Big Brother's IGNORANCE thread

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 03:26 am
http://www.worldnewsstand.net/04/Ed_Lewis/smirk2.jpg

Hail to ignorance! It prevails in America.

James Bovard, the author of Lost Rights (1994), wrote: "The anemic reasoning of many citizens on political issues is not a function of a lack of intelligence; rather, citizens lack a strong, pressing incentive to do the mental heavy lifting necessary to grasp political issues."

Bovard also wrote: "The larger the government, the more the average citizen and average voter is at the intellectual mercy of his rulers. And the more ignorant the voters, the easier it becomes for politicians to treat people like Pavlovian dogs, simply throwing out some phrase after which the citizen, reflexively, runs to vote more power to the politicians."

Adolf Hitler said: "What good fortune for the government that the people do not think."

Has there been a dumbing-down of American citizens in our schools? Are American citizens too lazy (or apathetic) to educate themselves? Are American citizens like Pavlovian dogs when it comes time to vote?

Place your examples, quotes, etc., concerning citizen ignorance here. Can ignorance (a cancer upon our society) be cured?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 903 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Montana

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 03:36 am
It's a wonder.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 07:34 am
What do you consider ignorance Debra? Oh yeah, I know, anyone voting or thinking differently than you is exhibiting ignorance right?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 07:37 am
With the most votes of any elected President in history received by GW, I wonder who the ignorant really are.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 07:42 am
woiyo wrote:
With the most votes of any elected President in history received by GW, I wonder who the ignorant really are.

I don't think dems are ignorant any more than repubs are Woiyo. The sides just have differing views on what is best for this country. And that's fine. If we all thought alike in this country we would stagnate. I don't see the point in the name calling. Debra wanted Kerry to win and it appears he did not. That does not mean half the country is ignorant and she is being stupid by making the accusation. Just as I think you are by insinuating that dems are ignorant.

I think it is high time we just admit we have different ideas and let the name calling go.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 07:44 am
I believe the media having given Bush a free ride through his whole political career has done the most to dumb down the vote. Nothing he does however criminal or stupid gets more than a passing glance, while every nit picking lie about a man like Kerry gets run endlessly into the ground.
0 Replies

primergray

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 07:50 am
Laziness, Debra, laziness....

*sigh*

~~~

I think I need to discuss something with you... I am struggling with my opinion on a certain matter, and I trust you to debate some sense into me. Is it okay for me to PM you?
0 Replies

primergray

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 07:52 am
Oops, turns out I can't send a PM. Can you PM me, Debra?

You, too, edgar?
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 08:15 am
edgarblythe wrote:
I believe the media having given Bush a free ride through his whole political career has done the most to dumb down the vote. Nothing he does however criminal or stupid gets more than a passing glance, while every nit picking lie about a man like Kerry gets run endlessly into the ground.

And yet the large majority of the print media endorsed Kerry.
0 Replies

neue regel

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 08:48 am
Right on, Larry. Excuses are short when you have to blame the media for giving 'Bush' a pass when not even two months ago, the media was fabricating stories to bring Bush down.

Pathetic....or as Dookie says, sad....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 08:58 am
primergrey - PMs aren't working.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 09:01 am
littlek wrote:
PMs aren't working.

well, it works already.

Or which message do you see?
0 Replies

primergray

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 01:33 pm
So it isn't just me - being new and all. That's what the error message said, something about being a long-term member in good standing.

Oh well.
0 Replies

A Lone Voice

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 02:09 am
Deb, was it P. Diddy, a good Democrat he, who blazed a path of intellectual clarity with his 'Vote or Die' campaign?

Or maybe it was an extreme amount of wisdom and knowledge that allowed young people to believe the Democrat's assertions that Bush was going to reinstate the draft?

Please, continue to believe that Bush voters are ignorant. Continue to run your campaigns with the idea that flyover country is filled with mindless, witless morons. Continue to turn up your nose and sniff when faced with conservative ideas and agendas.

Continue with these thoughts. It will help to make liberals and 'progressives' even more irrelevant before the next election. Very Happy
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 03:05 am
A Lone Voice wrote:
Please, continue to believe that Bush voters are ignorant. Continue to run your campaigns with the idea that flyover country is filled with mindless, witless morons.

I will. Of course, Bush voters haven't cornered the market on ignorance, but they are the greatest offenders. Not all ignorant people are morons (and visa versa).

Quote:
Continue to turn up your nose and sniff when faced with conservative ideas and agendas.

What "conservative ideas and agendas" are you referring to? Could those be the ideas and agendas that are founded on bigotry and hypocrisy? Just wondering . . . you need to be more specific.

Quote:
Continue with these thoughts. It will help to make liberals and 'progressives' even more irrelevant before the next election.

But for the "liberals" and the "progressives" that you hate so much, you would be living in the ultimate police state. Be careful what you wish for--be careful of the kind of government that you're passing onto your children and the generations that follow.
0 Replies

A Lone Voice

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 05:56 pm
Debra_Law wrote:
But for the "liberals" and the "progressives" that you hate so much, you would be living in the ultimate police state. Be careful what you wish for--be careful of the kind of government that you're passing onto your children and the generations that follow.

First, please don't use the word 'hate'. It is a lazy way to mischaracterize someone's opposing views without any foundation to do so.

Instead, use 'distrust'. That would be a better way to describe my lack of respect towards a fringe movement.

Also, 'progressives' have little room for different ideas, or any discourse from their strict, totalitarian way of looking at the world. They are the least diverse political movement in the country.

Which is why I believe the US would be in much more more danger of becoming a fascist police state with people like that in charge rather then a goverment controlled by conservatives. Remember, conservatives mistrust government and want to limit its impact on people's lives. "Progressives', however, feel it is right to use the government to shape the country in their image. Ever attend a 'progressive' college? Their lack of diversity in thoughts and ideas is quite disturbing.

Quote:
What "conservative ideas and agendas" are you referring to? Could those be the ideas and agendas that are founded on bigotry and hypocrisy? Just wondering . . . you need to be more specific.

-Accountability in public schools
-Gun rights
-Crime
-Property rights
-Free speech
-Keeping my own money

To name a few......
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 06:08 pm
Ignorance
I think most people are intelligent enough (genetically) to grasp simple concepts (such as freedom & privacy rights of others), but they don't want to think things through rationally or logically.
0 Replies

A Lone Voice

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 08:36 pm
Re: Ignorance
Debra_Law wrote:

For example, "conservative heterosexuals" believe they are morally superior to homosexuals. They believe that they may impose their views on others. They believe they may discriminate against and penalize others who are different from themselves. Modern day "Heterosexual Supremists" are no different than the "White Supremists" who discriminated against and penalized others on the basis of skin color. Yet, they are so narrow-minded that they won't acknowledge the similarity. They believe their brand of discrimination is justifiable.

Hate, intolerance, bigotry, and hypocrisy are never justifiable. At least some of us know that -- and that gives us hope.

My goodness! Stereotyping a tad wee bit, aren't we Deb? Again, this is what is frightening about the 'progressive' movement; a view of the world that is seen thru a rather narrow doorway.

I am a "conservative heterosexual", yet I do not believe I am "morally superior to homosexuals". And my previous posts in other threads prove it. We were on the same side in the most recent tiff, if you recall. Yet, with the same ignorance and narrow-minded view that you accuse others of having, you feel you can slap some bigoted labels on me?

In all your 'progressive' wisdom, you seem to be imposing your view on me, don't you think? A fringe movement that is simplistic in its thoughts and beliefs will never gain a foothold in modern American politics.

Which is a good thing.....
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 08:44 pm
The only moral superiority I have seen flaunted wears a label titled "liberal" and they tend to flaunt it in a most annoying way.
0 Replies

Steppenwolf

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 08:48 pm
McGentrix wrote:
The only moral superiority I have seen flaunted wears a label titled "liberal" and they tend to flaunt it in a most annoying way.

Nonsense. The flaunting of moral superiority is equal opportunity on this forum and throughout the nation. I always find it unfortunate that humans have eyes that point forward, for they cannot see their own faces.
0 Replies