Let's Talk 2017 New York Mayoral Race

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2017 11:22 am
For a minute, I thought I was losing my mind. Could have sworn that I made this thread already when I made my 2018 New York governor's election thread. If this is a duplicate, blame a2k's shoddy forum tagging system.

New York City mayoral election, 2017
Quote:
Democratic primary
Candidates
Declared
Sal Albanese, former City Councilman and candidate for Mayor in 1997
Eric Armstead
Tony Avella, State Senator, former City Councilman and candidate for Mayor in 2009
Michael Basch
Bill de Blasio, incumbent Mayor of New York City
Bo Dietl, former Fox News contributor and former New York City Police Department detective
Robert Gangi, activist

Withdrew
Josh Thompson, education activist (dropped out to join Republican Paul Massey's campaign)

Potential
Preet Bharara, former United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York
Rubén Díaz, Jr., Bronx Borough President
Shaun Donovan, former Director of the Office of Management and Budget and former United States Secretary of Housing and Urban Development
Harold Ford, Jr., former U.S. Representative from Tennessee's 9th congressional district
Letitia James, New York City Public Advocate
Hakeem Jeffries, U.S. Representative from New York's 8th congressional district
Melissa Mark-Viverito, Speaker of the New York City Council
Don Peebles, businessman
Christine Quinn, former Speaker of the New York City Council and candidate for Mayor in 2013
Scott Stringer, New York City Comptroller
Anthony Weiner, former U.S. Representative for New York's 9th congressional district and candidate for Mayor in 2005 and 2013
Keith L. T. Wright, State Assemblyman

Declined
Hillary Clinton, former U.S. Secretary of State, former U.S. Senator and nominee for President in 2016
Eva Moskowitz, founder and CEO of Success Academy Charter Schools

Republican primary
Candidates
Declared
Darren Dione Aquino, actor and disabled rights activist
Rocky De La Fuente, businessman, Reform Party nominee for President in 2016, Democratic candidate for President in 2016 and Democratic candidate for the U.S. Senate from Florida in 2016
Michel Faulkner, pastor and former New York Jets player
Paul Massey, businessman

Potential
John Catsimatidis, businessman and candidate for Mayor in 2013
Raymond Kelly, former NYPD Commissioner
Donald Trump Jr., businessman and son of President of the United States Donald Trump

Declined
Eric Ulrich, City Councilman

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,831 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2017 12:28 pm
@tsarstepan,
What's to talk about?

DeBozio will syphon funds from hither and yon, amassing a war chest larger than anything which has been seen before.

Oh, I know, you're gonna tell me that won't happen. To that, I say, ha!

Now on to the cast of characters.

Bo Dietl- I don't think so. For one, he used to be a Republican, changed parties for this run.. Of course he most likely won't be in the primary since, he checked off 2 boxes, Independent and Democrat. The judged said he can't run as a Dem.
Then again, in an appeal another judge might rule in his favor.

Quinn is at the top of a worthwhile organization, hoping she stays there.

Letitia James is one I'd like to see take the reigns. The down side is that she would then be leaving as Public Advocate after just one term. Much better she stay put until the next cycle.

Preet has said he has no political ambitions. I'd like him to run, but of course, he will first have to gain New York City residency. He lives in one of the counties to the north if I recall rightly.

Several from the City Council might opt to run as their second term is up this year. (Unless there's another Bloomberg type move to get a third term.

Among them, James 'Jimmy' VanBramer, Ydanis Rodriguez on the Democratic side and Stephen Matteo for the Republicans.

ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2017 12:32 pm
@tsarstepan,
Did you check under your My Topics category?
(in the lighter blue line at the top of the page)
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2017 12:04 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:

Did you check under your My Topics category?
(in the lighter blue line at the top of the page)

Of course, I checked there. Rolling Eyes
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2017 12:24 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

What's to talk about?

Call it wishful thinking. Call it, bitterness towards the establishment Democrats but the shine has worn off alleged progressives like Debuttheadsio.

Yeah. I get that kicking this incumbent ass will not be very likely.

Plus, it would be interesting to see Trump Jr enter the race, if not for the flaring media spectacle of it all.

Quote:
Unless there's another Bloomberg type move to get a third term.

There'd be open revolt if anyone tries that.

Also, imagine Anthony Wiener trying for an unimaginable *(lost track)*th chance to get back in politics?

For people who find politics a great spectator sport, I really don't understand why my recent threads are getting barely no reactions or posts.

AKA there's a lot to talk about. Did anyone actually look at the list of candidates? Most don't have a chance to even hit the eventual primary but come on?! It will be a fun election season. Laughing
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2017 12:34 pm
@tsarstepan,
Pardon me. I know you know a2k well, but sometimes one can flub up, at the least by not clicking on Send. I know you know that too.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2017 07:49 am
@tsarstepan,
De Blasio Is Definitely Not Running For President In 2020, Maybe
0 Replies