What Can We Do To Assist Bush Supporters Tomorrow?

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 07:33 am
Tom Dispatch brought out a very important point at the bottom of his Nov. 1 blog entry... Bush supporters will need deprogramming.

Quote:

http://www.tomdispatch.com/index.mhtml?pid=1967

Any idea what we can do to assist with this deprogramming? Anyone know how this is done? Is there a historical precedent for this that we can follow?

I'm very concerned about them.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 712 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 07:53 am
Squinney-I think that you are painting with too broad a brush. Yes, there are some Bush supporters, mostly from the radical, religious right, who tend to have cultish tendencies, which behave like fringe groups of every political persuasion. I don't think that it is fair, or correct, to use that small group as characteristic of an entire cohort of voters.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 07:56 am
I find it very interesting, as the 'cult of personality' has so little to do with Dubya. It's all about his handlers and spin artists, and yes, it's a bit scary. I have many friends here in the not so frozen north who are very erudite political analysts, some who work in the field even. Some are conservatives, some liberal. One thing that unites them is the ability to carry on a political discussion without resorting to rhetoric, sadly, an increasingly large problem on A2K's political boards these days.

However, after reading through the cited article and the blog, I have to come out in favour of Bush. Only Bush can deprogram Bush worshippers. So, ladies, no more panties, please. Raw poontang will break the bonds of any cult, and that's a fact. Nekkid chicks will break the 'American Taliban' as well. Oh sure, they talk a good game, but all dey's thinkin' about is that burkha coming off.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 07:59 am
Deprogramming generally involves abduction or isolation. The intervention will consist almost entirely of dialogue and questions. Rather than using character assassination, the history of the leader and organization are examined quite objectively, using their own literature and other historical sources, and perhaps any good journalism on the subject (newspaper or magazine articles, books, film documentaries, etc.). The exit-counselor allows the member to challenge the validity of the critical evidence, and is already prepared to further demonstrate the truthfulness of what has been said. The subject matter is not changed until the matter at hand is resolved to some extent, nor does the counselor allow the member to divert the discussion to avoid facing the facts. Very Happy By the end of the third day, enough information will have been discussed and enough dialogue will have ensued that the member will recognize many errors in his own perception of the organization. Shocked
If the member has made it through the three days or so, he will not likely return to the organization except in attempt to enlighten others of what he has learned. :wink:
It is necessary to follow up for several reasons:

The emotional ties in the organization (friends) are still very strong at this stage
Loneliness and disillusionment are strong factors causing a desire to go back to the cult
Lingering doubts about their new decision remain for awhile
Confusion and disorientation about the future haunts them Laughing

Healing of the ex-REPUBLICAN is an ongoing process, and sometimes takes many years. But they are years well spent when it involves someone we truly love! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 08:09 am
imagine ol Rush limbaugh, hed implode.

As far as my GOP friends, most are actually quite sane people and are mostly convinced about the "safety" issue and they want the stock market to rebound better. 9all these are Bush promises)

There are a few of my friends who are rabid supporters. They are now re-evaluating their relationship with me. As a DEM, Im used to our party being a rest stop for all kinds of disaparate opinions, so I never gave it much thought about how these rabid Bush supporters would begin to choose their friends based upon their politics. This is a fairly recent occurence that seems to coincide (IMHO) with the rise of the flame spitting talk radio personalities. I could be wrong but, unless presented with counter evidence, Im stickin with my theory
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 08:23 am
Laughing
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 11:09 am
Willow - Excellent advice. Obviously we will have to be patient. I will start organizing an intervention in my area right now and type up the guidelines for the DNC.

Cav and Farmer - I agree. No more panties for Republican friends! That should make for a quick break through.

Bill - Glad we could humor you today. Keep smiling!

Pheonix - Bear is not here to post today, so he left me his brush. (He assured me it was big and broad so I agreed to use it.) Very Happy
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 11:44 am
Whatever happened to Oliver Cromwell and his roundheads?
0 Replies

A Lone Voice

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 12:07 pm
I wish this guy would have been around in 2000 for the shrill, crazed Dems who needed it then.... Smile
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 12:22 pm
Certain members of my family, mostly my mother, sister-in-law, and a couple aunts, definitely fall under this broad brush you use.

I think the Bush thing is just an extension of their irrational born-again religious fervor, which is one reason I hope he goes very soon. It's tough enough to not jump up and strangle them when they start with the religious stuff, without the added annoyance of their blind devotion to a political puppet.

If Bush is re-elected, I'm sure it will just get worse. Maybe I'll just have to turn to my six-year-old niece if I want to have a rational discussion.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 12:35 pm
Kicky, that sounds like an interesting Thanksgiving gathering! Bears family tells him each year that he isn't allowed to talk politics. He doesn't listen very well, so pretty soon Aunt Nat is all flustered and nervous and the menfolk are jabbing back and forth and the kids look at each other and dart outside to escape the rising voices.

Lord knows what would happen if religion came into the picture.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 12:54 pm
Bear is probably a lot more aggressive about it than me.

It certainly is hellish. And they always give me this ominous religiously-tinged warning that if Bush doesn't get re-elected, the world is in a lot of trouble. They are really convinced that he is God's messenger.

Luckily, they aren't very political people usually, so it's only the religious discussions that I have to sit quietly through, stewing. I try not to say a word, because first, I want to respect their beliefs, however ludicrous I believe them to be, and second, as aggravating as it is to listen to, arguing with them is like repeatedly banging my head against a brick wall. I can't win either way, but staying out of it is less painful, most of the time.

Maybe I'll get lucky and once this election is over they'll all go back to just annoying me with religious discussions.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 01:12 pm
kickycan wrote:
Maybe I'll just have to turn to my six-year-old niece if I want to have a rational discussion.
A man has to know his limitations. Razz
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 01:29 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
kickycan wrote:
Maybe I'll just have to turn to my six-year-old niece if I want to have a rational discussion.
A man has to know his limitations. Razz

Laughing I hope I can count on you to keep slamming me whenever you get a chance Bill. I enjoy our little battles. I owe you one.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 01:32 pm
No worries Kicky. Just some tense days is all. You can count on me. :wink:
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 01:44 pm
Bill, just as an olive branch, here's some more ammo you can use to highlight my childish behavior.
0 Replies