War in Iraq: Will it bleed us to death?

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 05:16 am
Bin Laden: Goal is to bankrupt U.S.

Quote:
(CNN) -- The Arabic-language network Al-Jazeera released a full transcript Monday of the most recent videotape from Osama bin Laden in which the head of al Qaeda said his group's goal is to force America into bankruptcy.

Al-Jazeera aired portions of the videotape Friday but released the full transcript of the entire tape on its Web site Monday.

"We are continuing this policy in bleeding America to the point of bankruptcy. Allah willing, and nothing is too great for Allah," bin Laden said in the transcript.

He said the mujahedeen fighters did the same thing to the Soviet Union in Afghanistan in the 1980s, "using guerrilla warfare and the war of attrition to fight tyrannical superpowers."

"We, alongside the mujahedeen, bled Russia for 10 years until it went bankrupt and was forced to withdraw in defeat," bin Laden said.

He also said al Qaeda has found it "easy for us to provoke and bait this administration."

"All that we have to do is to send two mujahedeen to the furthest point east to raise a piece of cloth on which is written al Qaeda, in order to make generals race there to cause America to suffer human, economic and political losses without their achieving anything of note other than some benefits for their private corporations," bin Laden said.

Al-Jazeera executives said they decided to post the entire speech because rumors were circulating that the network omitted parts that "had direct threats toward specific states, which was totally untrue."

"We chose the most newsworthy parts of the address and aired them. The rest was used in lower thirds in graphics format," said one official.

U.S. intelligence officials Monday confirmed that the transcript made public Monday by Al-Jazeera was a complete one.

As part of the "bleed-until-bankruptcy plan," bin Laden cited a British estimate that it cost al Qaeda about $500,000 to carry out the attacks of September 11, 2001, an amount that he said paled in comparison with the costs incurred by the United States.

"Every dollar of al Qaeda defeated a million dollars, by the permission of Allah, besides the loss of a huge number of jobs," he said. "As for the economic deficit, it has reached record astronomical numbers estimated to total more than a trillion dollars.

The total U.S. national debt is more than $7 trillion. The U.S. federal deficit was $413 billion in 2004, according to the Treasury Department.

"It is true that this shows that al Qaeda has gained, but on the other hand it shows that the Bush administration has also gained, something that anyone who looks at the size of the contracts acquired by the shady Bush administration-linked mega-corporations, like Halliburton and its kind, will be convinced.

"And it all shows that the real loser is you," he said. "It is the American people and their economy."

As for President Bush's Iraq policy, Bin Laden said, "the darkness of black gold blurred his vision and insight, and he gave priority to private interests over the public interests of America.

"So the war went ahead, the death toll rose, the American economy bled, and Bush became embroiled in the swamps of Iraq that threaten his future," bin Laden said.

U.S. government officials said Friday that the tape appeared to be authentic and recently made. It was the first videotaped message from the al Qaeda leader in nearly three years.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,204 • Replies: 20
No top replies

NeoGuin

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 06:51 am
What's weirder is that we used OBL as part of this strategy in Afghanistan.

Read House Of Bush--House Of Saud and see.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 07:21 am
Freedom has no price tag.

What do you expect OBL to do if we cave into his demands? GO away and start being a productive human being?
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 10:34 am
If only Bush would put the money into that instead of Empire.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 10:49 am
I don't think OBL has any clue about the strength of the U.S. economy.

Just about any other country that spent as much on a war as the U.S. is spending in Iraq would have been bankrupt and would have rationing just to keep it's troops supplied.

On the other hand, the U.S. has been able to maintain the level of spending it has and keep it's standard of living intact.

Much like the Japanese and the Germans, OBL has made an error if he thinks that he can cause the strongest economy on Earth to go bankrupt fighting a war.

Just won't happen.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 01:27 pm
From the reports i have heard; they are rationing to keep the troops supplied.

I am not sure but I think Bush is requesting more money for Iraq.

One statement that I just can't get over is the one where people make out like it is a good that we are fighting terrorist in Iraq rather than our own streets. It is almost like we consider Iraqis expendable.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 02:26 pm
There is an old saying that goes, 'a country wll make all the war it can afford'.

Don't think we'll be drained in Iraq though... plus we haven't begun to have to sacrifice, most everyone in the states are going through daily life as they normally have been...to this point anyway.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 02:44 pm
Quote:
Freedom has no price tag.

Freedom to bomb a country that posed no threat to us and kill thousands upon thousands of innocent Iraqis does INDEED have a price tag.

That is the most idiotic statement regarding this kind of thread that I've ever heard.

Bravo, woiyo. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 02:57 pm
Dookie - If in your opinion, the Saddam regimes continual failure to comply to the terms of surrender of Gulf War 1, continual aid to terrorist groups, potential to create WMD is not a threat, then you are an ignorant moron, in my opinion.

And you wear it well.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 03:07 pm
Meanwhile, Iran overwhelmingly votes to enrich their Uranium while chanting "Death to America..."

We make a deal with Lybia's Khadafy even though we KNOW he killed hundreds of people in a blatant commercial airline terrorist attack.

And bin Laden shows up on television rested and well dressed, telling us how invading Iraq is basically helping his cause and bankrupting this country.

Gee, it sure is nice to know where your priorities are, woiyo... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 03:15 pm
Dookie - You forgot to add N. Korea! Thanks to Ms. Albright and Mr. Clinton, they now are a threat.

Yet we negotiate with Libya and you complain.

We are nearing the end of negotiations with N. Korea and you should be complaining.

The UN is negotiating with Iraq and you complain.

You complain about Iraq.

I sense a pattern here. I do not think you HAVE ANY priorities and just complain because it is the libral "thing" to do. Make sure to listen to the Democrats so you know what you next thought must be when Kerry win the election.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 03:18 pm
Quote:
Yet we negotiate with Libya and you complain.

If we negotiated with either Saddam or bin Laden, would YOU complain?

Laughing
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 03:22 pm
Dookie - 8 years of negotiations FAILED with Saddam, remember??

I am starting to think maybe you are not ignorant, but just plain stupid.

Have a nice day.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 03:25 pm
There is a fascinating interview with OBL on the PBS website, from May 1998. link

Quote:
His last words to the camera were, "It is our duty to lead people to the light."

Ali had been told to sit in the back of the room during the interview. When it was over, I went looking for him. "So, do we have a story?" I whispered when I found him. "Please tell me it wasn't just an hour of 'Praise Allah' bullshit."

"No," Ali said. "We have a very good story." I asked Ali what bin Laden had said that would make this news. "He was looking right into your face," Ali said, "and he was saying that you--you people, the Americans--would be going home from the Middle East in coffins and in boxes."

Quote:
"The war has just started. The Americans should wait for the answer."
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 03:27 pm
I am not afraid of OBL or AQ or terrorists, I am afraid our government is wasting precious time, men, materials and good will spinning like a doodle bug.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 03:27 pm
Quote:
Dookie - 8 years of negotiations FAILED with Saddam, remember??

Um, those were SANCTIONS, not negotiations. And besides, it seems as though those wmds were nowhere to be found. Rummy himself suggested that Saddam may have actually DESTROYED them. Imagine that? The sanctions seemed to have actually worked.

Boy, and you talk about ignorance... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 03:29 pm
Quote:
you--you people, the Americans--would be going home from the Middle East in coffins and in boxes.

Wow!!! And thanx to Bush, that turned out to be the case. I had no idea bin Laden was so clairvoyant.

Gee, thanx Bush.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 03:32 pm
I found it quite a chilling read, dookie.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 03:37 pm
Quote:
I found it quite a chilling read, dookie.

Attacking Iraq was exactly what bin Laden wanted and was hoping for. And now that we have attacked Iraq, he has utilized the polarizing effect it has had on our country to his distinct advantage.

Bush was never interested in consulting with those who are alot smarter than him and who would actually have a much keener perspective on the Middle East. That would include his own father and Brent Scowcroft, who both saw the futility of invading Saddam's country.

Bin Laden also knows that the Bush family is driven by oil, and that their ties to the Saudi royal family (and the Bin Laden family in particular) would serve a valuable purpose for the murderous tyrant who killed men, women and children on that fateful day, September 11, 2001.

This only represents the glaring stupidity and politically driven idiot that is the man in the Oval Office.

I find that MUCH scarrier than bin Laden's future predictions...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 03:49 pm
ehBeth wrote:
There is a fascinating interview with OBL on the PBS website, from May 1998. link

Quote:
His last words to the camera were, "It is our duty to lead people to the light."

Ali had been told to sit in the back of the room during the interview. When it was over, I went looking for him. "So, do we have a story?" I whispered when I found him. "Please tell me it wasn't just an hour of 'Praise Allah' bullshit."

"No," Ali said. "We have a very good story." I asked Ali what bin Laden had said that would make this news. "He was looking right into your face," Ali said, "and he was saying that you--you people, the Americans--would be going home from the Middle East in coffins and in boxes."

Quote:
"The war has just started. The Americans should wait for the answer."

Wow. That was fascinating. This guy is no dummy. Thanks for the link.
0 Replies