51st state?

skot182

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 01:30 pm
Is it just me, or does anyon else from the UK feel that we are infact the 51st state? Unable to vote in todays election, but dragged into any mess Mr Dubya decides to get the US into.

Also, why does our media give so much time to the US election, when there are more important matters at home...

Will people in the US be watching the British elections next year, I think not.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 632 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Idaho

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 01:43 pm
Oh, yes, many of us will be watching
Your country has been an incredible support to us and we appreciate it. I'll definitely be watching your elections.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 01:47 pm
UK has been very supportive, but you're not the 51st state - because you can't vote.

Guam is the 51st state.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 01:59 pm
Re: Oh, yes, many of us will be watching
Idaho wrote:
Your country has been an incredible support to us and we appreciate it. I'll definitely be watching your elections.

Scot...as Idaho said, "Your country HAS been an incredible support to us...."...

...however, some of us resent it.

If Tony Blair had only used some of his considerable intelligence to impede Bush's rush to war...we, and the rest of the world, might not be in the crappy position we are in right now.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 02:08 pm
Well, New Model Army seemed to think so:

51st State
New Model Army (1993)

Look out of your windows, watch the skies
Read all the instructions with bright blue eyes
Were W.A.S.P.s, proud American sons
We know how to clean our teeth and how to strip down a gun
We're the 51st state of America

Our star-spangled Union Jack flutters so proud
Over the dancing heads of the merry patriotic crowd
Tip your hat to the Yankee conqueror
We've got no reds under the bed with guns under our pillows

Here in the land of opportunity
Watch US revel in our liberty
You can say what you like
But it doesn't change anything
'Cos the corridors of power
Are an ocean away
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 02:21 pm
I hear you, Frank. I'd rather we stopped supporting the US and tried a bit harder to make the EU work properly.

Cav - good lyrics.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 02:50 pm
I thought the 51st state was the ex-pat voters? Confused Their numbers count and are many...
0 Replies

skot182

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 05:24 pm
Re: Oh, yes, many of us will be watching
Frank Apisa wrote:
Idaho wrote:

Scot...as Idaho said, "Your country HAS been an incredible support to us...."...

...however, some of us resent it.

If Tony Blair had only used some of his considerable intelligence to impede Bush's rush to war...we, and the rest of the world, might not be in the crappy position we are in right now.

The same as many of us brits feel.

Yes The US is an allie, and Im sure most if not ALL of the brits would support the US in a war along the lines of wwi and wwii, but not In iraq.

I supported the "war on terror", but now the more I see goin on in Iraq, the more i think "is it all just for political and economic gain, and not for "the people" like they said.

Hopefully bush is outof there anyway, and kerry WILL keep the US safe, but not ruin the rest of the world doing so.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 05:32 pm
Complain all you want... but from what I've read, Tony Blair will continue to lead the Labour Party and has about as much chance of losing his job as Putin... (only without cheating). Personally, I envy you your Tony Blair. I'm guessing you don't represent the majority in the UK... though you'll be in good company on this website. :wink:

Welcome to A2K!
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 06:00 pm
Many peple in the UK would like to see the back of Bush and Blair, except we (rightly) have no say in the former, and little choice in the latter. We choose the party, and the party chooses the Prime Minister. And right now, there is no opposition to Labour - the Tories are in a right mess and the Liberals are just too small. Perhaps Iraq will have changed a few people's minds about Tony.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 06:00 pm
PS. Welcome scot182!
0 Replies