper coating crap. Maybe that is why he is orange.
vikorr

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2017 11:05 pm
@Kolyo,
Well prior to Trump's election I said to colleagues 'the only way he will win is if American politicians have completely failed their constituents'. Who would have thought the political situation in the country was so bad that Trump would win?

Mind you, here in Australia, there is also a lot of discontent with our politicians. Many minor political parties have sprung up holding views well removed from the norm of past decades.

The problem here in Australia is that the political parties:
- no longer know how to handle criticism
- are fearful of negative publicity (which differs from the above in response terms)
- have become more and more secretive
- have increasingly become about spin, without a substantial position on many things
- often avoid discussions that are important to many people
- have moved a long way away from the balance of people/business...towards more and more being about business, rather than people

That may only be scratching the surface of the problems, with the reality being many people believe they no longer represent their constituents, but rather, just themselves.

I'm guessing that feeling is stronger in the US.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2017 11:33 am
@vikorr,
Trump is a pathological liar and con. The American people voted for this con who appointed family members and Wall Street to represent his kingship.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.adn.com/opinions/national-opinions/2017/01/20/trump-packs-cabinet-with-wolves-of-wall-street/%3FoutputType%3Damp-type
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2017 03:03 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

snood wrote:

Trump told all of Russia, with the implication being their governmental hackers,
"Russia, if you’re listening, I hope you’re able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing. I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press.”

A joking statement made in public and in front of cameras. This is not the kind of secret collusion being alleged by Trump's enemies. Try again.
old europe

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2017 01:18 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
This is not the kind of secret collusion being alleged by Trump's enemies.

You got an answer to the question you asked.

Changing the question after it has been answered seems a little bit dishonest, doesn't it?
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2017 02:05 pm
@McGentrix,
So, it was appropriate?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2017 02:30 pm
@InfraBlue,
Besides the 30,000 emails, Trump pushed the Obama birther bs for 5 years. He's a mental case.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2017 03:23 am
@old europe,
old europe wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
This is not the kind of secret collusion being alleged by Trump's enemies.

You got an answer to the question you asked.

Changing the question after it has been answered seems a little bit dishonest, doesn't it?

No. I'm saying it isn't an example of what I asked for. I asked for something improper that a member of the Trump team said to a Russian. A joke told to a crowd in America during a speech doesn't qualify. A joke may be in poor taste, but it isn't improper in the sense of saying to a Russian in person or on the phone, "Here is a blueprint of the election boxes used in California and Oregon. Hopefully, your scientists can find a weakness."

I asked for something improper that a member of the Trump team said to a Russian and I was given an example of a joke which Trump said to a crowd in America. That doesn't qualify. Interestingly, no one here has been able to give me a single example of any improper communication between the Trump team and a Russian. I am still waiting for an example.
0 Replies

cameronleon

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2017 11:42 pm
Who is this guy?

Lets see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gareth_Evans_(politician)

Quote:
On 11 June 2012, Evans was named a Companion of the Order of Australia for "eminent service to international relations, particularly in the Asia Pacific Region as an adviser to governments on a range of global policy matters, to conflict prevention and resolution, and to arms control and disarmament." He had previously been made an Officer of the Order of Australia (AO) in 2001 for "service to the Australian Parliament, particularly through advancing Australia's foreign policy and trade interests, especially in Asia and through the United Nations", and has been awarded Honorary Doctorates of Laws by the University of Melbourne in 2002, Carleton University in 2005, the University of Sydney in 2008 and Queen's University Ontario in 2010. In October 2005 he and the International Crisis Group were named European and Asian 'Heroes of 2005'. In July 2008, he was selected as an inaugural fellow of the Australian Institute of International Affairs in recognition of his 'outstanding contribution to Australian international relations'. In May 2010 he was awarded the 2010 Roosevelt Institute Four Freedoms Award for Freedom from Fear for his pioneering work on the responsibility to protect concept and his contributions to conflict prevention and resolution, arms control and disarmament. In October 2011, he was presented by the Nuclear Threat Initiative, led by Sam Nunn and Ted Turner, the Amartya Sen Award 'for intrepid and creative leadership in creating momentum toward a world free of nuclear weapons'. In December 2011 Foreign Policy magazine cited him, along with Francis Deng, as one of the Top 100 Global Thinkers for 2011 "for making 'the responsibility to protect' more than academic".

Pure doo doo.

He has accomplished nothing, but collecting awards and recognition by doing nothing.

Name a single initiative of his that changed anything.

Nothing.

Adviser can be anyone, earning honors by their own kind is like public school children receiving diplomas for "good behavior" "attendance" "keeping silence in class"...

No mention of his affair, because that is his personal life, but this dude is a real politician, this is to say, many words nothing accomplished, many honors nothing done that change a little bit the course of the world.

Trump cut off the greener flag and incremented production in the US. That is change.

Trump with his own initiatives built a great financial empire, that is something accomplished.

Trump won the US elections, come on, this gentleman is a winner.

What about Evans?

I can bet that besides the ones reading this topic, no one knows about his existence beyond Australia, and tomorrow the ones who read about him have forgotten his name. He is just another loser trying to obtain his 15 minutes of fame.