The NEXT coming Oz election thread!

msolga

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 05:58 am
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,1658,395651,00.jpg
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 07:56 pm
My latest sense of outrage is directed at the plan to limit what indigenous people can buy with welfare payments (ie not alcohol).

Leaving aside the obvious racism in this plan (white welfare recipients don't have alcohol problems) and the fact that this is not a solution to any underlying problem (root causes still exist so the welfare recipient finds alternative methods to numb the pain away eg petrol sniffing) - my major gripe is the raid by the Feds (at the PMs office's command) on the National Indigenous Times office to locate leaked documents. This has to be one of the most flagrant examples of double standard and misuse of law enforcement in recent times.

While the editor of the NIT and his partner were forced to sit at their dining table with hands in plain view (while police ransacked their private abode looking for the leaked documents) he was reading the a story in the Australian based on leaked government documents. You can be damned sure the PM won't be ordering raids on any New Limited employee's homes looking for those leaked documents.

Something is very rotten in the state of John Howard's mind.

Time to get on the streets.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 09:50 pm
Hinge

Have I got this right?: The National Indigenous Times leaked the (welfare) story & was raided by the Federal police?

Somehow I've missed this in the major Oz newspapers. I tried looking up National Indigenous Times on the net, but with no success. Could we have more details, please? If I've got my facts right, it's appalling. The government want to (somehow) control what indigenous people spend their welfare payments on? How? :
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 10:00 pm
Hi Olga

Try http://news.google.com.au/news?hl=en&lr=&tab=wn&ie=UTF-8&q=indigenous+times

To see a selection of reports on the matter.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 10:13 pm
Australian PM's office orders raid on Aboriginal newspaper

SYDNEY (AFP) - Australian police raided an Aboriginal newspaper Thursday after a complaint from Prime Minister John Howard's office about leaked cabinet documents, police said Thursday.
A team of five Australian Federal Police officers raided the offices of the Indigenous Times newspaper in suburban Canberra Thursday morning and seized six documents, including a cabinet submission on a proposed welfare shake-up. A police spokeswoman said the raid was prompted by a referral from the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet over the unauthorised disclosure of government documents.

"The AFP (Australian Federal Police) executed a search warrant on the work address of the Indigenous Times newspaper and as this is an ongoing investigation it is not appropriate for me to make any further comment," she said.

Newspaper editor Chris Graham said he was stunned by the raid as he did not believe authorities in Australia would go to such lengths to seize documents from a media organisation. "They got what they were after and more," he said.

The proposed welfare shake-up, condemned by Aboriginal activists, would involve a more hardline approach towards Aboriginal people and could involve measures such as preventing children from attending local swimming schools if they did not go to school.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 10:17 pm
Oh yeah Olga, your 'how' question on limiting indigenous welfare purchases: Smart cards.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 10:27 pm
Yes, you're right, hinge. This is a scandal. Usually when documents are leaked to the media the hunt is on for the "whistle blower". In this case they want to to shoot the messenger. They would not DARE to do something like this to a "respectable" mainstream newspaper .... even the tiniest one out in the sticks somewhere! This is racist & totally reprehensible. (But, it's heartening to know that the indigenous community still has friends in the public service, who are willing to alert them to what the Liberals are up to.)

And now I think we need to find out the nitty gritty details of what Howard & co have planned for Aboriginal people on welfare. I don't think we're going to like what we find!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 10:38 pm
hingehead wrote:
Oh yeah Olga, your 'how' question on limiting indigenous welfare purchases: Smart cards.

Smart card = total loss of privacy. But for their own good, of course! This is very, very scary, say nothing of deeply offensive to the lucky Rolling Eyes indigenous recipients of government welfare! Howard is on the record as saying he wants THE SAME treatment for ALL Australians, no "special treatment" or concessions for minority groups.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 10:42 pm
Hi Olga

I know a bit about what's going on. Apparently one leaked document is a memo to John Howard from Phil Ruddock on the progress of the 'mainstreaming' of the functions previously coordinated by ATSIC. Several departments are meant to take on bits of ATSIC programs and with the help of the Indigenous Coordination Centre (Part of DIMIA) put coordinated programs in place.

The memo states that the ministers running those departments have completely failed meet the objectives set out in the original Shergold recommendations. That's dynamite within and without the cabinet.

I also know about some of the ideas being floated around in terms of 'mutual obligation' with indigenous welfare. As it was put to me: say a indigenous community out Wilcannia way wants a public swimming pool. The govt through the ICC might agree to organise the provision and staffing of the pool on the proviso that indigenous families ensure their kids go to school at least a certain amount of days per school year. If the kids do not attend school that minimum level of days than the entire family is barred from using the pool.

Noble ends, insidious means.

And can you imagine being the turnstile operator at the pool having to refuse entry to fellow members of your community? Your choice; ostracism or unemployment.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 11:04 pm
I also know about some of the ideas being floated around in terms of 'mutual obligation' with indigenous welfare. As it was put to me: say a indigenous community out Wilcannia way wants a public swimming pool. The govt through the ICC might agree to organise the provision and staffing of the pool on the proviso that indigenous families ensure their kids go to school at least a certain amount of days per school year. If the kids do not attend school that minimum level of days than the entire family is barred from using the pool.

This takes "mutual obligation" to giddier heights than we'd ever dreamed of, hinge! I think a better name for the process might be bribery! A New Start (unemployment benefit) holder simply has to show that they've contacted a requisite number of employers (in search of work) to continue receiving unemployment benefits. But if you're an unemployed Aboriginal person you might be expected to live in a Liberal condoned way, to keep receiving welfare support. I'm gob smacked. Racial discrimination, pure & simple!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 08:21 pm
Parliament, again! <sigh>
But, Of course the real action is behind the scenes. Wouldn't you just love to know the details of what the Libs are hatching for July, when the new Senate happens? Poor workers of Oz, gird your loins! Shocked Sad

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,1658,396702,00.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 09:19 pm
Uhoh! Shocked

Govt moves to implement agenda
ABC online news

The Federal Government has moved quickly in Parliament this morning to start implementing its fourth term agenda by introducing a number of bills.

They include some of the Government's election commitments like an increase in the Medicare rebate and increased schools funding.

One of the controversial workplace relations bills was also presented and the Minister, Kevin Andrews, says more industrial legislation will be introduced by the end of the year.

He has hinted he may be willing to go even further.

"I will listen to every suggestion which is put to me over the next two or three months," he said.

That has angered Labor's industrial relations spokesman Stephen Smith.

"The Government wants to go far beyond any election commitment that it took to the Australian people," he said.

It is likely the matter will be raised during the first question time of the new Parliament this afternoon.

`
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 05:29 pm
Last Update: Thursday, November 18, 2004. 9:39am (AEDT)
ABC online

Labor questions Windsor bribe investigation

The Federal Opposition wants to know why police have not interviewed Deputy Prime Minister John Anderson or Nationals Senator Sandy Macdonald over claims they tried to bribe an independent MP to give up his seat.

Both Mr Anderson and Senator Macdonald have denied offering independent MP Tony Windsor a bribe to vacate his seat of New England.

Mr Windsor has told Parliament the offer was relayed by a Tamworth businessman Greg McGuire, in front of two witnesses on May 18.

Federal police have been investigating, but Labor's Kim Carr says neither of the politicians named by Mr Windsor have been interviewed.

"I'm also surprised that the Federal Police have not sought to interview Senator Macdonald or Mr Anderson," he said.

Prime Minister John Howard has told Sydney's 2GB the allegation is unbelievable.

"I have total confidence in John Anderson, I believe fully his denial," he said.

Mr Howard says the police should be left to complete their investigations.

Mr Windsor says Mr McGuire told him that the two Nationals had indicated that there may have been a diplomatic post or a trade appointment available if he did not recontest his northern New South Wales seat.

`
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 08:46 pm
http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2004/11/18/19wilcoxtoon_gallery__550x338,0.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 07:17 am
'Go-between' gets Anderson off hook
By Michelle Grattan
November 19, 2004/the AGE

Maguire is expected to say asking Windsor not to contest his seat was all his own idea, writes Michelle Grattan.

John Anderson appears about to get off the hook over the Windsor bribery claims.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Michelle-Grattan/Gobetween-gets-Anderson-off-hook/2004/11/18/1100748141266.html
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 07:20 am
AGE POLL:

Anderson allegations
Who do you believe?

Tony Windsor - 57%

John Anderson - 22%

I'm reserving judgement until I know more - 20%

Total Votes: 3595
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 07:43 am
It's just astonishing how they manage to get off the hook so very easily, every time. Soon nobody will even bother to raise concerns. Sad
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 07:48 am
Last Update: Saturday, November 20, 2004. 0:28am (AEDT)

Mark Latham says Labor must deliver upward mobility.

Latham outlines economic agenda

Federal Opposition Leader Mark Latham has set out Labor's economic direction for the next three years, saying he wants to develop policies which appeal to middle-class workers.

Mr Latham says Labor must modernise its policies and broaden its voter base if it wants to win the next election.

Setting out what he calls his new economic agenda in a speech to the Fabian Society in Melbourne, Mr Latham said the challenge for the ALP was to develop policies which rewarded the enterprise of the middle class and helped the poor.

"I want a rising tide of economic growth to lift all boats, meeting the aspirations of the middle class while also providing new life opportunities for the poor," he said.

Mr Latham says the Opposition's business policies need to be based on the principles of flexibility and upward mobility.

He says Labor must develop industrial policies that help contractors and franchisees in disputes with large corporations.

Mr Latham says Labor must have policies that foster creativity and entrepeneurship.

"The challenge for Labor in these circumstances is to develop an economic agenda that works for all parts of society, not just some, but all parts of society," he said.

"Policies that reward the effort and enterprise of the new middle class while also overcoming the punishing cycle of underclass and inequality."

He says there needs to be greater productivity and competition in the economy.

In other developments:
The Federal Opposition has conceded that the forestry policy it took to the October election was not ideal and has promised to reconsider the details of the plan.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200411/s1247678.htm
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 07:53 am
Yep, time to really start thinking about a 3rd option. Looks like we're still on "the ladder of opportunity". Sad
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 08:59 am
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,1658,397578,00.jpg
0 Replies