The NEXT coming Oz election thread!

msolga

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 06:06 am
Laughing Laughing

Kirribilli House 'for sale'
Mario Xuereb
November 22, 2007 - 3:50PM/the AGE

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2007/11/22/FPP_02_kirribilli,0.jpg
The fake advertisement from the Domain real estate website.

Voters haven't turfed him out yet, but Prime Minister John Howard is already on the way out - or so it would seem.

An internet prankster has listed Kirribilli House, the Prime Minister's official Sydney residence, on online real estate website Domain, owned by Fairfax Media, publisher of The Age.

The stunning harbourside mansion on Sydney's North Shore, which Mr Howard has favoured over The Lodge in Canberra, is marked "open for election" and lauded for its "impressive waterfront views".

"Far superior to any old Lodge in Canberra, this house fits a family of five and provides the ultimate abode in which to be relaxed and comfortable," the listing reads.

"Perfect place to view Sydney's fireworks - especially during events like the APEC long weekend . . . ideal for extra-curricular fund-raising activities."

The listing also features a photograph of Mr Howard walking at the rear of the home and a man standing outside Kirribilli House wearing a "Kevin 07" T-shirt.

It continues: "Tried twice before to evict the current tenant and it's looking like it's third time lucky".

Kirribilli is listed as open for inspection, you guessed it, on election day. ...<cont>

http://www.theage.com.au/news/federalelection2007/kirribilli-house-for-sale/2007/11/22/1195321932510.html
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 06:11 am
farmerman wrote:
You will post results for those of us not fortunate enough to get AUssie radio.

PS , what are some Australian stations that have live streaming broadcasts?

Oh absolutely, farmer!

The ABC (national broadcaster) is the best source of information:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/

I think there's a radio link on this site somewhere. I'll check it out later for you. (It's getting late.)
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 06:14 am
farmerman wrote:
You will post results for those of us not fortunate enough to get AUssie radio.

PS , what are some Australian stations that have live streaming broadcasts?

Your best bet for coverage is from the ABC.

http://www.abc.net.au/elections/federal/2007/
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 06:28 am
Is it just me, or is Kevin07 looking more & more like Bert Newton every day?

Razz
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 06:32 am
It's just you.

Just keep thinking.
4%
4%
4%

That's the national swing to Labor we need to see for a change of government.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 06:37 am
No, check him out closely, Wilso! Laughing

OK!:

4%, 4%,4%, 4%, 4%,4%,!!!!!!

Very Happy
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 06:46 am
He's been getting advice from Mike Rann, our premier, who is driving me crazy! Shudder. He sounds like bloody Rann!

Well, I voted today (I postal vote)

I'm noivous.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 03:56 pm
Yep, I'm a little nervous too.

The Jackie Kelly kerfuffle is so not a surprise. She was my minister for a while and she was way out of her depth. Never her saw her talk where she didn't mention that she was once an elite rower. She used to drive her ministerial staff spare because she could never read a speech off a bit of paper.

She's just a westie, proud of her ignorance. That her husband and her successor's husband were involved shows and that she thought it was a bit of a lark shows just how clueless she is. I bet Howard was shocked when she won the seat from labour, and dismayed when he understood her political calibre.

Interesting to see the Eden-Monaro thing on Kerry last night. They all like Nairn (the sitting lib) but they all say that unfortunately he'll pay for being in the wrong party.

John and Brian were a hoot too. Mostly John Howard going 'Boo!' a lot. Not on youtube yet but here's an obag:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z72Vl-BuIyE
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 03:56 pm
Oh yeah.

Theme music for saturday night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOEq-ImGWJ0
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 11:34 pm
dlowan wrote:
He's been getting advice from Mike Rann, our premier, who is driving me crazy! Shudder. He sounds like bloody Rann!

Well, I voted today (I postal vote)

I'm noivous.

Crikey!

A combination of Bert Newton & Mike Rann! Shocked

Blimey! Shocked

But who cares? I don't care in the slightest if this means the end of the the most dishonest, the meanest & slimiest, most opportunistic & heartless government I've ever known!

Hell, I would vote for Bert Newton, anyone, to see the last of this lot!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 12:22 am
msolga wrote:
Jeez, what's the country coming to? I mean racism worked a treat in the 2004 campaign, didn't it?! Rolling Eyes
Remember "Children Overboard"?.

Correction: 2001 that was, actually.

It's all become a horrible, extended JH time warp to me, I'm afraid! Confused
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 12:43 am
http://www.theage.com.au/news/federal-election-2007-news/new-poll-tips-cliffhanger/2007/11/23/1195753259333.html
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 12:49 am
Landslide or cliff hanger?:

Labor - but Howard still a chance
November 23, 2007 - 10:03AM/the AGE

Two out of three polls released on the eve of the Federal election predict a clear win for Labor, but a third shows John Howard still in with a chance.

A Nielsen poll has the Coalition facing annihilation, and a Morgan poll says the ALP will win in a close contest despite a rise in support for the Coalition.

But the latest Galaxy poll suggests the election will be much closer and gives the Coalition a chance of snatching a surprise win.

A telephone poll conducted by Roy Morgan research on November 21 and 22 showed that on a two-party preferred basis, support for the coalition rose one point to 45.5 per cent, while support for the ALP dropped one point to 54.5 per cent.

This represented a swing of 7.2 points to the ALP since the 2004 Federal election, spokesman Gary Morgan said.

However, in 22 key Coalition marginal seats the swing was less at 5.2 points to the ALP, he said.

Sixty-three per cent of voters polled thought Labor would win tomorrow's Federal election, compared to 22.5 per cent who backed the coalition to win, while 14.5 per cent were undecided.

"With a day to go, the ALP is set to win the Federal election," Mr Morgan said.

"Marginal seat polling in 22 Coalition seats finds the ALP three per cent ahead: 51.5 per cent compared to (the Coalition's) 48.5 per cent," he said.

"This suggests an ALP gain of between 14 and 20 seats even with the likelihood of Labor losing a seat in Western Australia."

Labor needs to win 16 seats to claim victory.

The latest Galaxy poll of 1200 voters was taken on Tuesday and Wednesday for News Ltd, before the revelations of a bogus leaflet scandal that threatens to hand a key marginal Sydney seat to Labor.

It found the Coalition stands at 48 per cent with Labor on 52 per cent on a two-party preferred basis, with both parties even in the primary vote stakes on 42.5 per cent.

However, a Nielsen poll of 2,071 voters, taken between Monday and Wednesday for Fairfax's Sydney Morning Herald and Melbourne Age newspapers, suggests a massive win for Labor.

It found Labor leads the primary vote by 48 per cent to 40 per cent, giving it a two-party preferred lead of 57 per cent to 43 per cent.

The figures represent a 10-point swing to Labor since the 2004 election, more than twice what Labor needs to win the 16 seats it must pick up to form Government.

AAP

http://www.theage.com.au/news/federal-election-2007-news/new-poll-tips-cliffhanger/2007/11/23/1195753259333.html
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 12:56 am
http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2007/11/22/231107editoon_gallery__600x330,0.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 12:57 am
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2007/11/22/svCARTOON_NOV23_gallery__571x400.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 01:27 am
I have read so much in the past week about the pros & cons of changing the current Oz leadership for a Labor alternative. And the historiacal "legacy" of the Howard government.
Here are a few of the articles that have stuck with me.:

When the luck finally runs out
Robert Manne, professor of politics at La Trobe University (Victoria)
November 23, 2007/the AGE

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2007/11/22/svOPED_NOV23_narrowweb__300x350,0.jpg
Illustration: Andrew Dyson

UNLESS scores of astonishingly consistent opinion polls have been systematically misleading, tomorrow the Howard Government will be voted out. How will historians judge it?

Not every judgement will be negative. Even though foreign and personal debt are at record levels, the nation is far wealthier than ever in its history. The Howard Government will be praised for its part in creating the conditions for non-inflationary growth, with low levels of unemployment, but without dismantling the basic pillars of the welfare state. It will also be praised for introducing the GST and using this new tax to finance the states; for introducing effective gun control; and, despite early missteps, for helping East Timor gain its independence.

Compared to the harm it has done to Australia, however, all this will seem relatively trivial. Stimulated by the Hansonite movement, from 1996 the Howard Government has waged a protracted culture war against what it called "political correctness".The abandonment of multiculturalism was paralleled by the attempt of the Howard Government to deny the moral meaning of the indigenous dispossession. It refused to apologise to the thousands of Aborigines who had been removed, as children, from their mothers and communities. It destroyed the prospect of a symbolic act of reconciliation at the centenary of Federation. The Prime Minister personally encouraged a new denialist school of history, pioneered by Keith Windschuttle.

The abandonment of both the aspiration for multiculturalism and the quest for reconciliation had no direct electoral impact. The Government's callous treatment of asylum seekers, fleeing from the Taliban or Saddam Hussein, did.Tampa was the defining political moment in the history of the Howard Government.John Howard was in Washington on September 11. He made two decisions that dominated the second half of his prime ministership and will determine his reputation.

Howard signed a blank cheque in favour of the United States in its war on terror.On September 10, Howard was offered a choice by President Bush: to go with Europe on climate change or to support the US in opposition to binding national carbon emission targets and the Kyoto Treaty. Howard chose to follow the US on global warming, wherever it might go.

Unprecedented international co-operation is the only chance humanity now has for avoiding real disaster. ...<cont>

http://www.theage.com.au/news/opinion/when-the-luck-finally-runs-out/2007/11/22/1195321945509.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 01:27 am
I have read so much in the past week about the pros & cons of changing the current Oz leadership for a Labor alternative. And the historical "legacy" of the Howard government.
Here are a few of the articles that have stuck with me.:

When the luck finally runs out
Robert Manne, professor of politics at La Trobe University (Victoria)
November 23, 2007/the AGE

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2007/11/22/svOPED_NOV23_narrowweb__300x350,0.jpg
Illustration: Andrew Dyson

UNLESS scores of astonishingly consistent opinion polls have been systematically misleading, tomorrow the Howard Government will be voted out. How will historians judge it?

Not every judgement will be negative. Even though foreign and personal debt are at record levels, the nation is far wealthier than ever in its history. The Howard Government will be praised for its part in creating the conditions for non-inflationary growth, with low levels of unemployment, but without dismantling the basic pillars of the welfare state. It will also be praised for introducing the GST and using this new tax to finance the states; for introducing effective gun control; and, despite early missteps, for helping East Timor gain its independence.

Compared to the harm it has done to Australia, however, all this will seem relatively trivial. Stimulated by the Hansonite movement, from 1996 the Howard Government has waged a protracted culture war against what it called "political correctness".The abandonment of multiculturalism was paralleled by the attempt of the Howard Government to deny the moral meaning of the indigenous dispossession. It refused to apologise to the thousands of Aborigines who had been removed, as children, from their mothers and communities. It destroyed the prospect of a symbolic act of reconciliation at the centenary of Federation. The Prime Minister personally encouraged a new denialist school of history, pioneered by Keith Windschuttle.

The abandonment of both the aspiration for multiculturalism and the quest for reconciliation had no direct electoral impact. The Government's callous treatment of asylum seekers, fleeing from the Taliban or Saddam Hussein, did.Tampa was the defining political moment in the history of the Howard Government.John Howard was in Washington on September 11. He made two decisions that dominated the second half of his prime ministership and will determine his reputation.

Howard signed a blank cheque in favour of the United States in its war on terror.On September 10, Howard was offered a choice by President Bush: to go with Europe on climate change or to support the US in opposition to binding national carbon emission targets and the Kyoto Treaty. Howard chose to follow the US on global warming, wherever it might go.

Unprecedented international co-operation is the only chance humanity now has for avoiding real disaster. ...<cont>

http://www.theage.com.au/news/opinion/when-the-luck-finally-runs-out/2007/11/22/1195321945509.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 01:44 am
You must have been really impressed with that article Msolga.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 01:45 am
Australians have a chance to prove they're not all that bad
November 21, 2007/the AGE

We could go down in history as greedy, gullible, mean-spirited, selfish, short-sighted and tight-fisted, writes Catherine Deveny.

WHEN you find yourself at the ballot box on Saturday, remember, my friends, that this is a rare opportunity to make a difference to the soul of Australia.

Our participation in public life is limited to five minutes every three years and an election like this only comes about once in a lifetime. In four days you will have an impact on the history and the direction of our country. Your vote will affect people who haven't even been born yet. You'll have an opportunity to stand up and say, "We're better than this." Braver than this. Smarter than this. And more compassionate than this. And bigger than this. We are not afraid of the future. We are shamed by our recent past. But united by the possibility of the future. And hope.

This election is an intelligence test. A test to prove we can see past the spin, the dog whistles, the short-sighted rhetoric, the scare campaigns, the pork-barrelling and the fearmongering. A test to show that we are smarter than the Government gives us credit for.

If we do not seize this opportunity for change we will go down in history as the most greedy, gullible, mean-spirited, selfish, short-sighted, tight-fisted generation in the history of Australia. How will it feel sitting in front of that $5000 plasma TV watching reruns of American reality shows, wearing clothes manufactured in a sweat shop and sitting on a sofa made by Third World slaves? How will that feel when our public education and hospitals have been gutted and our environment corroded to a point of no return? How will it feel knowing we have turned our back on people who need us most: the poor, the broken, the scared, the sick, the elderly and the vulnerable? How will it feel when you turn to your children and say, "I believed him"?

On Saturday, you can prove that what is in your heart and on your conscience is more important than what's in your hip pocket. You'll be able to say to your grandchildren that you voted for better. You voted for truth. You voted for imagination. You voted for all of us, not just for the white middle-class working families who have never had it so good.

Our family has never been better off because we are one of those white middle-class working families.

But not all of us are working. We are not all white. We do not all speak English. We are not all heterosexual. And we are not all families. But we all deserve a life of dignity, peace and fairness.

I don't have to imagine how it feels to be an outsider. I know. I know how it feels to be a child and have our home sold from under us. I know how it feels to live with parents crushed by poverty and paralysed by hopelessness. I know how it feels when you can't afford to go to camp and instead have to wave the bus goodbye. I know how it feels to know that you are poor.

But like many people from the working classes, I also know how it feels to be given a chance. And the thrill of achievement beyond your wildest expectations. To live the better life for which our families courageously fled poverty, war, persecution and famine.

Opportunity is created only through vision, tolerance, acceptance and imagination. I was the first person in my family to graduate from university. And many have followed since. At the time it seemed as though the club was being dismantled, but this Government has almost finished building a new clubhouse. And this one is surrounded by razor wire, security guards and X-ray machines.

This election is a gift. Look back at the past 11 years and imagine the next decade as more of the same. The divides becoming wider, the damage becoming irreversible and the lies and deceit in politics becoming normal.

On Saturday you will have a rare opportunity to prove to our past, to our present and to our future that we are better than this. And we are not stupid enough to swallow the short way round but the long way home. At my grade 6 graduation, I stood side by side with Greeks, Yugoslavs, Macedonians, Poles, Italians and Maltese and we sang: "I'm as Greek as a Souvlaki, I'm as Irish as a stew, I'm as Italian as spaghetti, I'm as Danish as a blue, I'm as German as a dumpling, Middle Eastern as a lamb. I'm an Aussie, yes I'm an Aussie, yes I am."

And we believed it.

Over the past 11 years, I have lost faith in the Australian people. I've felt shame at the spin they have swallowed, the politicians they have believed and the values they have embraced. I'm horrified at how politicians have chosen to lead our country using fear over faith, greed over bounty and us and them over we. I just hope I am not alone. There's plenty for all of us.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/opinion/australians-have-a-chance-to-prove-theyre-not-all-that-bad/2007/11/20/1195321779089.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 01:58 am
dadpad wrote:
You must have been really impressed with that article Msolga.

Laughing

No, I think I've got a bad case of the jitters, dadpad!
0 Replies