Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 01:10 pm
Ok... So I had never tried one of these little things because they are mainly made with raw fish. I used to say "I hate it" even though I had never tried it. Just recently my sister took me to a place and I decided, ok, why not try one? LOVED IT. I can't get enough of it. It has become my favorite dish. I know quite a few people who tried it for the first time and didn't like it, but tried it again and again and eventually gave in to it. Anyone with a similar experience? And for the ones who don't like it.... is it the raw fish or some other factor? Or you simply don't like it?

Now I wonder... Does anyone know a site with sushi and sashimi calories info? If so, please let me know! :wink:

Thanks...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,407 • Replies: 56
No top replies

panzade

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 01:13 pm
welcome super...I'd guess most of us found our craving for sushi the same way...we misunderstood the word sushi...and it's not about raw fish.

Enjoy
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 01:15 pm
I love sushi! In our small town, of course, you can't get it... But I am going out with a friend on Wednesday to a bigger town where they have a pretty good sushi place.

However, I CAN get enough of it. It must be the protein, I guess. Suddenly, my body says STOP and I cannot eat one more tiny piece of raw fish - until next time...
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 01:16 pm
Me 2 Urs...Found out at a sushi buffet...$9.95 all you can eat...Urggghhh
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 01:17 pm
I never tried it because I thought raw fish, no way, but I'll give in one day. I'll let you know.
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 01:28 pm
Montana wrote:
I never tried it because I thought raw fish, no way, but I'll give in one day. I'll let you know.

I guess I wasn't the only one.. lol

Panzade... I know I know.. sushi, sashimi... Smile
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 01:31 pm
urs53.... I never had more than 15 at once... I can't imagine myself at an "ayce" sushi bar... oboy! lol

I usually settle for 10...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 03:53 pm
gimme it all, lotsa wasabi, and some sweet soy.

We get nori weed in MAine by harvesting it from rocks, Catch you a tuna and slap it in some nori like a good ole tekka maki. damn good eatin. Finest kind.

However,I cant stand those "city rolls" like a chi roll, or philly roll
they add mayo or cream cheese blaach.Also, not a big fan of veggie rolls with avocado guts.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 04:06 pm
urs53 wrote:

However, I CAN get enough of it. It must be the protein, I guess. Suddenly, my body says STOP and I cannot eat one more tiny piece of raw fish - until next time...

Years ago, the same thing happened to me, with yoghurt. I loved the stuff, and ate it every day for lunch. All of a sudden, I could not stand to even look at it. I did not eat any for about 10 years, and now I like it again. Go figure! Confused
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 09:03 pm
Technically, "sushi" means "seasoned rice", and has nothing to do with raw fish. Plain rice is called "gohan". Sushi comes in a variety of forms, some raw, some cooked. Calorie-wise, it is very low, so don't worry about it, but if you are watching carbs or sodium, you should be careful. I love both sushi and sashimi myself. Hell, I love Japanese food in general.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 09:05 pm
I'm into Korean BBQ myself. A lot of those joints in Vancouver
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 09:11 pm
Korean food rocks. We went out to a great Korean restaurant here with my brother and his wife, that also happened to serve sushi, and the number of free appetizers we were given was staggering.
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 06:45 am
I had Korean food once to never again. Maybe I went to the wrong place... It was in a Korean neighborhood. Shouldn't these places have the best?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 07:12 am
Some places are better than others superjuly, even in the right locations.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 07:56 am
Years ago, a friend and I used to go to a little Korean place near where we lived. We usually got there when there were no other customers; when the family that ran the place was eating their own dinner. They'd bring us small portions of whatever they had going, no matter if it was on the menu! I got to try lots of Korean things I wouldn't have otherwise... If you can get a recommendation from someone you know, superjuly, try Korean again -- especially if you like garlic! Smile
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 09:11 am
Maybe I will... I love garlic!! hmmm... Very Happy
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 09:13 am
I hope you like spicy as well superjuly....some of that Korean food is fiery! But it hurts so good when you get the quality stuff...
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 11:47 am
I am a total sushi addict.

The secret to liking sushi is getting it when it's in season, and at a good restaurant where it's very, very fresh.

My very favorite is the fatty salmon nigiri (nigiri means that the fish sits on top of a rice ball). And, if you're uncomfortable with raw food, just start out with cooked rolls - there are plenty of cooked sushi rolls to introduce you to this food genre - like the very popular california roll.

How do you know a good sushi restaurant?
A. Are there Japanese/Korean sushi chefs and Japanese/Korean people there?
B. Did it get good food reviews? (you can look these up for your town online)
C. Do your sushi-eating friends (who go to a lot of places) reccomend it?
D. The restaurant should be one that specializes in sushi, not just one that has it on the side of, say, chinese. (I've had exceptions to this rule, but most of the time this stuff sucks.)

You can tell if the sushi is fresh once you order it - it should be slippery and wet, give a slight resistance in your mouth, and not smell or taste fishy unless it's from salt water.

A lot of people like tuna, if it's fresh. Just about everybody likes Salmon (sake), and it's good all the time because they keep it frozen after a yearly harvest. Yellowtail is refreshing, and a lot of people like eel (although I don't like the texture.) Cooked shrimp is a good starter, b/c it's familiar and great loaded up with wasabi. I love octopus (tako) but not everyone does. It's good to start out with a sampler when you're new to this stuff, and ask for a tour of the fish.

And, in case you're wondering, it's perfectly polite to load the entire piece of sushi into your mouth and chew. It's not nibbling food.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 11:52 am
So what's sashimi?
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 11:55 am
mac11 wrote:
So what's sashimi?

Sashimi is just the sliced pieces of fish, it's not on rice or with anything.

I prefer the nigiri and rolls to sashimi, because just the fish by itself can be a little overpowering.
0 Replies