mac11

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 11:57 am
superjuly, here are a couple of sites with calorie info on sushi:

http://homepage3.nifty.com/maryy/eng/calorie.htm

http://www.annecollins.com/calories/calories-sushi.htm
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 02:02 pm
Thanks thanks thanks Mac11... Some good stuff you've found there. I can never google these things that good! Confess they're a little more caloric than I expected... but hey! no biggie... I bet it is much much better than shoving down a BigMac, as per say... Smile And much more delicious...

As for Portal Star... Got it. Got it. Hmm... Got it. The salmon nigiri is one of my favs as well. I have no prob with the raw fish, now that I have actually tried it. lol... So, living right off the coast helps I guess. Fish must be always fresh... Better be. Otherwise, needless to say I would probably find out the hard way anyway. he he I definitely don't want to go down that road... ewww.

Funny that you mentioned how the sushi chef being japanese helps... It does make a lot of sense, but someone who has had intense and quality training/experience could do as good. Maybe. But I hear ya! I guess they take pride in what they do. You'd be surprised how many restaurants in town have non-japanese chefs, though. Some good, some not so good.
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 02:05 pm
Oh yeah.. I should correct this Chicago, IL... Recently moved! sorry!
I'll get to it... soon. Wink
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 02:09 pm
I just had a glance at the caloric tables. You have to take into account which sushi has deep fried bits in it, or a high sugar content, like BBQ eel, which is basted in a sweetened sauce, or even things like avocado (high fat). However, when you get an assorted plate, the bites are so small, some of those extra calories are negligible in the long run.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 02:17 pm
I used to have potluck Fridays at my office -- everyone would bring in homemade stuff. A Korean student brought THE BEST (homemade) sushi I have ever, ever had.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 02:32 pm
If you knew sushi like I know sushi...

Sorry, just had to sing it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 03:59 pm
Sing out, brother! Very Happy

Yellowtail. Give me yellowtail.
If you're having Japanese food with me, make sure to ask for extra pickled ginger, because I love the stuff - and I won't Evil or Very Mad share.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 04:21 pm
Pickled Ginger....I had no idea Tina Louise was a lush. Okay, enough of that...Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 04:24 pm
Extra pickled. Very Happy
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 06:17 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Sing out, brother! Very Happy

Yellowtail. Give me yellowtail.
If you're having Japanese food with me, make sure to ask for extra pickled ginger, because I love the stuff - and I won't Evil or Very Mad share.

eww... lol I hate that stuff! You can have all of mine..
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 06:32 pm
We had lots of chocolate sushi last night.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 06:40 pm
Pickled ginger martini's are all the rage right now. You should try one, they're pretty good.

And, of course, anyone of any nationality could potentially make a great sushi chef. However, it has been my experience that Japanese and Korean sushi chefs are the best, probably because they get the most experience with the cuisine and are trained (Japanese sushi chefs usually won't train anyone non-Japanese.) The quality of the sushi is completely dependent on the sushi chef, as they usually do everything from ordering the fish to putting it on your plate.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 07:40 pm
And, the quality is dependent on the refrigeration, and past that on the fish selection for absolute freshness and prime cuts, and so on. But not only the fish, all the other elements are important.

Hmmm, I am about to go googling..

And I'm back... Matsuhisa

I haven't eaten there myself, by some mavens I know appreciate it. There's another primo place downtown, forget its name right now.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 02:10 pm
That's very interesting reading! And I will go to the sushi place on Wednesday...

They have the all-you-can-eat running sushi. BigDice just told me that one of our friends had 95 dishes... Ugghhh!
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 03:35 pm
Has anybody here made sushi at home?

Where do you find the fish?

Was it good?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 03:37 pm
I don't like sushi at all. I tried it under the pressure of my hubby and the minute it was in my mouth, I gagged and had to spit it into my napkin. At the table. In a restaurant. It will be a long time before I ever try sushi again.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 03:39 pm
Most fishmongers sell sashimi quality fish, it just has to be ultra fresh. Note that most "sushi" doesn't have any raw fish in it. That is sashimi.

In more rural areas, sometimes you can find it here:

http://orpheus.ucsd.edu/rkacmar/Live_Bait2.jpg
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 03:41 pm
Wait...wait a minute love....same thing for me...it was a sea urchin...yuck

Start with a California roll...no fish

sushi is a rice roll not raw fish...try it again...for me.??
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 03:44 pm
cjhsa wrote:

In more rural areas, sometimes you can find it here:

Laughing
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 03:55 pm
You can get sushi grade fish at Whole Foods.

I bought my daughter a sushi kit (rolling mat, book, plates, dishes for soy sauce) at Barnes&Noble
0 Replies