The NEXT coming Oz election thread!

msolga

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 06:43 am
Sunday, November 21, 2004. 9:25pm (AEDT)

Windsor calls for inquiry into bribe claims

The independent MP at the centre of a bribery row has called on the Prime Minister to establish a Senate inquiry into the matter.

Independent MP Tony Windsor has alleged that the Nationals Leader John Anderson, through Tamworth businessman Greg Maguire, tried to bribe him to quit his seat prior to the October election.

Mr Anderson has denied the claim and, along with Prime Minister John Howard, has called for an apology.

But Mr Windsor is standing by the bribery allegation and says he wants a Senate inquiry into the matter.

"If the Prime Minister believes that I've done something wrong he shouldn't have a problem in instigating an inquiry," Mr Windsor said.

Greens Senator Bob Brown also thinks a Senate inquiry is needed.

"If Mr Anderson thinks the matter is over he's wrong," Senator Brown said.

A federal police investigation is ongoing.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200411/s1248279.htm
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 05:34 am
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,1658,398266,00.jpg

<sigh> Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 06:36 am
<sigh> #2:

Latham slump weighs heavy on Labor
November 23, 2004 - 8:04AM

The ALP's national executive will today receive a final report into Labor's devastating election loss, as a new poll finds Mark Latham's popularity at its lowest level since he became Labor leader.

The report, looking at issues including secret party polling, campaign strategy and Mr Latham's travelling party, will be handed to Mr Latham and the rest of the 21-member national executive this afternoon.

It includes confidential polling showing swinging voters believed Mr Latham would be a better prospect after a further three years in opposition, and a review of the election advertising campaign.

Candidates, caucus members and affiliated unions have made submissions to the report, which includes a full statistical analysis of the result.

Mr Latham yesterday said he believed he would remain leader until the next election, but the Newspoll, published in The Australian newspaper today, found 42 per cent of voters were satisfied with his performance -- a drop of 12 percentage points since just before the October 9 poll.

Thirty-nine per cent of voters were dissatisfied with his performance, the poll found.

The Newspoll also found Mr Latham lagging 30 points behind John Howard as preferred prime minister, who won support from 57 per cent of voters.

- AAP

Sad
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 06:43 am
That's FUNNY!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 06:43 am
Oh - the cartoon, I mean.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 06:45 am
Any other Ozzians pissed off at the cutesie exposure bloody Pauline Hanson is getting on that damned Channel 7 dance show thing?

How's that for sleazy ratings grab?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 06:46 am
Yes! Laughing

But the ALP's predicament, Deb, the predicament ......
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 06:59 am
Arrr - they have a bit of time to try and sort stuff.

This is a conservative era - eras change....
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 07:05 am
<sigh> # 3:

Performance contracts for ALP candidates
November 23, 2004 - 6:55PM

Future Labor candidates will have to sign performance contracts and be answerable to the national executive for their success or failure in federal election campaigns.

The ALP national executive met on Tuesday to consider a final report into Labor's devastating election loss and approve a long list of recommendations to overhaul campaigning techniques and strategies.

Among the recommendations was a requirement for candidates and campaign officials to sign a milestone contract setting out benchmarks for respective performance and obligations to the campaign.

ALP national president Carmen Lawrence said the contract would force the party to be tougher on candidates and ensure they had qualities likely to make them good campaigners.

"They have to be pretty robust, they have to like people, they have to be prepared to go out and sell the message," Dr Lawrence told reporters.

"It's particularly targeted at marginal seat members, where you want members to be agreeing to do certain things like telephone canvassing ... doorknocking, for example, delivering certain outcomes in terms of fund raising and the amount of material that we're putting into the electorate.

"So we want people to sign up and to be committed and to answer to the national executive and the campaign committee for their success or failure.

"It's a way of keeping people up to the mark."

Other recommendations included development of a research strategy to identify why Labor's vote remained low, an analysis identifying voting patterns and a review of polling.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 07:06 am
dlowan wrote:
Arrr - they have a bit of time to try and sort stuff.

This is a conservative era - eras change....

But I'd rather like a decent Opposition in the meantime. We're in for a very nasty ride.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 07:20 am
Oh my goodness yes.

We are.

(I am TRYING to be philosophical and keep my spirits up, in case you haven't noticed!)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 07:23 am
I think you're in deep, deep, denial, bunny-chops! Laughing
But this won't last. I can't last. But enjoy yourself in the meantime. :wink:
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 07:29 am
No - no - I have history on my side - thesis, antithesis - dialectic - all that - IT WILL CHANGE!!!!

I AM NOT IN DENIAL!!!!! AM NOT!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 07:33 am
To every thing, turn, turn, turn ......

OK. I believe you, Deb. :wink:
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 07:35 am
Phew....
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 07:36 am
:wink:
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 06:37 pm
WOMEN'S PAY GOES BACKWARDS IN HOWARD'S AUSTRALIA

Author: Tanya Plibersek
Publication: MED (p2, 19-11-2004)
Section: FEDERAL OPPOSITION

New figures released today show that the gap in total earnings continues to widen, with Australian women on average earning $310 per week less than their male counterparts. These Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) figures provide further evidence that wage equality in Australia is going backwards under the Howard Government. When the Howard Government took office, men on average earned $229.10 a week more than women. Now, the average gap has widened to a massive $310.10 disparity per week. That means that on average, Australian women earn $16, 170 per annum less than Australian men. For full time workers , the pay gap is $202.90 per week. The Shadow Minister for Women, Tanya Plibersek, said today: "This independent examination of the earnings of all men and women in Australia shows that women earn on average only 65.8% what men earn. "This new data is embarrassing for the government. "Most Australians believe men and women's work should be valued equally. "The Employment Minister Kevin Andrews is trumpeting the earnings of women paid under Australian Workplace Agreements (AWAs), conveniently overlooking the fact that such women are generally in the higher paid professions. "This government refuses to acknowledge or do anything about the aspiration of ordinary Australian women to be paid better for the work they do. "The Government also refuses to acknowledge that it is plain unfair that most Australian women are paid less than most Australian men. "Australia would have a better, stronger economy if the Government worked to improve women's pay and childcare services, so that more women can fully participate in the workforce and add to Australia's wealth".
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 06:53 pm
Yep - waaaay more part time and casual work for we wimmins.

Of course, that suits some folk.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 05:41 am
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2004/11/23/latham_wideweb__430x287.jpg

The front page picture from the Age this morning. Then this afternoon more anti-Latham mud from "undisclosed ALP sources". Things are not looking good for Mark. But with friends like the NSW Right, who needs enemies? God, I wish they'd get their act together. We need an opposition!

..and later...

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2004/11/24/cartoon_2511_gallery__550x389,0.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 05:56 am
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,1658,398667,00.jpg
0 Replies