Cheney: Kerry campaign took poll to decide response.........

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 02:33 am
Story on yahoo about Cheney's statement that the Kerry campaign undertook polling to figure out what Kerry's public response to the bin Laden tape should consist of.

Interesting, that Kerry's guys first response was to not deny Kerry had done so, but to allege that Bush conducted his own poll.

Hilarious!

Then, not so funny:

Quote:
Asked whether Kerry's polls included questions about the videotape, Lockhart said, "We don't talk about our internal polls."

Doesn't anyone else worry about Kerry and his ability to take any action that is necessary, but unpopular?

To act like a grownup?

Now, I know I'll have about a dozen or so A2kers jumping on this thread to bash Bush, and Frank will call him a moron, but think about this and answer the question:

Is Kerry truly fit to lead our country?

Link: http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=694&u=/ap/20041031/ap_on_el_pr/cheney_37&printer=1
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,120 • Replies: 20
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 05:35 am
I see no problem with not discussing one's 'inner pole', it's just not polite. Okay, I'm leaving now. Laughing
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 05:37 am
Cav! Laughing

Yes, he will be a great leader.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 08:16 am
If Cheney is the one who started this, then that figures.

But anyway, from what I can tell both compaigns were a little slow to comment on the bin laden tape.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 02:30 pm
Quite reasonably so - it was a difficult thing to respond to.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 02:36 pm
Quote:
Doesn't anyone else worry about Kerry and his ability to take any action that is necessary, but unpopular?

It's a campaign. I can't imagine that you think that this doesn't happen in Bush's campaign. And he's been campaigning since he got elected.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 03:15 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Quote:

It's a campaign. I can't imagine that you think that this doesn't happen in Bush's campaign. And he's been campaigning since he got elected.

You appear to be missing the point, FD. The question was whether you have a concern that Kerry will be able to make tough decisions, or will he only make popular decisions, regardless of whether they are the right decisions, solely based on whether they will please the most people. Asked another way, has Kerry done anything that would lead you to believe he has the backbone to take a position that he felt was unpopular? Does Kerry have the courage of his convictions?

If this was all just a campaign to Bush, why would he take a necessary, but unpopular course of action? Certainly a risky move, politically speaking, don't you agree.

Why should anyone feel they have ever seen the real Kerry, and not just the talking points, focus group, poll driven, nuanced Kerry?
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 03:25 pm
Quote:
Does Kerry have the courage of his convictions?

And the incumbent does?

Quote:
It doesn't matter how long it takes as far as I'm concerned. There's no cave deep enough. We're going to hunt them down

Quote:
I'll repeat what I said. I truly am not that concerned about him
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 03:47 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
Quote:

You appear to be missing the point, FD. The question was whether you have a concern that Kerry will be able to make tough decisions, or will he only make popular decisions, regardless of whether they are the right decisions, solely based on whether they will please the most people. Asked another way, has Kerry done anything that would lead you to believe he has the backbone to take a position that he felt was unpopular? Does Kerry have the courage of his convictions?

I got the point, Tico. My point is it is silly to make the conclusion that Kerry can only do what is popular based on his campaign performance.

Quote:

If this was all just a campaign to Bush, why would he take a necessary, but unpopular course of action? Certainly a risky move, politically speaking, don't you agree.

Why should anyone feel they have ever seen the real Kerry, and not just the talking points, focus group, poll driven, nuanced Kerry?

I don't feel that I've seen the real Bush, other than the few gaffs that quickly get brushed up by the superb message control of the Republican party. My point, which maybe you missed, is that both of them are nothing but talking points, focus groups, etc right now. This whole topic of conversation is talking points inspired, and I'll let you take a guess who's.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 03:48 pm
Oh, and to answer the question, no, I don't have the concern that Kerry won't be able to make tough decisions.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 03:57 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Oh, and to answer the question, no, I don't have the concern that Kerry won't be able to make tough decisions.

Okay. If he's elected, I hope you're right. But how have you reached your conclusion? I take it Kerry doesn't come across to you, taking your slightly partisan-colored hat off for the moment, as very fuzzy on how he will prosecute the war on terror? But he sure does to me. This latest news just reinforces that further. I mean, OBL/UBL make a new video, and Kerry has to take a poll to see how he should respond?

But maybe I still have my hat on ....
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 04:01 pm
Even when politicians know what they want to say, they still do polls on how to say it, even as detailed as which words to emphasise. This proves nothing.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 04:03 pm
Well, I'll be honest, Tico, the war on terror isn't the highest concern on my list -- I could tell you why but that's the subject of another thread. And I'll be honest again, I don't expect specific, detailed plans from someone who isn't yet president. I've never expected it from any candidate in any election. I vote for someone based on my assessment that they will hold ideals that are somewhat consistent with mine.

Kerry seems to me someone who is at least aware of the magnitude of the responsibility of the office we are trying to elect him to. And someone who is as prepared as anyone could ever be to be president. I'm an internationalist -- so is Kerry.

I confess, I didn't take off my partisan hat, as it's attached to my head.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 04:04 pm
Einherjar wrote:
Even when politicians know what they want to say, they still do polls on how to say it, even as detailed as which words to emphasise. This proves nothing.

I'm not saying it proves anything; it just reinforces a notion I already had.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 04:07 pm
Well it isn't much good for reinforcing either.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 04:08 pm
Whenever I have to make an important decision I usually ask around too - I want to make sure I haven't missed anything and that I make the most informed decision that I can.

Personally, I can't wait to have a president who cares what other people think and who doesn't believe his inital gut reaction to things is God's personal handiwork.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 04:19 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Besides his Vietnam service, we haven't seen any decisions from Kerry that would make him the right person for the job. He voted against the first Gulf war and wanted to talk even though we had a coalition. I don't see anything from Kerry that says he would use military force. He would rather give it the UN to make the decision for him. Quite sad if you ask me.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 04:50 pm
What you mean, Baldimo, is that he hasn't made any decisions that you agree with. But he has made decisions, and I'm sure some of them were plenty tough.

The part about leaving tough decisions to the UN is more talking points.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 05:17 pm
Kerry will win because Bush is the wrong man for the job. The election is about Bush (as it should be).

Kerry has shown he will be an OK president. If he happens to be a great presidents, that is just an added bonus.

But this election is about Bush, and Bush losing tomorrow is all that really matters.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 05:22 pm
Quote:
Is Kerry truly fit to lead our country?

Absolutely. And Bush is NOT fit to lead this country, and never WAS.
0 Replies